Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE

Exactly what the post said. I have a B16 tranny, everthing was fine besides a minor third gear grind at high rpms. I see all these people on HT swearing by the stuff so I say EHH what the hell, lemme give it a try. A week later after putting this tranny fluid in, it completely ruined my tranny and will not go into any gear. My Honda Mechanic (and close friend) took my tranny apart to notice that the GM additives in the fluid ate up my gears. PEOPLE, i know I made the mistake too, but I DONT want this to happen to anybody elses. TRannys are too expensive to be ruined. Hondas RPM spool is completely different than a GM's, this fluid does not belong in a HondaTranny. Stick with HMTF. For all of you that use GM Synch. i tip my hats to you if it worked, hopefully no long term damage will happen.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE (steve0527)

Atleast I can get my Type R tranny
Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have a problem runnign it in my gsr tranny, and its ben in there or a while
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE (SkankyEJ7)

It's worked fine for plenty of people including me. Syncromesh is a thinner oil than normal honda MTF fluid. It's should only be used for tranny's with bad grinds.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM

dam sucks to hear that, maybe it was bound to happen, gm or not. ?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM

hmhm, ive been running syncromesh for like over a year in my d series, no problems at all, it never ground and it still doesnt
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JJDrivesAJazz)

bad tranny.. not the fluid.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think that maybe the fact that you had a third gear grind before you used it could have anything to do with the fact the trans failed and not the GM syncromesh. All that would have to happen is a fragment from the 3rd gear grind to get to the wrong place and really f things up. It sounds like it might have happened even if you used the hmtf. IMHO syncromesh is a bandage for trans problems not the fix
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hondas RPM spool is completely different than a GM's, this fluid does not belong in a HondaTranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Based on this statement, i'm going to go ahead and declare everything you've said as either incorrect or completely fabricated.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE (BauleyCivic)

when i stated that statement i meant that, Hondas are higher reving cars than GM cars...which obviously means things spool faster, and having the correct fluid to match your car is probaby the best bet. You guys might be right, maybe my tranny was about to go anyway. No i was not driving it like a dick, I never do. I only had a itty bitty minor grind at like 7500 rpms, dont gimme the crap that my tranny was demolished. Yes it was fuked up, but the GM **** just put it over the top probably... for GM BS...and those of you that have it, I wish you guys the best and hopefully nothing goes wrong.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rpm spool??? wtf is that???

basically, what you are saying is that the synchromesh ATE the steel gears??? hmm, if anything the bronze synchronizers would have been eaten first, but synchromesh is GL-4 compatible, so it WONT harm the bronze, OR steel for that matter.

nobody has reported trying "redline" mt-90 or MTL, i use it in ALL my nissan transmissions which call for the same GL-4 additive pack as honda manual transmissions. this just means that it wont harm the bronze, much like any other type of OIL will. Honda MTF is IDENTICAL to MTL, and the same price, i would just rather give my money to summit or jegs than the STEALERSHIP.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 AM

If your tranny is grinding already in gears all you did was cover up the problem on an already failing transmission. Did you expect the Synchromesh to fix your problem?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i stated that statement i meant that, Hondas are higher reving cars than GM cars...which obviously means things spool faster, </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it does not.
Just because honda motors are "higher revving" as you said, and for the sake of argument we will say they are, does not equal faster reving and "things spooling faster"

Stop giving bad advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I only had a itty bitty minor grind at like 7500 rpms</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHA Hay guys my tranny grinds a little bit right before redline, stupid GM fluid DONE BLOWED IT UP! The fact that you hit 7500rpm enough to detect an "itty bitty minor grind" says a lot about how much you rag on the car. You can't expect every drivetrain out there to be indestructible if you're hitting redline every time you drive the car. Not even a Honda.

Good luck with the new tranny.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly what the post said. I have a B16 tranny, everthing was fine besides a minor third gear grind at high rpms. I see all these people on HT swearing by the stuff so I say EHH what the hell, lemme give it a try. A week later after putting this tranny fluid in, it completely ruined my tranny and will not go into any gear. My Honda Mechanic (and close friend) took my tranny apart to notice that the GM additives in the fluid ate up my gears. PEOPLE, i know I made the mistake too, but I DONT want this to happen to anybody elses. TRannys are too expensive to be ruined. Hondas RPM spool is completely different than a GM's, this fluid does not belong in a HondaTranny. Stick with HMTF. For all of you that use GM Synch. i tip my hats to you if it worked, hopefully no long term damage will happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You know how I know you're a moron?

Because Honda recently changed the formulation of their MTF, which now more closely resembles the Pennzoil Synchromesh formulation and consistency (I am still researching this, so I don't have all the details yet).

You know what else is funny (other than how stupid you are)? I've been running GM-labeled Synchromesh in my Honda transmissions (including an S20, an S4C, and a PL3) for years with no problems in daily driving or competition applications.

You obviously have no clue about anything oil- or transmission-related, and are throwing out random guesses and incorrect assumptions while trying to pass them off as factual. Go away. RPM spool has nothing to do with anything. Pennzoil's fluid doesn't "eat gears." In fact, I don't know of any fluid that will "eat" a hardened steel gear in a week other than volatile chemicals. While one of the ingredients in Pennzoil's fluid has been known to be harmful to yellow metals (which applies to the brass synchronizers) over a long term, the service life of the average transmission synchronizer isn't as long as it will take to be affected by that particular additive.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE (Targa250R)

Jesus man, why did you have to go get all smart on us?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE (Targa250R)

So you put the tranny fluid in and it blowed up. I can follow your logic. Oh, also: I totally had McDonalds for breakfast on the morning of 9/11/01. OH GOD DON"T EAT MCDONALDS IT CAUSES TERRORISM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> TRannys are too expensive to be ruined. Hondas RPM spool is completely different than a GM's, this fluid does not belong in a HondaTranny. Stick with HMTF. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill bet your a Honda MTF sales rep... huh!

Yah, thought so. Explains your stupid logic.

Good job upping your postcount
Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM

ya know like a year ago I did this, and for the first tank of gas after it I got like 50% less gas milage... but its been about a year now, and haven't noticed any i'll effect yet.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 AM

"""You know how I know you're a moron?

Because Honda recently changed the formulation of their MTF, which now more closely resembles the Pennzoil Synchromesh formulation and consistency (I am still researching this, so I don't have all the details yet).

You know what else is funny (other than how stupid you are)? I've been running GM-labeled Synchromesh in my Honda transmissions (including an S20, an S4C, and a PL3) for years with no problems in daily driving or competition applications.

You obviously have no clue about anything oil- or transmission-related, and are throwing out random guesses and incorrect assumptions while trying to pass them off as factual. Go away. RPM spool has nothing to do with anything. Pennzoil's fluid doesn't "eat gears." In fact, I don't know of any fluid that will "eat" a hardened steel gear in a week other than volatile chemicals. While one of the ingredients in Pennzoil's fluid has been known to be harmful to yellow metals (which applies to the brass synchronizers) over a long term, the service life of the average transmission synchronizer isn't as long as it will take to be affected by that particular additive. """

YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT
I USED TO WORK FOR PENZOIL AND ITS ALL I USE
Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 PM

jesus christ people..lol. You guys are rediculous. For the record I dont hit 7500RPM on a daily basis, but shifting to thrid in vtec (nething above 5500) was creating a light grind. The tranny was still always as smooth as butter, nothing else wrong with it. As you can see Im no genius about cars, but my honda mechanic who has been dealing with hondas for over 15 years is the one who gave me this information...I will take his word over any punk kid who thinks they know about cars on HT. He specifically works with swapped hondas, FI, etc. and he says he has seen this GM synchromesh do this to other peoples trannys in the past as well, so apparently i am not the first victim...I rarely abuse my car let alone rip through the gears, theres absolutley no way in hell that my tranny broke becasue it was a "bad tranny". Yes, it had a minor grind, but i had other hondas in the past with third gear grinds that i was able to get another 50-60K miles on that tranny...So dont sit here and tell me that it was my tranny...It was obviously this fluid, it might not happen to the majority of people that use it, but it happened to me and several others. I know someone didnt sneak into my garage one night and open my tranny up and destroy it, something was the cause of it and I sure as hell wasnt even driving hard on it after i put the fluid in. If not, then it was just so dam coincidental that this happens after i put this fluid in.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steve0527)

steve relax, there is noway that fluid will EAT your gears end of story. ive heard of a lot of people changing there fluid after minor grinds to help it, and the tranny took a **** regardless of what fluid was used. i cant explain why it happend but it has nothing to do with choice of fluid.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM

Oddly enough, with the GM FM Syncromesh in my B16 transmission (with 150k+ miles on it), it shifts as good as, if not better than when I installed it 100k miles ago. Hell, it shifts smoother than my 07 S2000 with 2000 miles.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly what the post said. I have a B16 tranny, everthing was fine besides a minor third gear grind at high rpms. I see all these people on HT swearing by the stuff so I say EHH what the hell, lemme give it a try. A week later after putting this tranny fluid in, it completely ruined my tranny and will not go into any gear. My Honda Mechanic (and close friend) took my tranny apart to notice that the GM additives in the fluid ate up my gears. PEOPLE, i know I made the mistake too, but I DONT want this to happen to anybody elses. TRannys are too expensive to be ruined. Hondas RPM spool is completely different than a GM's, this fluid does not belong in a HondaTranny. Stick with HMTF. For all of you that use GM Synch. i tip my hats to you if it worked, hopefully no long term damage will happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the one thing i would have to agree with you is usint the honda MTF, because personally that's what i use, but there is no way that the gm tranny fluid ate up your gears. actually, i never heard of any oil eating up metal. your tranny had to be bad to begin with.

don't blame it on the fluid.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (steve0527)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steve0527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jesus christ people..lol. You guys are rediculous. For the record I dont hit 7500RPM on a daily basis, but shifting to thrid in vtec (nething above 5500) was creating a light grind. The tranny was still always as smooth as butter, nothing else wrong with it. As you can see Im no genius about cars, but my honda mechanic who has been dealing with hondas for over 15 years is the one who gave me this information...I will take his word over any punk kid who thinks they know about cars on HT. He specifically works with swapped hondas, FI, etc. and he says he has seen this GM synchromesh do this to other peoples trannys in the past as well, so apparently i am not the first victim...I rarely abuse my car let alone rip through the gears, theres absolutley no way in hell that my tranny broke becasue it was a "bad tranny". Yes, it had a minor grind, but i had other hondas in the past with third gear grinds that i was able to get another 50-60K miles on that tranny...So dont sit here and tell me that it was my tranny...It was obviously this fluid, it might not happen to the majority of people that use it, but it happened to me and several others. I know someone didnt sneak into my garage one night and open my tranny up and destroy it, something was the cause of it and I sure as hell wasnt even driving hard on it after i put the fluid in. If not, then it was just so dam coincidental that this happens after i put this fluid in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The main problem with what you're saying here is simple logic. If GM Synchromesh was responsible for your transmission failure it should cause every Honda transmission to fail, that it's put in.

As far as your mechanic goes, it's a sad but true fact that there's just as many ignorant import mechanics out there as there are domestic mechanics. These guys have their own personal beliefs that domestic products cannot be used in import vehicles (and vice-versa) or BOOM! Any failures they see will automatically be chalked up to "using a domestic product" on an import and my all time favorite "all your vehicle troubles are due to the installation of your aftermarket air intake"...

People on this board (experienced members) tend to think outside the "factory mechanic" box and realise other products may not cause damage, and in many cases will even help their cars performance. I've learned to trust the guys that think outside the box and who experiment more than the closed minded "programmed" individuals that are often stuck in dealerships. Trial by error is better knowlege than read text book - everything's black and white.

Quick Reply: GM synch. ruined my tranny...BEWARE