Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Going from Civic to Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from Civic to Subaru?

Anyone on here gone from a Honda to a Subaru Wrx? What did you think? I am considering letting go my Si for an 02 bug eye Wrx + cash on my end. Love the Si but hate babysitting it and need a 4 door.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going from Civic to Subaru?

post pictures of both cars and the specs. 02-03 bug eye wrx's are getting to be in a pretty close price range to what 99-00 civic Si's go for. unless you have a 92-95 civic Si.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
TRIAL USER

What do you mean by babysitting it? Ive had 1 civic, 2 del sol's ( still have 1 ), and an 05 wrx. Subaru wins hands down for handling and power, stock. Romminess wise, a 4 door civic is about the same as the wrx. The 5 speed tranny on the wrx is a slushbox, but handles the power for what it is...If I could go back I would still have my Scooby...my $ .02....
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Babysitting = I can't leave the car anywhere without fear of it being stolen. My si is a 99 with 89k on it. The bugeye is an 02 with 45k on it and a fresh japanese Wrx motor swap.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go for the subaru.

The only reason I don't have a wrx is because they cost alot more. I love my civic, but for where I live a awd car would be great.

And a jdm wrx tranny has pretty short gears so it should still be pretty fun. An sti tranny would be sick, 4.4 final drive.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its an sti upgrade then do it. Ull love the all wheel drive and the torque on that thing is a monster!
My friend did a launch from a complete stop at around 6krpms yesterday.. the torque hits your face like a ton of bricks.. craziest feeling I ever felt.. never felt that in a mod honda before
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Subby's are Sick! Post a pic of it
Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rewind back to the year 2002. In 2002 I traded my 00 Si (that I had bought new) for a silver 02 WRX 4 door. WRX was fun with the low end off the line power. Enjoyed the WRX for about a year or so then the STi came out so I decided to trade. I prepared a purchase order and ordered me a white STi with gold wheels. While I was waiting for my STi I decided to stop by the Mitsubishi place. They weren't giving test drives for the Evos, but once I showed them my STi purchase order the manager told the sales guy to get an Evo of my choice (three to choose from) off of the showroom floor and let me drive it.

Well, I bought the Evo and cancelled my STi order. Love the Evo. Sharp like a surgeon's knife. Super stiff, and stops very quick. Well, not too long ago I decided I needed another 00 Si so I found a stock one and bought it. Love the car (once again). Yes, I kept the Evo too.

Moral of story. I traded my Si for a new 02 WRX. I came back full circle and got another Si because I loved the car that much.....

I'd stay with the Si.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I should note that I want the Wrx for 2 reasons. I live in a state that sees a lot of snow and I have a 2 year old so the 4 door aspect is very appealing. #3 would be the fact I am tired of thieves. No one steals Wrx around here. Gas mileage on the Subi isn't great but at least I know it'll be there when I come out from the mall or a movie.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 93 Si and I love it! But I also had an 07 STi with 400 WHP. The STi was a beautiful car. I had a Rotated turbo Set up,Injectors,FMIC,AEM ECU, Tial EWG, Turbo Back and more. The civic is a cool car to drive around town its my Daily but the STi was my Weekend car. I think if you get a Subaru you wont regret it! They are fun and fast they look good too! The Bug Eyes are my Fav. I would buy the Subaru and keep the civic dont sell the civic.

Last edited by OLDSKOOLSi; 02-23-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ..
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im actually doing the same thing you are. i believe im going to be purchasing a 04 wrx very soon.

dont get me wrong, im still heartbroken that i sold my honda, i loved the car. it was my baby. my love. but ive been told many good things about the subaru, awd, turbo, very nice car, plus it has ac and powersteering lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go wrx. however if it makes sense to have both and is feasible.. why not? I wish I would have kept my Si...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna get rid of the si because I am sick and tired of babysitting it. It's become too much of a liability for me to deal with anymore haha.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rubikscube
I wanna get rid of the si because I am sick and tired of babysitting it. It's become too much of a liability for me to deal with anymore haha.
i absolutely know the feeling, when we go anywhere that it's even a question we take my girlfriends EM1 because it has alot less chance of getting stolen than my car hahaha just imagine that.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 99 Si that sees sunlight maybe once or twice a year, and I dont ever plan on selling it. For my DD I have a mazdaspeed6, nice car, should have bought a wrx though. Keep the si and find a cheap wrx and you will be set. Dont sell the Si though, in 10 years that ****er will be a collector item and worth eleventybillion dollars.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres something you should take into consideration.

My friend is a cop. He bought a completely stock, 1st owner 99 Civic Si from someone he pulled over. After negotiations, he got it for cheap from the owner. One month later it got jacked right inside his parking complex in his apartment. Crazy! he still haven't recovered it. Its probably been through craigslist and the hondamarketplace already sold as separate parts..
Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
Heres something you should take into consideration.

My friend is a cop. He bought a completely stock, 1st owner 99 Civic Si from someone he pulled over. After negotiations, he got it for cheap from the owner. One month later it got jacked right inside his parking complex in his apartment. Crazy! he still haven't recovered it. Its probably been through craigslist and the hondamarketplace already sold as separate parts..
smells like your friend stepped in a little something called, "revenge"
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
smells like your friend stepped in a little something called, "revenge"
sorry I actually made the story sound like revenge. What happen was the cop pulled over this old man for a brake light. The guy started telling my cop friend that he would drive his 99 civic si at home but the radiator fan isn't working. So he had to drive this car around and he was thinking about selling the 99 civic si because of the radiator problem. So my friend say really? You think I can come by after work to have a look at it? and the old man said yeah. So my friend let him go and didnt give him a ticket or anything and the old man gave him his number. So after work he went and took a look at it and bought it off the man for $1500! It was completely stock, 1 owner, and in great condition with 56,000 miles! After we easily fixed the radiator by replacing the fan sensor.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
sorry I actually made the story sound like revenge. What happen was the cop pulled over this old man for a brake light. The guy started telling my cop friend that he would drive his 99 civic si at home but the radiator fan isn't working. So he had to drive this car around and he was thinking about selling the 99 civic si because of the radiator problem. So my friend say really? You think I can come by after work to have a look at it? and the old man said yeah. So my friend let him go and didnt give him a ticket or anything and the old man gave him his number. So after work he went and took a look at it and bought it off the man for $1500! It was completely stock, 1 owner, and in great condition with 56,000 miles! After we easily fixed the radiator by replacing the fan sensor.
well then it smells like your friend stepped in a couple things called "luck" and a "good deal" haha

The way the story sounded made it seem like he pulled over a shady character and said he wouldn't ticket him if he sold him the car for cheap, then the guy waited and stole it back haha
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
well then it smells like your friend stepped in a couple things called "luck" and a "good deal" haha

The way the story sounded made it seem like he pulled over a shady character and said he wouldn't ticket him if he sold him the car for cheap, then the guy waited and stole it back haha
lol yeah my fault. however if that was the case then he must of had ***** to do that to a cop that could recognize him
Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go wrx! I sold my 02 wrx to get a del sol but i miss the torque, traction and turbo.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tremoane
Go wrx! I sold my 02 wrx to get a del sol but i miss the torque, traction and turbo.
why did you do that?

lol don't flame me too much on that comment
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1quickturbosix
I have a 99 Si that sees sunlight maybe once or twice a year, and I dont ever plan on selling it. For my DD I have a mazdaspeed6, nice car, should have bought a wrx though. Keep the si and find a cheap wrx and you will be set. Dont sell the Si though, in 10 years that ****er will be a collector item and worth eleventybillion dollars.
I bought it to drive it. I'd feel weird to make a 7k Honda into a garage queen lol. I hope you are not serious about an em1 ever being a collectors item. If yours is collecting dust in hopes of selling it for a huge profit in 10 years then I am sorry to say but it won't be worth it and you might as well just enjoy it now while gas is cheap.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tremoane
Must be a gold plated Del Sol to sell a WRX to get one haha.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
New User

How bout the Evo? Still like the WRX over the Evo????

Quick Reply: Going from Civic to Subaru?