Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Going to have about 50 bucks to spend on anything for my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to have about 50 bucks to spend on anything for my car

and I'm trying to decide from a few items. This is the highest amount I have been able to spend on myself in a long while so I want to spend it on my car.

First off is some HID lights. There's some cheap ones on Fleabay kits are like 40 bucks shipped I would probably get 5 kelvin or 6 kelvin styles. It's easy to install as well.

Second, some Fogs. I like the look of fogs and the install would be kinda hard.

Thirdly a fleabay cai, I bought a short ram air and I can really feel the difference higher up but kills my lowend and I hated how loud it was (except for when vtec kicked in ) and it would probably improve mileage as well

Fourth is some fleabay headers just for the heck of it, you know? I don't really care how shitty they are they just seem like they would be fun to have on :D

lastly would be the "responsible" thing for me to do and put the ~50 down towards buying something for my future auto to manual swap.

I just have a really bad urge to buy something and put it on my car
Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to have about 50 bucks to spend on anything for my car

The only difference you felt with your intake was sound and vibration.

For $50? You know what you can do, save it... Car's are not clothes, they're transportation.

1) Fogs aren't the hardest to install, if you can't install a set of foglights, then working on cars probably isn't your thing.
2) cheap Header will definitely crack and probably won't even fit your o2 sensor which will lead to a CEL and running rich.
3) YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC? Oh my goodness. I like that last idea, or just put $50 to gas.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're on clubcivic too aren't you? lol your name looks familiar.

and I was saying that they are the hardest of the bunch to install, not hard in general.

I have gas money, I just really have a bad itch to work on my car and it needs to be scratched

Is there anything portraying to an auto to manual swap that I can buy for about 50 bucks? If I don't use it on my car then it will be used towards something else and I would really just like something car related >.<
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, now your username sounds familiar too.

True true. But with $50, you'll have MORE GAS MONEY!

With $50, that's like asking to go to Chuck E Cheese with 50 cents, you won't get much.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What about some lowering springs? These are some pretty cheap ones from Tein http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEIN-S-TECH-...40c122&vxp=mtr

I could sell some other stuff I guess to get that much. What do you think? I have always hated my stock ride feel and stiffer springs would feel real nice
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd first like to mention, this thread isn't directly tech, you should've posted it at ClubCivic which is more of a discussional forum, this is for more of the important tech Q&A's.
Springs: Ride height
Shocks: Maintain ride height, absorb shock.

If you don't have $500, don't start thinking about it, it's been proven NOT WORTH IT. Also, if you do get the springs, how will you get it onto your shocks without the proper tools?
CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Shocks can only handle so much pressure, with lowering springs, especially on stock shocks you really compromise the reliability of your shocks and end up riding a boat... Seriously, I rode in a vehicle with low set GC coilovers on stock shocks (BLOWN because of the springs) and it felt like I was in the ocean driving a boat.

For $50, or $20 I guess you can just get a 240mm convex rear view mirror, clips onto stock.
Name:  HYOGK.png
Views: 14
Size:  526.2 KBName:  oNQCP.png
Views: 7
Size:  539.0 KB

Spend about $5 on a 48-led panel for the dome light.
This is what I got, makes the interior much brighter.
Amazon Amazon

but really, if you need to change your brake pads, or service your vehicle. Do that first.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i'm going to get that dome led light, looks pretty cool. And I also plan on replacing the struts after I finish my auto to manny swap and getting these springs would really help with learning about my car idk im kinda on the fence about it and I have the tools except for the spring compressor which I can rent from Autozone

Next time I'll make a thread on Clubcivic didn't think about that thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff with the dome light...didnt realize it was that cheap, just last night I said to myself how dull my interior light was haha. But Im with him on the money, save up. Just remember, on eBay, you always get what you pay for. Take it from someone who has bought exhaust/ intake there. Its mostly junk. Take the $50 for some maintenance, im sure theres something your car could use.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are only going to spend 50.00 save it this month. next month save 50 more.
Etc.....
You see where this is going?
Ebay crap is just that, crap.
Not all "go fast" parts make your car go faster.
Some have the opposite effect,even the brand name ones.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI HID lights are illegal in cars that didnt come with them stock in california.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

save it and do a manual swap in the future, do not buy unsafe Ebay crap.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
FYI HID lights are illegal in cars that didnt come with them stock in california.
THANK YOU! cannot stand people who run HIDs in non-retrofitted headlamps.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy some bushings or ball joints. these will improve the drivability of your old worn out ride.

But 50 bucks isnt much. My headgasket cost 65. rotor cap and other misc stuff cost almost 50 bucks..

read this before blowing your cash

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-your-dream-car-101-a-3102979/
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was actually thinking the same thing about my dome light last night before I posted the thread haha
I think I'm going to go with some fog lights the fog over here in LA can get pretty intense when driving home from school and I think I can really use them. one night I had only one light working and it was only my right high beam when one night the really heavy set fog rolled in and I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me and man it was scary as **** haha especially since I had to go over this bridge.
Yeah I guess I'm going to save for the better quality stuff and my car is actually almost fully maintained I just replaced the broken rad, had rotor and plug wires replaced and other than the pcv valve I need to replace it's top notch from what I can tell.
Suspension wise though I think my back end is starting to give out whenever I go up my moms driveway my muffler scrapes it never used to until recently and theres also some sqweeking going on, on my left side I have no idea what it is but it's annoying. anyways im rambling on thanks for the help fellas
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Save up your pennies. Put it towards a quality alarm. Not glamorous, but it's an investment in your future.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Save up your pennies. Put it towards a quality alarm. Not glamorous, but it's an investment in your future.
I have an oem alarm came from the factory and I also have a killswitch that came with the car in a hidden spot so I think I'm good on that lol
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i honestly think this car is just gonna be a daily for you, so mine as well make it a comfortable daily. random stuff i got for my car (under $50) was LED bulbs for my cluster, license plate and dome light, a broadway mirror (or you can even get a wink mirror, or if you're feeling extra baller, the spoon rearview mirror), aftermarket speakers, etc.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take a look at your life right now and ask yourself. Do i have a job? Is this something i want? Or something i need?

Answering these simple questions could save you a whole bunch of money like i did by switching to geico. Jk

But anyways these questions should help you with spending/not spending your $50.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Save your money.

This thread is like if I said, "I found 57 cents and some pocket lint. What can I get for my car?"

Test your ability to not spend this small amount of cash on something stupid.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trashyhatch
THANK YOU! cannot stand people who run HIDs in non-retrofitted headlamps.
Hid in standard housings don't bother me at all. I hate Hid's in projectors and projectors to begin with. When you get blinded by them its all at once, not gradually like a standard housing. No time for eyes to adjust.

OP. Get some trim paint and a small tune up. $50 isn't much to play with. And IMO get good Hid's. My ebay ones lasted 5 months.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say save up the money! dont go with ebay items got ebay coilovers and they ******* suck!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
The only difference you felt with your intake was sound and vibration.

For $50? You know what you can do, save it... Car's are not clothes, they're transportation.

1) Fogs aren't the hardest to install, if you can't install a set of foglights, then working on cars probably isn't your thing.
2) cheap Header will definitely crack and probably won't even fit your o2 sensor which will lead to a CEL and running rich.
3) YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC? Oh my goodness. I like that last idea, or just put $50 to gas.
I bought a header off ebay for $60 thats lasted me over 6 years with no cracks and not even a bit of rust , care to spread any more bs? you sound like the typical 16 yr old, who cares if he has a auto? its his car, not yours
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa there turbo. Cheap headers aren't that bad. But don't go getting all huffy just because someone has had experience with a cheap one cracking and you think none will.

And automagics in Hondas blow. Really really badly.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a shoe box, tape and a pen.

Take the box and put a strip of tape on it. Now take the pen and write "5 speed conversion fund" on it.

Finally place the $50 in it and hide it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone even read my last post? lol in case if anyone had missed it i had decided on some fogs for safety purposes as california weather is getting in its weird teenager stage where it is discovering itself

Quick Reply: Going to have about 50 bucks to spend on anything for my car