Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it going to burn up or what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Is it going to burn up or what is it?

OK well i have a 94 2 door civc EX 5 speed great little car no rust just two dents in the hood from previous owener trying to shut it.. but any ways there have been a couple days where i can smeel like i burning wire smell. some days it is really strong and other just barley but yet there are days nothing at all and i cant pinpoint were it is coming from if its in the dash or under the hood. and now the last two days after work iv been driving home and my rpm guage and speedo go all hay wire and drop out stop working next will be the clock and next will be the radio And then it gets worse the car will just flat out die but you can dump the clutch and she will start again but no guages yet so i beat on it a bit and dont shift tell the rev limiter and the guages work fine and the car will start with the key and everything works fine ans dandy.. well day two this morning everything is the same up tell dumping the clutch she wont start again with or with out the key, let sit for two minites get pushed off a major highway im on and try the clutch dump again and she starts but still no guages in tell i beat on it and everything works just great fine and dandy no problem nothing.. what can it be? these last two days have not noticed and wire smell. any advice will be great thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it going to burn up or what is it?

She likes it rough, pull on her spark plug wires.

To answer your question. Yes, sounds like you will be the next candidate for being the poor sap along the freeway with a burning car. Start ripping your dash out and looking for burnt wires.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 AM
New User

i was kinda fearing that i do have other vehicals to drive but this is my favorite ha. but i was also thinking if im getting close to a burn down with wires melting and tuching why would i not be poping any fuses?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.... clutch smell maybe... maybe your clutch is burned out... you said the car sometimes only moves foward when you dump the clutch? its probobly slipping
Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe clutch but that wouldn't explain his cluster, clock, and radio losing power.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe thats just how he is percieving the engine stalling? thats my guess.... engine stalls, radio guages intermittently go out then come back once the car shifts to "on" mode instead of "run" mode.

i vote clutch, who wants to start a pool?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
New User

No it is not the clutch a burning clutch and burning wire smell are two different things and the car always moves forward with no problem i cant get the car to start all the time dumping the clutch and you can tell the clutch grabs when you dump it cause it will slow the car down big time. so the whole cluth thearoy is out of the question when my gagues and dead the the radio is going nuts i still have power and she dont stutter at all you can feel it pulling and gaining speed any other thoughs or is the whole thing trowing everybody?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok... well then r&r dashboard and go from there... let us know how u make out lol...