Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything?

So i've been researching and reading many forums on this site and others and i believe i have enough information to do a swap. However it's going to be my first time doing it, so i need some tips from the experinces.

First of it's going to be a 95 gsr engine into a 98 civic ex. Correct me if i'm missing anything.

-I know my engine harness should work with the gsr engine
-I have a harness to convert the ecu from ob2 to ob1
-The ex shift linkage will be useless for the swap so i need to find an integra shift linkage right??
- The gsr engine comes with all the mounts, but still i will need some Si mounts to bolt it up correctly, right?
-I'll have to wired the knock sensor and IAB to my ECU, (i know that)

So far thats all the problems i think i'll run into. Is there anything else that i might run into. Or any other tips? I heard taking off axles are going to be the hardest part of the swap.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything? (halocore)

yes use the harness from the car
yuppers
-The ex shift linkage will be useless for the swap so i need to find an integra shift linkage right??
yup.
- The gsr engine comes with all the mounts, but still i will need some Si mounts to bolt it up correctly, right?
si t bracket, and si timming belt mount
the knock is already there. y8's have a knock sensor.

So far thats all the problems i think i'll run into. Is there anything else that i might run into. Or any other tips? I heard taking off axles are going to be the hardest part of the swap.

no doing it on your back is pretty much the hardest thing.
im spoiled i have a lift.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything? (boostedcivicsir)

well i have lift too to get the engine out too unless you mean the one at the shop where it lifted up the whole car....lol.... so beside those issues, i'm pretty much set and ready to do the swap then, correct? or

Modified by halocore at 10:41 PM 7/24/2008
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything? (halocore)

i think youll be aight.

psssssst:
i drop the engines out the bottom.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything? (boostedcivicsir)

so i finally got the gsr engine, and while i'm taking parts off the d16 engine, i notice the fuel lines seem a little different, will i have to switch that out too? or is there a way around it.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't read your original post or any of the replies or anything (tired) - just your title.

Answer: Yes, probably.

Trust me, I've done/helped with countless swaps - and you always find out you're missing something or forgot about something half-way through .
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definitely have to extend the fuel return hose from the FPR... Take my advice and do it while the engine is outside of the car. Just pull off the hose and put on a longer one.

You will have to use a B series shift linkage as others have said, but if you have a D series shifter that you particularly like, you can put it on the B series linkage - I'm running the same B&M shifter on my gsr as I had on my D series.

If you have any questions on the IABs or anything, hit me up, because I just went through that.

And checkout my walkthrough on a GSR into a civic. Yours will be a little easier than mine because you don't have to rewire anything, but mine's got most of the nuts and bolts of what you need to know.

|
|
\/
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by halocore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i've been researching and reading many forums on this site and others and i believe i have enough information to do a swap. However it's going to be my first time doing it, so i need some tips from the experinces.

First of it's going to be a 95 gsr engine into a 98 civic ex. Correct me if i'm missing anything.

Thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you might need to use the 99-00 si shift linkage because of the bend in it. it was made to clear the 2nd o2 that the obd2 civics have. the gsr shift linkage has a different bend to it.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to be doing a gsr swap in 2 days, think i'm missing anything? (Vindicator9000)

Hey Vindicator9000
yeah can you give me some tips on how to wire the IAB, was it pretty painful. I probally should use the search button before i ask but time is short. anyways i was read your thread on swaping your engine and got a little lost when you said i don't have to wire anything. my stock engine is also a d16y8, and i'm pretty sure that if you had to do some wiring during your swap then i will too.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Sorry, I thought that you were going to swap the integra engine harness in... which I now think isn't possible with a 97 civic.

First, you'll want this:

It's a diagram of pinouts for things you'll need to add.

So, you'll need to wire in a few things, and extend a few things, of which I'll probably miss one or two:

1. distributor. Unlike on my swapguide, I'm 95% sure that a 97 civic uses the same dizzy plug as the integra, so you shouldn't have to do anything there.

2. vtec. Since you have a d16y8 already, you shouldn't have to add vtec. However, none of the plugs around there would reach on my car, so I had to cut and extend them all. Not too hard to do once you have the motor in.

3. Knock sensor. You shouldn't have to add this. You may have to extend it. I honestly don't remember.

4. EVAP purge. I don't know if this is just on OBD2 or not, so this may not apply to you. If so, you'll have to extend the wire from your EVAP purge valve, which is on the fuel rail on the y8, but on top of the Intake Manifold on the b18c1.

5. wire channel. On the back of the y8, all of your wires go together in a plastic holder thing that clips to the engine (at least, mine did). This does not fit well with a gsr in the car. I removed the hard plastic holder and wrapped them in corrugated wireloom and tape.

6. IAB. On an OBD2 ecu, the IAB pinout is for ground. There are 2 pins on the plug. The blue/red wire goes to the ECU. The yellow/black wire goes to a 12V switched power source... find somewhere else that's 12V and run that to yellow/black. Run blue/red to the correct ECU pin. I ran them through the wire channel under the battery tray, which puts them directly over the ECU.

7. Cruise control. If you want to keep cruise, you may have to find a new vacuum source. On my y8, it ran from a nipple on the IM. On the gsr, the only nipple goes to power IAB. So get a small T fitting and splice your cruise control line into that hose.

8. AC. If you want to keep air conditioning, you'll need a bracket from a 97-01 CRV. Use it with the D-series AC compressor. If you undo the hoses from the compressor, you'll have to get it recharged, so don't.

9. I've already said this, but it would have saved me 2 hours if I did it right the first time: Do yourself a big favor and put in a longer line for the FPR return hose WHILE the engine is OUT. or else you'll cuss it for hours.

10. Had to get creative with coolant lines to heater core because they don't sit quite right. You'll figure it out.

11. Better hose clamps for radiator hoses or else they'll leak. Or maybe use 2 clamps per hose. I had leak problems at first because I couldn't get them tight enough.

12. Whatever I didn't mention and you'll find out at the wrong time.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since no one answered your question. The fuel line that runs from your fuel filter to your fuel rail will have to be a gsr line, not the civic one. About 60 bucks from your local acura dealer
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: (alacard)

^^^^ this is true. Didn't occur to me because my engine came with the gsr line attached to it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vindicator9000)

how did you go about putting in the power steering? my block didn't have the brackets to hold the power steering so i might have to order some unless someone else has it for sale. Anyways do i have to switch over to a new gsr power steering unit, or will my d16 one bolt up to the gsr power steering brackets?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: (halocore)

I used the gsr power steering pump that came with my engine. Don't know if there's a bracket to bolt up a D series pump to a B series engine.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vindicator9000)

Were you short on any plugs on the civic ex harness? because i'm trying to bolt the harness up to the gsr and everything bolts up except that it seems like i'm short on some plugs;
Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (halocore)

pulling axels out of the tranny is the easiest step
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure u can use a delsol powersteering bracket that came equiped wita b series