Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gauges stay illuminated when car is off!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges stay illuminated when car is off!

Hello, I have just recently installed two new GlowShift Gauges into my car. One tachometer and one voltmeter. Each gauge has a red (12v ignition switched) wire, a yellow (12v constant un-switched) wire, a black (ground) wire, and an orange (light dimmer) wire. The tach also has the green (tach source) wire.

Now I hooked the red and yellow directly to my interior fuse panel using add-a-circuits. I used a voltmeter to first check which fuse slot had power when the car was off and I plugged the yellow wire into that one. I then used the voltmeter to find a slot that had power when the car was on, not off. I plugged the red wires directly into that.

After I turned the car on for the first time after the installation, the gauges never turn off.

If I then turn the car off and back on, the voltmeter will turn off then turn back on. The tach just stays on all the time.

Does anyone here have any info about why the gauges are staying on? If I just leave them on, will they eventually drain my battery?

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Gauges stay illuminated when car is off!

The voltmeter has to be one of the easiest gauges to install. That being said it simply sounds like you have your constant and switched sources mixed up of just wired plain wrong. You should power them directly off of the fusebox and not try and splice into existing wiring.

Leave them that way and you'll have a dead battery by morning.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there only 1 or 2 of those add-a-circuits that shut off when the ignition off. the power to the others just have a constant power. try a different circuit
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
The voltmeter has to be one of the easiest gauges to install. That being said it simply sounds like you have your constant and switched sources mixed up of just wired plain wrong. You should power them directly off of the fusebox and not try and splice into existing wiring.

Leave them that way and you'll have a dead battery by morning.
I have tried switching the constant and switched sources and that did not work.

Right now, I have the voltmeter hooked directly up to the fuse box and the tach is spliced into the voltmeter wiring. I will take the tach wiring out and put that directly to the fuse box as well and see if that helps.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by BlaceRice
there only 1 or 2 of those add-a-circuits that shut off when the ignition off. the power to the others just have a constant power. try a different circuit
Do you or anyone else have any idea which ones shut off when the car is turned off? When I tested with the voltmeter, the one that has the red wiring in it, did not have any power when the car was off. But when the car was on, it has power...