Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/geting-my-motor-yay-have-few-questions-939929/)

gezer 07-27-2004 01:23 PM

GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions?

ok iam going to get a itr motor 98+ but the guy sold the damn tranny so iam geting the 96 spec tranny. He is selling the swap with that tranny for 4100. first question is that a good price?
#2 how will i be able to differ the 96 spec motor from the 98, just to make sure the guy isnt selling me the 96?
#3 what are the signs of a good motor? what should i look for when i go to buy this motor as far as exterior?

p.s thank you guys! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

RyanEJ8 07-27-2004 02:36 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (gezer)

$4100 is a decent price for that motor, but ITR motors are overpriced to begin with. I would get something else.

TheAntiEndz0r 07-27-2004 02:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
#2 how will i be able to differ the 96 spec motor from the 98, just to make sure the guy isnt selling me the 96?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what would be the difference in the motor, if u didn't get a 98.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
#3 what are the signs of a good motor? what should i look for when i go to buy this motor as far as exterior?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, make sure there's no holes in it...not really sure how much u can tell from the outside of the motor. pulling off the head and looking inside would be a better indicator.

gezer 07-27-2004 02:48 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (Endz0r)

the 98 has different cams,and different headers. and a 96 spec swap goes for about 4100. So why not pay teh same and get the 98 spec swap. Can someone who knows for sure just help with my questions plz. thanks

murtnabila 07-27-2004 02:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok iam going to get a itr motor 98+ but the guy sold the damn tranny so iam geting the 96 spec tranny. He is selling the swap with that tranny for 4100. first question is that a good price?

p.s thank you guys! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif </TD></TR></TABLE>
#1 Price seems fair not great. I'm sure if you keep looking you could probably find an itr swap near that price though. That lsd is WORTH it even if you have to spend lil more than the 4100.
#2 If you run the serial numbers through WHICH YOU BETTER! (don't wanna get fucked with a stolen motor like A LOT of people!) you should also be able to find out what year it is. Plus make sure it is a B18C5 (stamped on block)
#3 look for corrosion or anything near the head and block, open the valve cover and examine the springs, retainers, ect and if there is too much gunk in there it probably was not maintained like it should've been (I wouldn't buy it). Hopefully the motor still in car then you could start it, run it, do compression/leak test and check and see that it isn't overheating.

gezer 07-27-2004 05:16 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (murtnabila)

the motor iam buying is from an actually shop. its not from a private owner. it is coming with teh lsd tranny. Except its teh 96 tranny, so the only difference is the final drive. also its not a usdm motor, its a jdm motor. Its from R crewracing in sanfransisco, they seem to have alot of good feed back and there customer service has been great so far.

gezer 07-27-2004 08:58 PM

bump anyone who can help, just wanna make sure everything is cool https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Good ol' Screwtape 07-27-2004 09:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murtnabila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Plus make sure it is a B18C5 (stamped on block)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh...if it says B18C5..he found a USDM ITR motor. I give him props.

I think you want to look for "B18C" on the block, if you're looking for a JDM ITR motor, just like my ITR motor. B18C, just like the GS-R block stamp.

You want some easy advice? Pull the spark plugs and look at the nodes. Plugs can tell you a lot about what's going on inside the motor.

Don't go any higher than 4100. As a matter of fact, fuk that, tell him you'll do it for 3800, 3900 tops.

gezer 07-28-2004 12:02 AM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (R_EG_Toorbo.)

damn 3800-3900 hundered for a 98 spec itry swap. i was thinking 4100 was a good deal. But shit when i get up there i guess i will ask. Iam driving 6 hours for the motor so....so again its a 98 jdm spec motor with the 97 spec tranny. so only thing iam missing is teh 4.75 final drive. is this a good deal for 4100?( its a complete swa guys, axels, ecu, shift linkage, all sensors)

Modified by gezer at 4:20 PM 7/28/2004

gezer 07-28-2004 07:20 AM

bump

RS Design 07-28-2004 07:47 AM

its decent... with that money i would rather buy a gsr and make my own turbo kit...

im selling a gsr long block https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif
you can even buy my turbo kit too LOL

gezer 07-28-2004 09:33 AM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (909area)

haha thanks, the reason iam buying a type r is because i wanna go Na. and i just want a swap i can put in and not have to worry about for a while. In the mean time i will be saving up and adding to the motor little by little. also had another quick question. the jdm itr axles that come with the swap, will li be able to use those or no? i read something about the 36mm hub and the 32mm being a problem or something. I didnt understand it. So if someone can clear that up it would be great https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

gezer 07-28-2004 10:45 AM

bump so many views so little replys https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

Harry_Randal 07-28-2004 11:08 AM

I believe you can run a compression check without the motor actually running.

Pull the plugs, put the compression tool into the plug hole, turn the motor at the crank as fast as you possibly could.

I am not sure on this one so dont qoute me, but when my car wasnt running they checked the compression and I am pretty sure this was the method. Now the motor was in the car and the starter was cranking so they could have used to starter to crank the motor. Thats why I say turn that crank as fast as you can when doing it. Just to make sure you are simulating a motor that is actually cranking lol

4100 is a bit much, but nontheless R motors are pricey (Why I wouldnt buy one)

gezer 07-28-2004 12:50 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (Harry_Randal)

ya well..tahts change again. now iam geting a full 98 swap for 4700. with the 98 spec tranny to. DAMN !!! i hate how honda motors cost so much, iam be paying it off for like 4 years or something haha.

97civicdx 07-28-2004 12:54 PM

Doesnt HMO sell r motors for 4100?

gezer 07-28-2004 01:05 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (97civicdx)

naw those are the 96 spec and they dont have axels or shift linkage. also there prices on there websites are all off. everyone hmotors has good prices. but he said for a 98 spec motor i would be paying around 5g when on the website it says 4500 for full swap. And the funny thing is, i even asked steve, are the prices on the website correct, he said "YA" but u have to add sales tax if u use credit card. and iam like " ok coo" then he tells me different right when iam trying to buy the motor. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif and thats not even with teh 3 % imma get hit with. so i found one for cheaper then that, iam jump on it!

ABK 07-28-2004 01:22 PM

Re: GETing my motor!! yay ...have a few questions? (Harry_Randal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Harry_Randal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe you can run a compression check without the motor actually running.

Pull the plugs, put the compression tool into the plug hole, turn the motor at the crank as fast as you possibly could.

I am not sure on this one so dont qoute me, but when my car wasnt running they checked the compression and I am pretty sure this was the method. Now the motor was in the car and the starter was cranking so they could have used to starter to crank the motor. Thats why I say turn that crank as fast as you can when doing it. Just to make sure you are simulating a motor that is actually cranking lol

4100 is a bit much, but nontheless R motors are pricey (Why I wouldnt buy one)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got to have the tranny on to do that. so you can hook up the starter and run it off the battery.