Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird]

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird]

Well, I've done some research but I couldn't find anything exactly like my situation...

Heres the situation:

In late December I acquired a '94 Del Sol. It's the S model but with a '99 Civic SI B16 swapped into it. Before I got the car I already knew that it did not go into reverse. While I was driving it home, in the middle of some heavy *** traffic on the freeway the car just started doing some weird *** ****. I miraculously made it home still not knowing what the hell was going on with the car. The car has just been sitting there ever since.

Well just recently I started trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I found out that when you shift into second gear it is actually in fourth gear, when you shift into fourth gear you are actually in second gear, first, fifth and reverse don't work only third does. So yeah... It's pretty messed up. So far I figured maybe whoever did the swap used the wrong shift linkage but I went to the Honda dealership and picked up the shift rod and support rod or whatever they are called for a stock VTEC model Del Sol the one with the B16, only to find out that it was the same stuff that was already installed in the car. Then I thought maybe the tranny had been previously taken apart and maybe they forgot to put stuff back in when they put it back together. To my knowledge, the tranny doesn't look like it's been taken apart, I mean that sealant stuff on the tranny looks pretty stock and it's got your normal dirtyness to it, but really I guess that doesn't say much. Also the car has a short shifter but I have no Idea what kind of short shifter it is.

OH! And one more thing, the other day I was messing around with it and when I shifted into second gear it was actually second gear, I then shifted into third and back into second and when I did second gear position was back to being fourth gear.... *sigh*

I don't know a whole lot about this drivetrain type of stuff so any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. I thank you guys in advance.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird] (straggs42d15)

So you're saying that...

First (doesn't work)
Second (is usually actually fourth)
Third (normal)
Fourth (is actually second)
Fifth (doesn't work

That doesn't make sense to me. I'd guess maybe you just need a new transmission at worst.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird] (NOFX)

PM Bense
Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Better yet, get Bense in here to explain it so that if someone has a similar problem in the future maybe they can find help already posted.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

i'll bbl, my girlfriend is here
Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds to me like the change assembly inside the trans is....how you say....f*cked.

What it sounds like to me is that there is so much play in the shift gates in the change mechanism that the cams aren't forcing the right forks to move at the right time, and your trans is acting funny. Grab a helms, either a real one or one of the PDFs floating around and check the clearances on the change mechanism...I bet it's hosed.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird] (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you're saying that...

First (doesn't work)
Second (is usually actually fourth)
Third (normal)
Fourth (is actually second)
Fifth (doesn't work

That doesn't make sense to me. I'd guess maybe you just need a new transmission at worst.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.

First position - Will not go in.
Second position - Is fourth gear.
Third position - Goes in and functions properly.
Fourth position - Is second gear.
Fifth position - Will not go in.
Reverse - Will not go in.

dpaton, is that something that would get "how you say... f*cked" lol, because the tranny has been taken apart or do you think it could be from some retarded driving?

What really gets me is that it worked fine at first and then was weird and then there was that time that it worked again and then went back to not working...

Guess I'll go pick up a helms, thanks dpaton.

Anyways, anybody else have any ideas? I'm usually pretty busy but I can snap some pics of stuff if anybody thinks that would help. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by straggs42d15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dpaton, is that something that would get "how you say... f*cked" lol, because the tranny has been taken apart or do you think it could be from some retarded driving?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The parts in question are technically a wear item, but in the dozen or so transmissions I've had my fingers in, I've never seen it worn that badly. None were over about 160k mi tho.

Also, I'm just a garage weenie making educated guesses. Bense is the one I'd really rely on.

A few pictures of the change assembly would be nice. Also, of the fork clearance to the gears, and the ends of the forks. I'm curious just how much wear is in the trans. Don't forget to hit the macro button like so many others do
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird] (dpaton)

Hmm... I see. Ok I'll see if Bense would mind coming in here and addressing the matter at hand.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

something inside your transmission is either missing or broken. it has to do with the shift rod assembly.

your best bet is to just take the trans off and remove the gear stacks (much easier than you would think) and pull 2 gear shafts + differential out.

either that our buy a new trans

just do a few lines of coke and split the tranny apart and take pics
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gears out of place?? [kinda long but weird] (Bense)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well OP, there you go, word from the guru himself

I'm waiting for those pictures...this is one of the oddest trans problems I've ever heard of, and I'd love to know what really caused it.