Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gauges on your pillar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 02:20 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges on your pillar?

How do you guys like your gauges in this location? I have a 94 civic coupe and i am trying to decide where i want to put my gauges. it is either on the pillar or in the AC and cd player location. Any thoughts on this? Pics would be helpful as well. from any year car. Just need to decide asap.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 02:24 PM

on the piller = in view of the public= your **** gets attention= your **** gets stolen
Old 05-31-2004, 02:27 PM
New User

car will not be driven very often. this isnt my daily. aside from theft. sorry i forgot to mention that.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (DroppedGSR)

not worth it IMHO.. besides.. every ricer on earth has gagues mounted on the pillar in a tacky plastic pod.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
New User

But every ricer isnt making 450+whp either. I am asking for function. Not what is gonna keep my car safe or what looks good. I need it to work. If you believe you can see the gauges well enough to put them where the cd p[layer is i would like to know. what i dont want to know is why putting them in the pillar is ricey or will get my car stolen. thats all.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DroppedGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But every ricer isnt making 450+whp either. I am asking for function. Not what is gonna keep my car safe or what looks good. I need it to work. If you believe you can see the gauges well enough to put them where the cd p[layer is i would like to know. what i dont want to know is why putting them in the pillar is ricey or will get my car stolen. thats all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So if you have it all figured out.. why did you create a thread asking where to put them?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (DroppedGSR)

i have mine in the pillar, because my turbo timer and boost controller is where my radio was. call me a ricer but i want to know where my a/f and boost are.
was i a ricer when i had 3 gauges in the pillar in my buick? this is all function. you arent aricer if you want to know whats goin on.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (infinatenexus)

If you want the sleeper look put it on the bezel (96+ cars). If you dont care what other people think put it on the pillar. Also you could put it on the pass side of the dash like one of mine.

Also i have a dual guage pod and i dont have a problem with it.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
New User

Default Re: (infinatenexus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infinatenexus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So if you have it all figured out.. why did you create a thread asking where to put them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have it figured out. do you have a hard time understanding the thread? If you can't contribute then please don't reply. I would like to know how people like their gauges in their pillars and if it is easy to see them. As well as the people who have them in the cd player location. how well can they see the gauges there? That is what i am asking. How people like where they have their gauges and if they are easy to see and whatnot.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:47 PM
New User

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also you could put it on the pass side of the dash like one of mine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How difficult is it to see that gauge? looks like it may be a bit further away then i like...

Hmm, how about this...

I am not running AC and after looking at the pics of this car, it looks as though I could make custom mounts for the 3 AC vents closest to the drivers side. It looks like it would be high enough to see. anyone have experience with this?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The picture does jack **** to how the gauge actually is, but theres a little curve on the dash, and i put it so i could see the gauge (notice the tilt?) Also thats a oil pressure gauge so i only look at it sometimes, not all the times. I have my A/F and Boost gauge on my Pillar.

You could put it in the 3 vents no prob, just get a Dremmel and cut away the right size. I was thinking of doing that because i dont have AC but sometimes i have to use the heater so i kept my vents.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (boostedcivicsir)

damn guys stop criticizing him man just help the guy already shiet
Old 05-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (BrokeAssPinoy)

I have a dual pod gauge on my eclipse and it doesn't block the vision at all. I have a triple pod gauge for my civic and I havent installed it yet but I screwed it on the pillar before to see how the vision would be like and it's not on the way at all esp. if you're a tall guy. I'm 5' 5" and all I have to do to get a better vision is move my head to the left sightly to get a better view when making left turns It's a different story though if you have a monster tach since that will def. block you're view esp. if you're a midget. I don't prefer putting it by/underneath your radio or on the passenger side because YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD and all you have to do to look at your gauges on the pillar is just move your eyes a little instead of moving your whole head just to look at gauges all the way down the floor when you should be looking straight ahead
Old 05-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its not a daily driver, take out your dash, and mount everything to the steering column.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 3 gages on my pillar. boost, EGT, and oil PSI the main gages u need. this way they are right in view during any driving. only thing is u get a slight glare at night from the lights on the side of the windshield. i also put in a 96 center console, and put gages in the part right above the cup holders. i also have the apexi turbo timer which has a/f and volts so i can tell when my battery is running low. so i have all my bases covered.

Finally got a picture. waiting for it to get dark to take a night shot
day

Night

as u can see from the picture i have alot going on hear.
boost, EGT, Oil Psi, gages on pillar
water temp located right above cup holders in center console, (looking for intake air temp gauge, and WBo2, or oil temp, and intake temp to take up the last 2 spots, and remove the a/f gauge located down their) these would not be essential for daily driving, but important for the person dataloging and tuning to see. so their located in perifial view.

i also have a light for vtec, low oil psi, and a light for when my intercooler spraying kit is functioning.

ill post a night picture as soon as it gets dark out

PS. 2 things that i have noticed with my experiance with gauges, and electronics.
1. i want a smaller diameter steering wheel.
2. Get a CD player with a DIM control. cause damn is my cheapo CD player bright at night. im ganna go buy some tint film and cover the display cause its to bright.

Modified by bmcc72 at 7:11 PM 6/6/2004

Modified by bmcc72 at 12:09 AM 6/7/2004
Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have 3 gauges on my pillar. boost, EGT, and oil PSI the main gauges u need. this way they are right in veiw during any driveing. only thing is u get a slight glare at night fron the lights on the side of the windshield. i also put in a 96 center console, and put gauges in the part right abov the cup holders. ill have water temp, a/F, and possably oil temp down their. but those aren;t as important for daily driving. so thats why their not in view constantly. i also have the apexi turbo timer so i can tell when my battery is running low. so i have all my bases coverd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you! that is the reply i was looking for. reasoning behind your statement. I am beginning to lean towards the pillar
Old 05-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there really isn't many options. do like vin deisel, instead of nitrous bottles inside the passenger seat, put your gauges in there!

-uh oh i think i just gave the next ricer an idea.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (pb16b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pb16b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there really isn't many options. do like vin deisel, instead of nitrous bottles inside the passenger seat, put your gauges in there!

-uh oh i think i just gave the next ricer an idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is to ******* retarded

BAN!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is to ******* retarded

BAN!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL oh yes...
Old 05-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (Si Arn)

The main criteria for gauge placement should be the ease at which the gauges can be viewed. Priority gauges (ie tachometer) should be placed in such a way that they offer info quickly and easily. In other words, the driver can concentrate on driving the car instead of looking away (like at a gauge in the audio console of a 5G Civic) for too long. A gauge on the pillar would be easier to take a glance at than a gauge below the driver's line of sight.

Another thing to think about is information overload. Having too many gauges can break the concentration of the driver. Three gauges on the pillar can obstruct vision and be distracting to the driver.

The most important gauges should be easily viewed, while secondary gauges with less important info can be put in another place.

Some racecar drivers prefer less gauges. It allows them to concentrate more on driving.

Ergonomics is the key!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:13 PM

ive got 5 in my 95 coupe, 2 on top of the dash where the center vent was and 3 in the radio location. i actually dont like pillar pods because i didnt want anything blocking my view and.... well, i wont say my other reason. the pod on top, i fiberglassed it and made it so it did not come up into my field of view at all, but the bulbs i have in there are kinda bright at night (working on some kind of dimmer...). i got a lower audio console and moved my radio, glassed in a panel for 3 guages in the old radio location.
be glad to post pics as soon as someone tell me how.....
Old 05-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauges on your pillar? (sceg)

ok, well, i went to post my pics, but all i get is a red X on we-todd-did
but i love my gauges there, we used different spots on my buddys 99si and its not as good, on the pillar IMO.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want the sleeper look put it on the bezel (96+ cars). If you dont care what other people think put it on the pillar. Also you could put it on the pass side of the dash like one of mine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

im going with a triple pillar pod setup. no holes in my dash !
Old 06-01-2004, 03:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (fastontheturns)

lol.. post up some pics of this to be 450whp dropped gsr.. lol

$20 says he has ****.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want the sleeper look put it on the bezel (96+ cars). If you dont care what other people think put it on the pillar. Also you could put it on the pass side of the dash like one of mine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dood, not to be mean or anything.. but that really looks so half assed.. you could'nt get a 2" drill bit and put it in reversee and drill out a nice clean hole and file the rest down.

Quick Reply: Gauges on your pillar?