Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

good alarm...ideas pls

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 09:44 AM
YodaIsGod

Default good alarm...ideas pls

my car got broken into....need ideas for the best alarm money can buy.

or

should I just buy a pitt bull and have him sit next to my car every night?!
Old 09-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: good alarm...ideas pls (YodaIsGod)

First off, sorry to hear that.... Second, my stereo equipment is insured. Third, I have the simplist of alarms with hood, trunk, door pins, and also a fuel kill. If it's going to get stolen, it has to be towed. Since I do my own work, I rely on placing things in an uncommon place. All alarms work the same, the difference comes in additional features and channel outputs.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:13 PM
New User

That sucks. You have probably just found out how easy it is to break into a civic. I have a Viper alarm on my ride that i installed after $1,500 worth of stereo equipment got jacked. Kinda like locking the barn door after the cows gone but live and learn.

E-mail me privately. i have developed several strategies to make civics less break-into-able but i don't want the world to know.

Mike
Old 09-17-2001, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, no alarm will prevent your car from getting broken into. No one cares about sirens now-a-days. Any security system will only make it more difficult for the bastards to actually take your car, but none will ever make them not be able to break into your car. A starter kill, fuel kill, whatever kill doesn't do jack when all they want is to break in and not actually take the car. If you still want a good alarm, I like the Clifford Intelliguard/Concept lines (both lines are the same, they just use diff names for marketing) and the new Viper 800 isn't too bad. I used to not like Vipers cuz the old ones had really flimsy remotes and always broke on my friends, but the new ones look a lot better. I've only had experience with the Viper 800 from their new line, so I'm not sure about the lower models. Get an additional fuel kill swith and either a self-powered siren or one powered by an alternate hidden battery. HTH.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:18 PM
New User

should I just buy a pitt bull and have him sit next to my car every night?!
That's what I have. Seems to work out very well.
Old 09-18-2001, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: good alarm...ideas pls (DeceitfulCivic)

Trust me... If they want your car, they'll find a way. I rode around with a Repo man for about a month, dogs or not. Just set-up the alarm with a hood pin, trunk pin, and a horn honk as an extra to the basic features that the alarm has. The idea of an alarm is to give a theif the option to go somewhere else for a car.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: good alarm...ideas pls (MrDX)

Alarms don't do ****. If you're going to waste your money make sure you get one with a battery-backed up siren that will continue to chirp after the battery is pulled. Also do what others have said, fuel cut-off, autolock, etc. But I'm talking from experience, if they want it, they can still get it. Mine must have been ripped on a flat bead. Anything will be done if they want it bad enough.