Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Get more oil pressure for free (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/get-more-oil-pressure-free-794012/)

hondapwr 03-09-2004 07:00 PM

Get more oil pressure for free

Some of you may already have noticed this, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I got an oil change tonight, and after the filter and oil was changed my max oil pressure went from 50psi to 75psi.

I guess as the filter element picks up dirt it becomes harder to push the oil through it. I like the fact that I can keep an eye on my gauge to find out when I need to change the filter.

Having higher oil pressure keeps your engine safe while cornering. (cornering makes your oil pressure drop as g-force increases). I've actually managed to cause VTEC to disengage while cornering at high speeds because of an oil pressure drop.

PS: Honda makes those blue filters in a smaller diameter now so they can fit beside your oil pressure sensor. (sealing area and threads are identical to older design)

NOSpeed97 03-09-2004 09:36 PM

Re: Get more oil pressure for free (hondapwr)

Oil pressure is going to depend on your engine's rpm. If your oil pressure dropped while cornering it's probably due to inadequate baffling within your oil pan. That is, the oil got pushed to your oil pan's wall causing your oil pump to starve.

JayDMsleeper 03-10-2004 05:02 AM

Re: Get more oil pressure for free (hondapwr)

i've never noticed my oil pressure drop b/c i need an oil change... it always peaks at 75psi.

splitime 03-10-2004 05:40 AM

Re: Get more oil pressure for free (NOSpeed97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOSpeed97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oil pressure is going to depend on your engine's rpm. If your oil pressure dropped while cornering it's probably due to inadequate baffling within your oil pan. That is, the oil got pushed to your oil pan's wall causing your oil pump to starve.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Beat me to it. Thats the reason behind oil starvation in corners. Now, smaller filters have been argued/shown to increase pressure by like 5psi or so. Still not sure how I feel about that, although it appears that acura has just switched to using the smaller filters for all cars.

hondapwr 03-11-2004 02:43 PM

Re: Get more oil pressure for free (JayDMsleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDMsleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never noticed my oil pressure drop b/c i need an oil change... it always peaks at 75psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh.. Maybe I just got some Hondabond lodged in the filter. I'll know after a few thousand miles if my oil pressure starts to drop again.

You're correct about the oil pan baffling problem. Moroso and others make pans to help reduce the effect of hard cornering on your oil pressure.