Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting ready for paint job - OPINIONS PLEASE!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for paint job - OPINIONS PLEASE!

OK, I am planning to prepare my car for a complete paint job... just the taking-off-parts part of the preparation...

It is 1996 DX coupe... nothing is rusty on the outside but I don't know what I will find when I take off the bumpers and side skirts...

It is just that there are so many dings and scratches and that pisses me off... I want to have a clean car...

And today, my wife scratched the rear bumper hitting the tree... that was it...

So I need your opinions what to take off the car and what to leave there...

I was thinking of leaving rear and side glass, windshield and sunroof...

Is that OK, or should I take those off too??? cos sunroof is a bitch to disassemble and even bigger bitch to reassemble...

What would you guys do if you were me???

What to take off the car and what to leave on???
Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Getting ready for paint job - OPINIONS PLEASE! (KKVTi)

When my car was painted, the painter took off every thing that he could, and painted each part separately. He took off the bumpers, hood, fenders, side skirts, trunk lid, and whatever else could be removed. He painted all the parts separately, then the car, and reinstalled everything.

But I was having a complete color change done (green to blue), if you're doing this yourself, and are maintaining the same color, all that work is likely unnecessary.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Getting ready for paint job - OPINIONS PLEASE! (KKVTi)

it just depends on how far you want to go.you can carefully mask everything and it will turn out fine.
on my car,the shop removed every panel,as well as all the glass and the sunroof.
tape lines are possible areas of trouble in the future,but removing too many parts can become cost prohibitive if you have to pay somebody(to remove the glass for example).
BTW-i know on the 92-95 cars you can remove just the sunroof glass with (i think,been a while)four bolts.this will allow you to spray in the fold of the roof where the sunroof sits.i'm assuming since your car is a DX it's an aftermarket sunroof?no idea on how it would comeout.
Chris