Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Everyone swears by this fluid and I decided to go to the dealership and buy some for my tranny. Paid 14 bucks a quart. What I wanted to know is did I buy the right one for my car?

Its a 92 Honda Civic Si, stock motor and tranny. Heres what I bought....
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

i don't know if it matters, but did you get automatic or manual fluid...i know they make both.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who is everyone ?
Just use Honda MTF or a suitable equilvalent.

But haven't head bad things about GM Synchromesh. Go for it
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r33dm0n3y
i don't know if it matters, but did you get automatic or manual fluid...i know they make both.
I asked for MTF but he said they have many kinds of MTF so I asked for GM Synchromesh Friction Modified.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone Carries Syncromesh. I think Penzoil Has it.. Paid $19 for 3 quarts. Also Its the Same Product number as GM an Chrysler. Printed on Label. Just a Heads up... I also been buying Syncromesh from GM till recently an they rape you.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too used the Penzoil stuff from Autozone. Same as the GM stuff diffrent bottle and alot cheaper.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
I too used the Penzoil stuff from Autozone. Same as the GM stuff diffrent bottle and alot cheaper.
Yeah but is it friction modified
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not the new Honda MTF? The new "green" bottle is just as good if not better for our cars compared to the GM stuff.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should use the honda MTF. honda makes their own because that's what their transmissions are able to perform with best. i'd leave the GM stuff for GM cars, but that's just me.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was using the penzoil stuff for a while, but I recently switched to a 50/50 mix of the penzoil stuff and lucas. Tranny seems smoother now, but it might have just needed some fluid to begin with. I never had any problems with the stuff you got though.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sincromesh its awesome. if you have a little problem with the sincros it will help alot
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GM Synchromesh is a heavier weight oil. yea it seems smoother but if ur using it cuz of ur synchros are grinding a lil u r just putting a band-aid over a gunshot wound. if ur trans is fine and are going to do a drain and refill. honda mtf is what you need. it is EXTREMELY dumb to be mixing different oil weights. its not a good idea. they have different chemical properties.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What other oils can we use other than honda mtf and 10-30

I threw out 2 quarts of royal purple when i first did the swap cuz the manual said to use 10-30.
I never even ran the tranny with royal purple; just threw it out , got 10-30 and then drove
What other oils are safe i.e. Royal purple, eneos, lucas etc
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used this stuff it work wonders it took my 5th gear grind away, till i do a rebuilt. my friend also used this and it took away his grinds.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honda changed the formula for the mtf awhile back and it's better now than what it used to be. When I first changed it with the old mtf shifting gears had a notchy feeling to them so then I used pennzoil syncromesh. It's the same thing as the regular gm stuff but the op got the fm which got raped royally in the buttocks. Unless you are running lsd there is no need for the friction modified version so just run the regular syncromesh or honda's mtf.

I just learned of the new green bottle so looks like honda has changed formula at least a second time since I've used it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CuteAccord
Why not the new Honda MTF? The new "green" bottle is just as good if not better for our cars compared to the GM stuff.

Only reason why i got GM Syncromesh is cuz its like 3 miles from me compared to Honda 20 miles one way n 35 miles the other way lol Got new Ek now so when i do swap it will be OEM MTF
Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring up an old post but anyone who tells you not to use GM synchromesh FM in your honda transmission or that honda MTF is better doesnt know what they are talking about and has OBVIOUSLY NEVER used the GM FM. Also Pennzoil synchromesh and the non friction modified version of the GM synchromesh are not the same thing as the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified. I cant speak enough of how great this stuff is. Three years ago my S2000 was getting REALLY notchy in 2nd and 3rd, i had already had the trans serviced at honda and it got a little better but was still really notchy way more than when i had purchased the vehicle. I was on s2ki.com and someone said that The GM FM had completely stopped all the notchyness in their trans. So i drained about half my fliuid added some Pennzoil Syncromesh to my trans and saw no difference. I went back on the forums and they were like no you have to get the GM stuff. So i got the regular gm synchromesh and completely replaced my fluid with no change. Then some one on the forum asked to see my bottle and was like thats why its not the FM get that its totally different. By this time I had about given up and was ready to buy a new tranny cause it started poping out in 2nd. But i was like f*** it ill give it a shot. So i completely replaced my fluid once again with in about 5k miles with the GM FM and within 10-20 miles the trans was shifting like a hot knife through cold butter. I mean it was smoother than I had ever felt even when the car was new. I ran that fluid until i sold the car. That encompassed 40K miles with absolutely no problems or notchyness after i changed it. I also have an 05 Acura TL w/6sp manual. At 40K the transmission started getting notchy in 2nd 3rd and 4th and then started popping out of third gear about 4-5K later. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the trans under my honda care warranty. I went another 20K and it started doing the EXACT SAME THING as the first transmission. Then i remebered putting the GM FM in my S2000 so i drained all the fluid out of my TL and put the GM FM as a last ditch effort to taking it back in and having the trans replaced AGAIN. Once again within 10-20 miles the trans started shifting better than it did when it was brand new. Its not a cure all if you have severe trans problems. But its been magical for me. I cant speak highly enough about it. It was WELL worth the $15 a quart I paid for it.

Last edited by NeverNA; 03-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RedLine is ****ing awesome
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doubleoazn03
Yeah but is it friction modified
the friction modifier is for LSDs which a 92 Si does not have. shouldnt hurt anything though.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
TRIAL USER

I used to get OEM, but the new formula seems thinner, go with synchro....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone use redline transmission fluid? How does it compare to the synchromesh?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

idk how it compares but i still wouldn't throw gm anything into my honda. i own a GM and it sucks huge ***** in comparison. so i don't really trust their fluids if the cars they're made for don't work for crap. but thats just me.

i use redline mtl 70 i think it is. the lighter of the two. other one is 90. i love it. **** works wonders for me. real smooth.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
the friction modifier is for LSDs which a 92 Si does not have. shouldnt hurt anything though.
You are a retard and dont know what you are talking about. The FM version is not designed for transmissions designed with LSDs, GM not Honda, designed it for only ONE transmission from one of there early 90s model trucks that needed a special friction surface for the syncro collars to act on, i know this for a fact because i did my research. AND last time i looked a RWD vehicle doesnt have an LSD in the transmission like a Honda would, im 100% sure it would be in the rear axle diff housing, god.... some times people just dont think

nonetheless, GM sycnro FM fluid is the best fluid ive ever come across in my own experience, and as NeverNa mentioned, if you dont get the FM version, it wont help you at all
Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NeverNA
Sorry to bring up an old post but anyone who tells you not to use GM synchromesh FM in your honda transmission or that honda MTF is better doesnt know what they are talking about and has OBVIOUSLY NEVER used the GM FM. Also Pennzoil synchromesh and the non friction modified version of the GM synchromesh are not the same thing as the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified. I cant speak enough of how great this stuff is. Three years ago my S2000 was getting REALLY notchy in 2nd and 3rd, i had already had the trans serviced at honda and it got a little better but was still really notchy way more than when i had purchased the vehicle. I was on s2ki.com and someone said that The GM FM had completely stopped all the notchyness in their trans. So i drained about half my fliuid added some Pennzoil Syncromesh to my trans and saw no difference. I went back on the forums and they were like no you have to get the GM stuff. So i got the regular gm synchromesh and completely replaced my fluid with no change. Then some one on the forum asked to see my bottle and was like thats why its not the FM get that its totally different. By this time I had about given up and was ready to buy a new tranny cause it started poping out in 2nd. But i was like f*** it ill give it a shot. So i completely replaced my fluid once again with in about 5k miles with the GM FM and within 10-20 miles the trans was shifting like a hot knife through cold butter. I mean it was smoother than I had ever felt even when the car was new. I ran that fluid until i sold the car. That encompassed 40K miles with absolutely no problems or notchyness after i changed it. I also have an 05 Acura TL w/6sp manual. At 40K the transmission started getting notchy in 2nd 3rd and 4th and then started popping out of third gear about 4-5K later. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the trans under my honda care warranty. I went another 20K and it started doing the EXACT SAME THING as the first transmission. Then i remebered putting the GM FM in my S2000 so i drained all the fluid out of my TL and put the GM FM as a last ditch effort to taking it back in and having the trans replaced AGAIN. Once again within 10-20 miles the trans started shifting better than it did when it was brand new. Its not a cure all if you have severe trans problems. But its been magical for me. I cant speak highly enough about it. It was WELL worth the $15 a quart I paid for it.
Thank you for this post, I was getting depressed because my 04 stewie with 27k on the clock was crunching in 2nd at low speed in the cold. GM FM MTF and its perfect again. Awesome.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good post, I just replaced the engine and transmission in my car ad the new trans. is a little notchy at high RPM shifts. I remembered in my DSM days syncromesh was the magic fluid for those transmissions so I thought I would try it out but wanted to see if it was okay to use.

thanks for the information.

oh BTW the friction modifier by theory would help ANY transmission LSD or not because the synchronizers are essentially brakes that use friction to match the rotational speed of the gears. The FM may help them to have better "bite" speed matching the gears better thus making a smoother shift.

Quick Reply: GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid