Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems

About 2 months ago, the distributor went out on my girlfriend's '94 Auto EX sedan. She took it to an independant mechanic who took 2 days to do the repair. Anyway, ever since then, the car seems considerably slower than it did before.

Yesterday, she was driving it on the highway and noticed that the car was barely pulling at all. She would have to floor it to accelerate. Then, she noticed the temp. was about 75% of the way up so she pulled over, and called me. Sure enough, the car needed about a gallon of water.

Do these problems seem related in any way? The car has never had a problem before. If they aren't related, do you think the slowness problem is due to the mechanic not adjusting the timing properly? Thanks a lot!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (camera obscura)

i think u are right on the money with the timing idea
Old 04-09-2003, 06:19 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (camera obscura)

Coolant loss is not related to the replacement of a distributor. Kick the guy that changed your distributor in two days cuz it was a 4 minute process. Your timing might be the problem, loosen the three 12mm bolts that hold your distributor in place, then turn your distributor counter-clockwise a little and see if that helps, or go back to the mechanic who should adjust it with a timing light for free.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (slomofo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loosen the three 12mm bolts that hold your distributor in place, then turn your distributor counter-clockwise a little and see if that helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

When he says "a little" that means *a little*. The last thing you want your girlfriend to do is drive around with her car pinging. Make sure you put good gas in that sucka, too. Dont be cheap and buy the 87 octance crap, get the 92 or 93.

Jon Black
Old 04-09-2003, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (slomofo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slomofo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Coolant loss is not related to the replacement of a distributor. Kick the guy that changed your distributor in two days cuz it was a 4 minute process. Your timing might be the problem, loosen the three 12mm bolts that hold your distributor in place, then turn your distributor counter-clockwise a little and see if that helps, or go back to the mechanic who should adjust it with a timing light for free.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-09-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (Jon Black)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon Black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont be cheap and buy the 87 octance crap, get the 92 or 93.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the manual it says that the civic was designed for the "crap". True, its not
benifitial to use the "crap" gas but I don't think its going to hurt his girls
economy car.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (d15dude)

BUT, if the timing is advances too far, which it can easily be without the aid of a timing light, then s/he runs the risk of detonation with 87 octane. My moms car (same car) pings under hard acceleration and her timing is 16* at idle. She also runs 87 octane, although she doesnt really stand on the gas like I do when I drive her car.

This guy also lives in Texas, where is gets damn hot. Not your typical WA day where you wear your Members Only jacket.

Spending $0.10 more per gallon is a well-justified investment compared to a burnt valve. I have burnt valves on 2 different DX hatches using 87 octance gas. I used to believe that it was OK to run the stuff, too.

Jon Black
Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 PM

damn, there must be something about eg sedans.... first my dist. goes, then 2 months later it overheats, then throws a rod. hope you dont get the same luck as me.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon Black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This guy also lives in Texas, where is gets damn hot. Not your typical WA day where you wear your Members Only jacket.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What members only jacket? I didn't know I was a member or
anything.

True about the timing though. I was thinking if it was running properly.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Damn double posts. Sorry!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend's EG sedan having problems (d15dude)

Just cut the crap and take it to a reputable honda mechanic and get it in tune the way it should be. I have the same car and motor with 170,000 miles and runs like a dream, the only thing ive ever replaced are timing belt and alternator. and 87 octane, if she dosent drive like a bat outta hell, its just fine, I run it. besides, 87 octane is recomended by the factory manual. just tell the first mechanic to **** off and get a real one, trust me, itll all work out.