Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions

I was finally able to find a nice Civic for my girlfriend to replace her very impractical Mustang and I was wondering a few things. She wanted to get a Si EK, but she'll be in college for another 3 years and we didn't want to have to worry about someone messing with it while it sits in the college parking lot. We both decided it would be a good car for her to get her through college. The other advantage to this one compared to an EK is that it's going to get better gas mileage. IIRC the D16's got like 5 MPG more than the B16's did. Also, I do know that the D16's are a little cheaper on parts too. So now here's my questions. She said she wanted to put 17's on it, but IIRC there's a few problems that go with this. I know for sure it's going to make the car slower and get less gas mileage because the same thing happens on my Accord when I swap my stock rims for my 17's. Also, I'm pretty sure it wears your suspension parts faster, especially if you're running a low profile tire. What are your guy's thoughts on running 17's?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we put 17's(205/40/17) on my girlfriends 97 dx and it rides like crap...you can feel everything
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: (hondaz6lx)

I have had 17s in the past and I hated it. I either ended up warping the rims or popping a tire. I wouldn't recommend going any larger than a 16' rim
Old 12-24-2007, 06:45 AM

Yea, that was one of the other downfalls of doing that. It's insane the difference between 17's and 15's in ride quality. I just know that bigger rims with low profile tires usually wear suspension faster. Since you have less tire to take the impact it's going to wear out the ball joints faster. My Accord with the 17's gets around 28 MPG and with the 15's gets 32 MPG, so that's another disadvantage. I was thinking of just getting a nice set of 15's for it. I figured an inch bigger shouldn't cause any problems, and IIRC the Si rims are 15's.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (A_Rotary_Guy)

yea i have 17's on my 2000 civic coupe and i dont like em, very harsh ride and they rub i would suggest getting 16's with a lil bigger tire they will ride better and i think when you lower the car it will look better more proportional, and they wont rub thats what i doing this summer.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock ek)

I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 16 inch either
Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deckster333)

Been running 15's after using nothing but 17's or 18's for nearly a decade and I aint lookingback
Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Agent_EM1)

If your worried about weight get some 15inch Motegi Track Lites Very lite but Super costly
Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Alright, I'll stick with 16's or smaller then. I figured a Civic wouldn't ride very well with 17's and I'm sure 16's might look a little more proportional since it's a small car.

I know that I won't be doing an engine swap in this car simply because there's no point in doing it. The D16 is going to be the most reliable and fuel efficient engine to go with, so we'll be sticking with that.

We've been kind of discussing doing some upgrades to the car also. I wouldn't mind doing a few things to get a little more power out of it. I know I won't be doing anything internal on the engine simply for the fact there's no need to tear down a perfectly running engine only to possibly mess it up and not have a car to drive. I did this with my RX-7 a few times and ended up messing some things up and was without a car. I'm just looking to do a few small things on it like intake and exhaust to get it a little more power. What effect might these mods have on gas mileage? Are there any mods that actually increase gas mileage?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're worried about somone messing with her car I wouldn't buy and Si and put rims on it and park it in a college parking lot.

That's like parking a CF-Hooded EG at NOPI...
Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 AM

Are there any mods that we could do with the engine to increase the gas mileage besides of course the general maintainence of replacing old filters and such? What effect would an aftermarket intake and exhaust have on the car?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Anyone know anything about my post about?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (A_Rotary_Guy)

Theres a ton of different things to do that could help u save gas ill try to find them for u
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (A_Rotary_Guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A_Rotary_Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was finally able to find a nice Civic for my girlfriend to replace her very impractical Mustang and I was wondering a few things. She wanted to get a Si EK, but she'll be in college for another 3 years and we didn't want to have to worry about someone messing with it while it sits in the college parking lot. We both decided it would be a good car for her to get her through college. The other advantage to this one compared to an EK is that it's going to get better gas mileage. IIRC the D16's got like 5 MPG more than the B16's did. Also, I do know that the D16's are a little cheaper on parts too. So now here's my questions. She said she wanted to put 17's on it, but IIRC there's a few problems that go with this. I know for sure it's going to make the car slower and get less gas mileage because the same thing happens on my Accord when I swap my stock rims for my 17's. Also, I'm pretty sure it wears your suspension parts faster, especially if you're running a low profile tire. What are your guy's thoughts on running 17's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then a civic is not the way to go - simple as that. You're talking about a car with one of the highest theft rates in the US. They get jacked in daylight, for crying out loud.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then a civic is not the way to go - simple as that. You're talking about a car with one of the highest theft rates in the US. They get jacked in daylight, for crying out loud.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude your the Biggest Dick on here
Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dude your the Biggest Dick on here </TD></TR></TABLE>

Show me one government survey that says I'm wrong, I beg of you.

PS:
And yes, I do have the biggest dick on here.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Waiting for the lock...
Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Show me one government survey that says I'm wrong, I beg of you.

PS:
And yes, I do have the biggest dick on here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess some ppl cant handle the truth. Honda and Acura has the highest theft rates then comes Saturns. Syndacate is a really knowledgable guy. He knows what hes talking about.

P.S. I dont know if he does has the biggest dick in here. But I do.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (A_Rotary_Guy)

Honda has it down to a science ive been running 15 inch rims 205 50 15's and they dont destroy my suspension i recomend 15's they look nice and keep you safe.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Waiting for the lock...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys can call me an ******* all day.

I'm simply pointing out something important, the OP said his girlfriend strayed from the Si because she actually wants it to be there when she gets out of class. If you want to leave your car alone for awhile and still have it be there when you get out of class, a 5th/6th generation Honda Civic isn't what you want.

They're one of the top stolen cars in the US, how many threads have you seen on here talking about cars stolen? It's a lot more than in the mustang 5.0 forums.

If you're getting a car you expect to leave a lone and you want it to be left alone, then starting out with a car that's in the top 5 highest stolen in the country every year may not be the best idea, that's all I'm saying.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (hmtcrxsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Syndacate is a really knowledgable guy. He knows what hes talking about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.

Syndacate you gotta ease up a little man. Try not to be so abrasive. Ya like you're gonna listen to me, I'm just a dumbass '07. What the fvck do I know.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree.

Syndacate you gotta ease up a little man. Try not to be so abrasive. Ya like you're gonna listen to me, I'm just a dumbass '07. What the fvck do I know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't believe in that whole "07 members are dumb (or less)" useless *** philosophy.

I'm just saying I wasn't starting a fight, I was simply letting the OP be aware of the contradictions in needing to leave the car alone while she's in class and not let it be touched/stolen, and buying a 5th or 6th generation civic.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy it. Get a Alarm With Keyfob that Vibs when car is being messed with. some kill switches then your set
Old 12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deckster333)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deckster333 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 16 inch either</TD></TR></TABLE>

X10
Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmfoose)

16's FTW!

Quick Reply: Girlfriend buying a 97 DX Coupe - just a few questions