Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

General info for the non car-centric person

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General info for the non car-centric person

This is my first time being at this forum after searching around for some place to gain a little knowledge. My main questions are about cars in general and what kind of mods can do what for me (i'm currently shopping for a car). I've looked around a little bit and this topic https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010 would be great if i knew what all the short hand meant (i do know what hp stands for though).

1. I've been under the impression that most civics are built for gas mileage and not really power. Is there an inbetween car or would I be better off with a low end integra, if there is such a thing.

2. If I were to get like, a cheap civic DX (low hp from what i know) are there any mods i could do to get a little bit of speed out of it? I hate feeling like a car is dragging down the road.

3. What are after market parts and are those even considered mods?

4. Torque...what is this all about?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: General info for the non car-centric person (Angry Domo)

Go pick up some books and do some reading!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...91319
Old 08-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Integras are pretty much the exact same as Civics. A little bit different motors, but still gas mileage cars, pretty much all Hondas/Acuras are. But you can still get good performance out of them. The RSX-S is a more sportier car that still gets good gas mileage and has a 6 speed transmision. It is actually an Integra, only Acura decided to no longer give their cars real names, and just go with letters. Dont go with a Civic unless you are getting a 99-00 Si, 02+ Si, or going to do a swap in some other form of Civic. Bolt ons dont help much, you have to do a lot to get anything. Bigger upgrades are better. Aftermarket parts are any car parts not made by Honda that you put on your car. Dont worry about torque, hondas dont have it. j/k, they just dont have much of it. torque to me is more like real power, the power you feel. which is why people think v8s are fast, they have torque and they have the feel that they are fast. when some imports that have no torque and no feel of power (Civics) can sometimes beat the faster feeling V8. torque is more like initial power.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some quick/general short hand translations:

OBD = On Board Diagnostic (Emissions related computer)
LSD = Limited slip differential
ITR = Integra Type R
B series = Series of Honda engines denoted with a B in the engine code (B18c1, B16a2, etc.) Usually higher horsepower, and more performance oriented.
D series = Series of Honda engines denoted with a D in the engine code (d16z6, d15z1, etc) Usually more economy oriented engine and lower in horsepower.

Just browse this site, and you can find tons of more specific info. Your best bet is to spend some time on here and learn some things. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: General info for the non car-centric person (piscorpio)

I will add the
WHP=Wheel Horse Power, or the power that goes from the engine, and actully get to the wheels..

I know i didnt know this when i first got here, so, blah, thought i would add that one
Old 08-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: General info for the non car-centric person (aphex23)

Vitek
Veetec
VTECH
VTEC
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: General info for the non car-centric person

people talk about torque and horsepower as if they are two seperate things. For the most part quoting Max HP and/or Max TQ numbers really doesn't tell you much w/o looking at what RPM these numbers are reached at, as well as looking at the actual curves. If you look most small engines they will produce lower levels of torque than most larger engines. Even though both engines produce the same amount of max HP. This will always mean that the engine with less torque will have to reach higher RPM's in order to obtain the same amount of HP. HP is just a mathematical conversion of torque. That why you can't really compare a 200hp 5.0l engine against a 200hp 2.0l engine. The 5.0l will have more torque and will have the Max HP at a lower RPM than the 2.0l. There are advanteges and disadvanteges to both depending on what you expect out of the engine.

Here's a great article that explains a lot of the details about HP and TQ:

http://www.off-road.com/hummer/tech/power.html
Old 08-05-2004, 03:27 PM

thanks alot for all the info. i tried looking around on this forum but i haven't been able to find any real beginners topics.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Domo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. I've been under the impression that most civics are built for gas mileage and not really power. Is there an inbetween car or would I be better off with a low end integra, if there is such a thing.

2. If I were to get like, a cheap civic DX (low hp from what i know) are there any mods i could do to get a little bit of speed out of it? I hate feeling like a car is dragging down the road.

3. What are after market parts and are those even considered mods?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
i've heard that mods like intake/headers/exhaust you do to a d series engine (i believe d15 comes in dx) won't have the same gains on motors like the bigger motors like a k series.

i think most ht'ers would reccomend suspension before you started doing motor mods.

btw, welcome to ht
Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 AM

I checked out some of the links given and have been talking to some people so I have a better understanding of the relationship between hp and torque, and i know somewhat what headers are now.

well since suspension was mentioned and this is a topic for the most basic of questions, what is suspension and what does it do for you? i wasn't aware the civic came in a K series.

from reading one of those sites i know that air has to be brought into the engine and exhaust pushed out, so does having a larger exhaust system speed that process up enough to give more speed? what are intakes? (are those the mesh looking parts under the front bumper?)
Old 08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Angry Domo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Domo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked out some of the links given and have been talking to some people so I have a better understanding of the relationship between hp and torque, and i know somewhat what headers are now.

well since suspension was mentioned and this is a topic for the most basic of questions, what is suspension and what does it do for you? i wasn't aware the civic came in a K series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

When we mention suspension we're referring to the springs, shocks (or struts), anti-sway bars, and to some extent tie bars. As you probably know, Civic's (as most cars) are ment to please the masses and the masses like soft, comfortable suspension. Soft, comfortable suspension isn't the best at handling, so we like to upgrade springs, shocks, etc for a better handling car.

The Civic never came with a K-series, but there are people who have swapped one in.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Domo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from reading one of those sites i know that air has to be brought into the engine and exhaust pushed out, so does having a larger exhaust system speed that process up enough to give more speed? what are intakes? (are those the mesh looking parts under the front bumper?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the most part a larger exhaust is better, up to a point. If you put a 2.25" cat-back on your car you will see a slight improvement. If you do more mods you will see more of an improvement than you would with the same mods and a stock exhaust. But if you go too big, your performance will actually suffer (bigger isn't always better)

When Honda people talk about an intake usually they are taking about a higher flowing air filter and the tube that connects the filter to the throttle body. There are two main ones you will see, cold-air and short-ram (aka hot air ). This increases the amount of air that the engine can bring in, a cold-air intake is better because it draws colder air in from outside of the engine compartment (cold air is more dense).

So basically think of an engine as a big air pump. The more air (and fuel) you pull in the more power, but you can't pull in more air without having somewhere for it to go (exhaust).

I hope that clears up some things, and maybe opens up a few more questions for you.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The Civic never came with a K-series, but there are people who have swapped one in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wrong.

The '02+ Si's have k20's.

Here are some specs on Civics,http://www.clubcivic.com/board/specs.php if you understand them.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:31 PM

that specs page is great, thanx! so if an engine is like a big air pump then bringing in more air (better intake system) is more or less pointless without a slightly larger exhaust system to accomodate? how does denser air provide more power? is it a pressure related thing?

will changing the intakes and exhaust system to make a car run "better" also make it not smog legal?

when you talked about suspension the only thing that sounded familiar was shocks, and thats only because ive done alot of mountain bike riding.

so anti-sway and tie bars? the first one i can assume has to do with keeping your car steady and moving in a straight line.

i do want a car that has really nice handling and a little bit of power. not necessarily the type of burst you get with like a mustang (i'm told thats mostly torque) but a good push.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicDX95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicDX95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wrong.

The '02+ Si's have k20's.

Here are some specs on Civics,http://www.clubcivic.com/board/specs.php if you understand them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah I forgot about the mini-mini van Ok so one Civic came with a K, and it's over weight and underpowered.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Domo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
when you talked about suspension the only thing that sounded familiar was shocks, and thats only because ive done alot of mountain bike riding.

so anti-sway and tie bars? the first one i can assume has to do with keeping your car steady and moving in a straight line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sway bars actually keep the car more level when cornering. The basic way they work is when both wheels go up or down at the same time the anti-sway bar has no effect, when one wheel tries to move up or down indipendently of the other the sway bar tries to keep the wheels at the same level. This keeps the car from leaning over during cornering. The same effect can be had by increasing the spring rates, but that will also make the ride very harsh.

check this out for a more detailed explanation:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

more good stuff:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Old 08-14-2004, 01:51 PM

ok, thanks alot. so by modifying the suspension on a car (making it harder) i can get better handling and cornering ability out of it?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 PM

thanks for everyone's help on cars. i ended up getting a nissan nx 1600, so not at all what i originally set out for. the general info was very valuable and if i have any more general questions i know where to come. thanks again.