Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

getting an eg hatch, si or vx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting an eg hatch, si or vx?

hey guys, i'm hopefully getting my hatch tomorrow. but i'm kinda stuck between two, one's an Si and the other is a VX. which one is lighter? also if i do choose the si, i can just do some weight reduction and it'll weigh about the same as a cx or dx? thanks.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (ntogethernow)

what are your goals with the car?
Old 07-05-2003, 01:12 AM

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (igyloo)

well i plan on doing an engine swap around next summer cause by then i'll have enough $. either an h22 or b18c5 all motor.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:13 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

If you're concerned about weight... Get a VX or CX. If you want some creature comforts... Get a DX or Si.

My simple weight reduction threads:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=512901
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=512955
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=525936
Old 07-05-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (VX)

VX, do you kow the weight on the si? vx? the creature comforts doesn't mean a great deal to me but it would be nice to have a car with a little power until i get the engine swap next summer
Old 07-05-2003, 01:28 AM

i would go with the SI is u want sun roof, powed windows and ****....
i would go with the VX if u want something light and staight out drag....
and i would recomend the B18C5 because i think it's a lot more reliable and a lot stonger then the H22 IMO...
Old 07-05-2003, 01:33 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ntogethernow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VX, do you kow the weight on the si? vx? the creature comforts doesn't mean a great deal to me but it would be nice to have a car with a little power until i get the engine swap next summer</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is a good thorough thread about the weight differences between the Trim Levels:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=150315
Old 07-05-2003, 01:42 AM

thanks a lot VX. helped out a grip.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (EK-TUNED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK-TUNED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go with the SI is u want sun roof, powed windows and ****....
i would go with the VX if u want something light and staight out drag....
and i would recomend the B18C5 because i think it's a lot more reliable and a lot stonger then the H22 IMO... </TD></TR></TABLE>

92-95 hatches didn't come with power windows/locks, only the coupes. Go with the VX if you're not concerned about having a moonroof, PS, AC, etc. I have an Si, and it's heavy, you can feel the difference with just normal driving.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

92-95 hatches didn't come with power windows/locks, only the coupes. Go with the VX if you're not concerned about having a moonroof, PS, AC, etc. I have an Si, and it's heavy, you can feel the difference with just normal driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know which world you live in but every SI i have seen has PW PL PS
Old 07-05-2003, 03:21 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (ace1875)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace1875 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i don't know which world you live in but every SI i have seen has PW PL PS</TD></TR></TABLE>
The '92-95 Si did not come with power windows or locks.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:19 AM

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (Targa250R)

my 92 SI did not come with power windows.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (JetSI)

no si came standard with power win or locks, only AC, PS, sunroof, cruise, and a tach
Old 07-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace1875 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i don't know which world you live in but every SI i have seen has PW PL PS</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are mistaken.

I've been working in and around Honda dealers since 1995, and I have owned 2 1992 Si hatches and have seen literally hundreds of them and I have not ever seen power windows or door locks - EVER!

Coupled with that is the FACT that Honda's own dealership sales brochures that list all of the features have NEVER listed these items for the Si hatch, but they have listed them for the 1993-1995 EX coupe and 1992-1995 EX and LX 4-door.

This is all USDM of course, where most of us live.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no si came standard with power win or locks, only AC, PS, sunroof, cruise, and a tach</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really wish everyone would read the last link the VX provided. It has pretty much every weight-conscious featire for each car broken down by each model.

If people would read it they would know that the Si did NOT come with A/C or even a radio in 1992-1993. A/C was an OPTION on the Si hatch. Yes the dealers added it to most of the Si hatches, but it was not a factory option, meaning that the weight listings for the Si hatch do NOT take the added weight of the A/C system into account.

I have gone from an Si hatch to a CX hatch with the same engine and I'd never go back to an Si - not if I wanted to be quicker for cheaper.

I like the 1992 Si I still have with the B16A2 because it still has A/C, P/S, and cruise. I rarely use the moonroof any more, especially if the A/C is on so I don't care about it. The main thing I like is the A/C, which can be added to my CX at any time if I so choose.

My honest opinion?

If you want to weigh as much as 250lbs. less than the Si hatch and don't need the moonroof, get the VX. You will easily run a few tenths quicker n the 1/4 mile and the car is stiffer and has less weight up top to induce body roll because it doesn't have the added weight of the moonrof up top - the shittiest place to have weight other than in front of your front wheels.

If you must have the moonroof and don't mind weighing more and being slower than the other guys in their VX, VX, or DX hatches then the Si is a sweet car.

BTW:

Which car is in better shape?
Old 07-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (B18C5-EH2)

If you're stuck between the 2, there's no reason not to go Si. Everybody I know with a hatch wishes they had my car instead. There are a lot of little things here and there that make it better....dead pedal, visor above mirror, hatch cover, dual painted mirrors already, stock peppy engine, bigger front sway, rear disc, etc.

you can swap the drums on the VX to Si disc, and there's a lot of the 250 lbs difference. There's also sound deadening you can remove, etc.

I don't see why everyone is so concerned about weight in a daily driven car. If this was a drag car I would understand, but not in a daily driver/weekend racer.

Driver skill will more than make up for the slight difference in weight anyway....plus, most of the weight is there and you can either remove it, or it's an upgrade already from the base model hatches
Old 07-05-2003, 08:46 AM

U really should read the whole post and topic and then if you really knew about EG's all 92-95 civic HATCHbacks don't have pw, pl.. I KNOW I want them so i might get 2 92-95 EX doors so I can have pw,pl .. BUT MY VX rules.. luv it. It got a flip sunroof too..
Old 07-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in reality, just North of reason, and I own an Si, so do 3 of my good friends, NONE OF THEM came with power windows/locks, I had to convert using EX parts.

Modified by rodrez at 12:42 PM 7/5/2003
Old 07-05-2003, 09:42 AM

Default SI LOVER

well i know thay my 92 si is alot heavyer but, i love it.. this was my first car with a sun roof and fell inlove with it.. and if your going to get a b swap, u need rear disc! there is a alot of tar to keep thewind noise down.. ride in a car with no tar, it is so annoying as ****!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI LOVER (wm5holla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wm5holla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i know thay my 92 si is alot heavyer but, i love it.. this was my first car with a sun roof and fell inlove with it.. and if your going to get a b swap, u need rear disc! there is a alot of tar to keep thewind noise down.. ride in a car with no tar, it is so annoying as ****! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, but some people prefer the lightweight to reduced roadnoise
Old 07-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Default Re: SI LOVER (rodrez)

weight, weight, its all bullshit.. if want to really lose weight go on a ****** deit. im weight 170 . it dont matter ifu got a 2100 hatch and u weight 250,
Old 07-05-2003, 10:46 PM

just get the vx because it weighs about 2200lbs and is already wired for vtec
Old 07-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI LOVER (wm5holla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wm5holla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">weight, weight, its all bullshit.. if want to really lose weight go on a ****** deit. im weight 170 . it dont matter ifu got a 2100 hatch and u weight 250, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, in a competitive sense, power to weight is extremely important, whether it be road or drag racing.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:54 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (Shu_EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shu_EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get the vx because it . . . is already wired for vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>
And the Si isn't?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: getting an eg hatch, si or vx? (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are a lot of little things here and there that make it better....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dead pedal, visor above mirror, hatch cover,</TD></TR></TABLE>

And each of these things can be added to the VX within a matter of minutes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dual painted mirrors already</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not on the 1992 Si hatchback. Only on the 1994-1995s did the Si have painted mirrors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock peppy engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

...which most people will ditch anyways. I've always said if you plan on swapping immediately that the CX/VX engine won't matter. Now if someone has to wait a year that's when I'd recommend the DX and Si because their engines are actually livable unlike the shitty-trannied CX and VX with their 70hp and 92hp.

bigger front sway, rear disc, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can swap the drums on the VX to Si disc, and there's a lot of the 250 lbs difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Define "a lot" please.

I went to the strip with two of my friends back when I had my Si hatchback and swap. We were all full interior.

My Si weighed 2289lbs. with full interior minus spare on Rotas C8 wheels with an ITR swap. Gas was less than 1/4 tank. I didn't have A/C and I also had a manual DX rack too.

My pal's 1992 VX with B18C1 and 4-wheel discs only weighed 2100lbs. He was also at less than 1/4 tank. He was on Rota slips with the same tires as me too, Pirelli P700Z. He only had his spare removed as well.

I have picked up bpth drums and discs back-to-back and while the rear discs are heavier, they can't be over 20lbs. heavier total IMO.

If you read my weight topic you'll see that there are a lot of things make the weight of an Si more than the CX and VX.

A CX or VX could have P/S and A/C added and still weigh less than a stripped Si hatchback.

Quick Reply: getting an eg hatch, si or vx?