Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Godddd Such Bad Luck So far:(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Godddd Such Bad Luck So far:(

So after 4 weeks of owning my Honda 93 Del Sol I have been put thru an oil leak and a valve loosing its retainers on exhaust side and making friends with piston num 1:/

I have a few question for all you Honda people out there

I have a 93 Del Sol with a D16Y8 with a .60 Garret Turbo.

I would like to know what would be the best cam for making power?

What would be the best valve retainers?

And...Since my motor will be out I might put in new piston rings.What would be a solid brand to handle the power I would like to make.

This summer when I get a Retune I would like to shoot for 20psi and around 350+WHP

Any Tips and Tricks From experience will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks For looking
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Godddd Such Bad Luck So far:(

The Crower stage 2 cam is workin great in my friends Y8. Sounds pretty mean too.

He also has a complete Crower valvetrain, which has been awesome as well.

Honda OEM piston rings are nice, but can be expensive. I know companies like JE and such make some but idk how well they work.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are they expensive?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like supertech springs and retainers, for valves i would stick with a one piece valve, alot of companies like to make 2 piece valves. As for a cam not too sure...And if your changing the rings why dont you look into replacing the pistons as well, rs machines make a few d-series pistons http://www.raceaxis.com/performance-piston-c-1_732.html

But check out d-series.org and homemadeturbo.com
Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u buy rs machine pistons do not buy from axis racing.
I like my stage 2 crower cam as well. Im also running complete crower valvetrain and if u replace the pistons more then likely it will come with rings but if not hasting are great rings.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your shooting for 350+ whp the best buld i can recommend you do if your going to take it apart and do it would be the vitara setup plus the crower 2 cam and valvetrain. its pretty cheap and yeilds great results. i personally have used rock rings and they are alright. i had one problem with a piston not setting them but sometimes it just happens you get a bad set.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XKINGX
if u buy rs machine pistons do not buy from axis racing.
I like my stage 2 crower cam as well. Im also running complete crower valvetrain and if u replace the pistons more then likely it will come with rings but if not hasting are great rings.
Just curious why?. I never bought from them, almost did but went a different route with my motor.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I didn't even release you weren't getting new pistons.

GET NEW PISTONS!

You won't be sorry. Friend has Arias pistons but there are many other good brands too.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woah woah woah...before you get into trouble. It is a D16Z6 bored .020" over with wiseco pistons, which are some of the best forged pistons IMO and if aren't damaged, they don't need to be replaced. It's already running 19psi and made 308whp on a mustang dyno with boost dropping off(was later retuned when boost problem was fixed). I would get wiseco or oem honda rings. It has an aftermarket cam in it already, but zex 59300 is great if you wanna change it up. Also, the turbo is a 57 trim garrett turbo with .63 a/r..not a .60.

Also, why pull the entire motor for a retainer? Pull the head and find out what the piston looks like...if you didn't bend the valve, didn't screw up the piston...then just get some new retainers. That engine had a full blox valvetrain in it already, so i would just redo it. I never had problems with it the 2 years I drove it with that setup, but I also didn't rape it daily so that could have something to do with it.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, you said the leakdown on it was bad, but compression was bad? there's 13,000 miles on the motor..the rings should not be bad....hasn't even been boost 11,000 of them. What were your numbers for compression and leakdown? I believe for 8.5:1 cr wiseco's the compression should be around 150.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i got pulled over, hit a deer, and got backed into all in one week
it must be a del sol curse
Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there absolutely is a del sol curse. After I built this motor, I was doing great....then a woman ran in front of my car to catch a bus. That took out the windshield and i had to pay for a tow truck. A week later I was going to get it street tuned after I fixed boost issues, hit at an intersection by an F-350. That took out drivers door, fender, mirror, and sidemarker. Continuing on, I hit my brakes when I saw a deer, hit a patch of ice and fishtailed into the deer and a guard rail. That took out a headlight, hood, front bumper, rear bumper. All has been fixed, but god...i had bad luck for 3 weeks with stupid ****, but nothing motor wise. He somehow broke the oil pressure gauge line and says he lost 3 qts of oil!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so today i pulled apart the head and it looks like a moron with turrets built it....the cam has flat spot..the races are all scored ...and valve num 1 is bent to ****..ugggg **** blox racing and shitty parts and who ever is the dumb *** who built this motor/Head....This car was on such a shitty tune and was so rich everything is so clogged up with gunk.FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Suzukifreek
ok so today i pulled apart the head and it looks like a moron with turrets built it....the cam has flat spot..the races are all scored ...and valve num 1 is bent to ****..ugggg **** blox racing and shitty parts and who ever is the dumb *** who built this motor/Head....This car was on such a shitty tune and was so rich everything is so clogged up with gunk.FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post pictures! And I'm sure you know who built the motor...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who ever did build it dident adjust the valve lash very well bc everything is loose as **** and flappin around....Ill post pics tomorrow...i got my new head coming tomorrow and im swapping all the blox crap for supertech FTW!...got my new cometic headgasket coming 2....and im getting a new cam (thats actually rounded)..by the time everything is said and done i should be just under 400...bc the valve job on the head is horrible...the valves did not seal for anything...my friends have built cars of the same quality as mine and made over 350whp on 12 psi...That deff shows how bad this motor is for me to be running 18 and 303whp???????wtf????? anyways i need to get the tune taken care of also...the reason it was running so bad was bc who ever tuned it made it extra rich to compensate for the bad *** valve job lol
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Suzukifreek
who ever did build it dident adjust the valve lash very well bc everything is loose as **** and flappin around....Ill post pics tomorrow...i got my new head coming tomorrow and im swapping all the blox crap for supertech FTW!...got my new cometic headgasket coming 2....and im getting a new cam (thats actually rounded)..by the time everything is said and done i should be just under 400...bc the valve job on the head is horrible...the valves did not seal for anything...my friends have built cars of the same quality as mine and made over 350whp on 12 psi...That deff shows how bad this motor is for me to be running 18 and 303whp???????wtf????? anyways i need to get the tune taken care of also...the reason it was running so bad was bc who ever tuned it made it extra rich to compensate for the bad *** valve job lol
YOU dropped a valve, of course things are gonna be a mess. The head had a valve job when it was built. Supertech is cheaper than Blox, so i dont know why you say blox is crap...**** breaks. It's the nature of high horsepower/rpms. 350whp on 12 psi, best of luck with a single cam. With a dual cam, sure...this also depends on turbo and a lot of other variables. 308 on 18 psi was on a MUSTANG DYNO, 100 degree weather, and with boost dropping off which i already told you. Also, is everything YOUR FRIENDS this or your YOUR FRIENDS that? Do you do anything on your own? The car was running great when you bought it. You didn't drive the car when you bought it, you didn't do anything, so it's your fault anyways...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yea my friend is over all the time and helps me with the little details....and he told me everything that im telling you. For **** sake the head is horribly built. Done!!!! and im afraid to pull the bottom apart:/
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and yea i know its suprising but if these motors are built the right way yes that can be 12psi and 320whp^
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread would be better answered in FI. I would consider posting your question there to see what kind of feedback you get...
Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

best of luck in the future for a fellow PA'er. I've heard ALOT of good stuff about the zex cam as previously stated.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im getting the zex cam its on back order so im gunna have to wait like 10 days

and i just got my new Buddy Club V-Tec Controller
Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the VTEC engagement point should be set by the tuner at the optimal point of crossover, there should be no need to change the VTEC crossover point outside of it's tuned paramaters, rendering the a VTEC controller really a pointless addition.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With proper research you wouldn't be buying pointless parts like the VTEC controller. If you run ANY decent tuning program, you can set your VTEC engagement with the click of a mouse
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can say what you want about the head, it was built correctly the first time. What were you revving to? What kind of abuse did it see? You drained 3 qts of oil out of the motor with a broken oil pressure gauge line. Do you think that had anything to do with it? Before you blame your issues on me, you might want to look at yourself. I BUILT THE MOTOR PROPERLY...no oil on a cam will surely chew away at it! 1 qt of oil in that engine is not a good thing at all.

Are you now saying the motor was built shitty, tuned shitty, but somehow gave me ZERO problems for 2 years and made great power. It pulled hard and was surely making more than 308whp. I told you from the start it needed a retune, but it wasn't anything that affected reliability; only performance. I poured a lot of time and money into the setup to do it the right way, so I really don't appreciatte you bashing me.

Quick Reply: Godddd Such Bad Luck So far:(