Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! !

Ok, here it goes. My girlfriend added too much oil when there was already enough oil in the engine. She drove it and all of a sudden "POOF" ! Car is dead. I wasn't there when it happened, but the car was towed home. When I went to take a look at it, I saw some areas where oil shot out from the valve cover gasket is at. It seem the extra oil just got spitted out. What I want to know is what types of problems could be caused when this happens and what I need to check? The car cranks but it doesn't start all the way. Its a 98 Civic EX.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (JDMCivicEF9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMCivicEF9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car cranks but it doesn't start all the way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Kind of a dumb question, but has all the oil been drained / refilled with the proper amount? When I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago I noticed it was overfilled by a little once I checked it at fillup on gas. The next morning I drained a little by removing the drain bolt and letting a small amount drain out. I read that over filling the oil is not good for the seals (I belive that's what it said). Anyhow, I do remember the thread saying it's better to be low a quart than over a quart.

Another reason 99% of women should never pop the hood of a car (NO offenese to the girls on this site)

Good luck and post the results. I'm interested to know what happens
Old 06-17-2003, 01:51 PM
can I haz?

yeah i think ur gaskets are garbage
Old 06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (Hybrid93Hatch)

now it's time for a swap.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (HybridcivicLS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridcivicLS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now it's time for a swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seals are probably done for.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (Hybrid93Hatch)

Lets say the engine cranks or starts, but not running at all. Yeah I drained all of the oil out and replaced it back with the right amout before I crank the car up. I'm just confused on what might be wrong never ran into something like this.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:52 PM
can I haz?

check the compression i bet its all done for
Old 06-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only a women....
Old 06-17-2003, 03:09 PM

Yuck! Anyone up for a nice cup of steamy, hot, gasket soup?
Old 06-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only a women....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That`s a "womAn," to you sir
Old 06-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sinister)

which gaskets would be affected?
Old 06-17-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (SlowBlueSi)

How u check the compression?? I heard of ppl checking the compresion of their engine when they first got their swap. Always been curious.

OH yeah back in the day when I worked at Wal-Mart we had this girl come in there. Let's say it was a plymoth duster or something just like it. She filled it with about 6 or so quarts till it got to the top of the valve cover. Well she came there SMOKING like crazy. We changed the oil and I drove the car around the back of the building for like an hour. It just let offf HUGE smoke clouds I couldn't even see. Eventually it cleard up but I'm sure it wasn't tooo healthy for the engine.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drain the oil and check the plugs. they might be fouled
Old 06-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (bobbysteelz_92VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bobbysteelz_92VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How u check the compression?? I heard of ppl checking the compresion of their engine when they first got their swap. Always been curious.

OH yeah back in the day when I worked at Wal-Mart we had this girl come in there. Let's say it was a plymoth duster or something just like it. She filled it with about 6 or so quarts till it got to the top of the valve cover. Well she came there SMOKING like crazy. We changed the oil and I drove the car around the back of the building for like an hour. It just let offf HUGE smoke clouds I couldn't even see. Eventually it cleard up but I'm sure it wasn't tooo healthy for the engine.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. women.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bobbysteelz_92VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How u check the compression?? I heard of ppl checking the compresion of their engine when they first got their swap. Always been curious.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what you need to do. Your plugs are probably soked in oil...just replace those to start, and run it. It will smoke a lot for awhile, but should clear up within a decent amount of time
Old 06-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what you need to do. Your plugs are probably soked in oil...just replace those to start, and run it. It will smoke a lot for awhile, but should clear up within a decent amount of time </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would change the plugs AGAIN after the smoke cleared up if I were you.

still lol'ing at women.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (Sketch_hs)

I replaced the spark plugs, but not the valve gasket yet. Autozone doesn't have it in stock, had to order. Anyways after changing the spark plugs, car still didn't want to start. It cranks, but not running. What else could be the problem?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (Sketch_hs)

The guy is asking for some assistance not for gf flaming. If you have nothing to post and help a fellow honda guy, then dont waste space...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gaskets and pumps might be gone...check the plugs if oil got in there...and poke the gf's starfish as punishment
Old 06-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might have oil on top of your cylinder heads, take out ALL plugs and turn over the engine and try to blow out oil from the walls. The car should start if there is a spark. Check if it is getting one. if you have spark and are getting gas to the cylinders it SHOULD start. It may just take time to get all the oil out. Good Luck
Old 06-17-2003, 05:38 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is why I don't go to wal-mart to get my oil changed...I do it my damn self...

6 quarts of oil is not enough to completely top off a 2.2l chrysler engine PAST the fill mark on the dipstick...that will take another 15 quarts of oil....

the reason the car was burning oil though was because the oil level was high enough that as the pistons got to the lowest point in their stroke that the rings were going PAST the oil level and thus submerging in oil (which was being compressed past them) thus letting oil into the combustion chamber where it burned giving off white...to bluish/white smoke...a well coated combustion chamber and set of rings will take a WHILE after you've gotten rid of the original high oil level problem to burn all the oil off good...

same thing happens if say...you flip the car on it's side and toss it back upright and crank it....oil from the pan leaked past the rings while engine was sideways...thus oil burning in combustion chamber to give smoke until all of it burned off...

sounds to me like you somewhat over-filled the oil level...to the dangerous level (not all honda's came with metal-lined head gaskets which can sustain extra pressure)...and the pressure from the extra oil getting compressed during rotation of the engine busted the head gasket at some point...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:43 PM

ouch...
Old 06-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMCivicEF9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, here it goes. My girlfriend added too much oil when there was already enough oil in the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>
So my inquiring mind is dying to know what inspired her to add the extra oil to her engine... that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Did she fill up the windshield fluid reservoir too?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! ! (94RedSiGal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94RedSiGal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So my inquiring mind is dying to know what inspired her to add the extra oil to her engine... that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Did she fill up the windshield fluid reservoir too? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What she told me was that before she started the car, she checked the oil by opening the oil filler cap. Looking in she thinks that there is no oil! She even checked the dip stick, again oil wasn't full to her. So she decided to add about 3 more qrts. Then drive it around town shopping.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ahhh i read this post on some other board

Quick Reply: Girlfriend F!@KED up her car! ! !