Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gauge pods

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge pods

hey h-t, im lookn at buying a car and the guy installed the 3 gauge pillar, and has a few gauges. i myself dont like the look of that, the pillars look nasty lol. I know it gets screwed in so is there any where i could just get a new pillar? and can i just tear out the wires for the gauge or should i take it to a shop and have them take em out.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gauge pods

You can get a new pillar from the dealership, a junkyard, or online OE parts stores. Here are a couple parts stores:
http://www.slhondaparts.com/
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Only you can decide if you can take out the gauges and wires yourself. You certainly don't want to "tear" them out. You'd have to follow the wires to where they go and gently pull them out, unhook them from where they are connected, and tape up any wires that were tapped into (so there aren't any bare wires exposed). It's really not hard to do, it's just time consuming and takes patience. But it will be even more time consuming when you have to drop your car off at a shop, and cost some $ to have them do it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i mean i am electronically inclined, but im just not comfortable with having to work on the wire harness, not just yet. as for the "Tearing out" i just meant is it ok to pull em off, it wont screw up any other gauges in the car or throw a CEL or nothing?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
You can get a new pillar from the dealership, a junkyard, or online OE parts stores. Here are a couple parts stores:
http://www.slhondaparts.com/
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Only you can decide if you can take out the gauges and wires yourself. You certainly don't want to "tear" them out. You'd have to follow the wires to where they go and gently pull them out, unhook them from where they are connected, and tape up any wires that were tapped into (so there aren't any bare wires exposed). It's really not hard to do, it's just time consuming and takes patience. But it will be even more time consuming when you have to drop your car off at a shop, and cost some $ to have them do it.

X2.

OP, just do what he said and follow the wires and take them loose from where they are going. What gauges are actually installed? Most of your electronic gauges such as an oil pressure gauge for example will have 5 wires

Two for the light bulb which one will go to a switched 12V light source such as your parking lights, the other one for the bulb will go to ground.

There would be 3 more, one that goes to switched ignition 12V, one to the oil pressure sending unit, the last one to ground.

Thats just kind of an idea to let you know what your looking for.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel ya man, I just picked up an 98 EK from Pennsylvania and I have to de-rice it and the A-Pillar was the first thing I started with!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the gauges where oil pressure, boost? (net even a turbo'd car), and a/f ratio gauge. so i can just pull em out? cus if thats all it is then thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

year, make, model and trim of the car and we can give you an oem p/n for the pillar.

are the guages mechanical or electric?

i assume oil pressure is electric. along with the guage, remove the aftermarket pressure sensor and wiring.

boost could be either mech or elec but either way there will be a vac lin running to it. remove and cap off so you dont have a leak.

a/f gauge - find signal wire that was tapped into factory o2 wiring and remove.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

th thing is the car, 1995 honda civic eg coupe, EX trim, is NOT BOOSTED, so i dont know how the boost gauge works??
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the other thing ill need to look into
Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boost gauges usually read vacuum and boost so the vacuum portion is probably reading but it never goes above the 0 on the gauge.

new pillar p/n
84151-sr3-j00zc clear grey (light grey) interior code nh220l
84151-sr3-j00zb shimmer grey (dark grey) interior code nh180l
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 0c00l
I feel ya man, I just picked up an 98 EK from Pennsylvania and I have to de-rice it and the A-Pillar was the first thing I started with!

I wouldn't call all guages installed into a pod on the A-Pillar rice. Those that have a bunch of gauges on a relatively stock car I would say is pretty rice. I have a single pod with an electric oil pressure gauge in it on my A-Pillar, it serves the purpose of telling me on a constant basis what my Oil psi is. I don't see that as being rice.

If I had the oil pressure, boost, battery volt, air/fuel also..then I would say that is rice.

Sometimes I wish it wasn't on the A-pillar as people can see the gauge through the window and might "think" I have a modifed car when I don't. But at the time I installed it I didn't try and come up with a more stealth way of installing it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg

Sometimes I wish it wasn't on the A-pillar as people can see the gauge through the window and might "think" I have a modifed car when I don't. But at the time I installed it I didn't try and come up with a more stealth way of installing it.

unfortunately for us EGs, there arent many options. unless you want to pull out the radio and use a DIN pod. sacrificing the radio isnt really any option for a street car IMO so the a-pillar it is. i consider my 3 gauges completely neccessary so i dont think they are "rice"
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
unfortunately for us EGs, there arent many options. unless you want to pull out the radio and use a DIN pod. sacrificing the radio isnt really any option for a street car IMO so the a-pillar it is. i consider my 3 gauges completely neccessary so i dont think they are "rice"
or if you have the audio console, which so far is one of the best mods i've done, then you can place your gauges in there while having another din for storage and retaining the radio in its stock location
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deadazleep
or if you have the audio console, which so far is one of the best mods i've done, then you can place your gauges in there while having another din for storage and retaining the radio in its stock location
in an EG? do you have pics, im interested
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't call all guages installed into a pod on the A-Pillar rice. Those that have a bunch of gauges on a relatively stock car I would say is pretty rice. I have a single pod with an electric oil pressure gauge in it on my A-Pillar, it serves the purpose of telling me on a constant basis what my Oil psi is. I don't see that as being rice.

If I had the oil pressure, boost, battery volt, air/fuel also..then I would say that is rice.

I'm sorry but where in my post did I say "All gauge pods"?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in an EG? do you have pics, im interested

this is a old pic, no vafc anymore and replaced the BS a/f gauge with a aem wideband and threw a matching autometer boost gauge in aswell
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gay, I had the same problem..Except i was the one that installed it..That ****'s all up in your grill, I just ordered two glowshit pods for the middle of my dash. More out of my god damn face.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel you, I had thought about making up something and putting the gauge where my CD player sits but after thinking for about 3 seconds about not having music when its my DD that just seemed like a dumb thing for me to do. Having no music in a my DD would just suck.

deadazleep, That console looks pretty good. I like that location of the gauge and I could easily fit my oil psi gauge there. Anymore info you can give on that console? Never seen that in a civic before but I like it. Having no cup holders there isn't a big deal, there not worth a damn anyways.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they sell those consoles at inlinefour.com
but i mean, i will eventually put in the gauges when i need em, boost the car and ****, but as of now i just was a stock car. the gauges will be unused and i dont really need to know the oil pressure unless im running alotta things with it. and the A-pillar u can keep clean and relocate the gauges into the dash or center console, i seen lots of this and it looks clean, not random. So, i can just buy a new a-pillar, unscrew and remove gauges, follow wires, unplug and seal/cap anything (again, where would the boost gauge need to be capped if there is no turbo? so confusing, ricers suck) and then reinstall a new a-pillar?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

deadazleep, That console looks pretty good. I like that location of the gauge and I could easily fit my oil psi gauge there. Anymore info you can give on that console? Never seen that in a civic before but I like it. Having no cup holders there isn't a big deal, there not worth a damn anyways.
yeah the consol is the "jdm" console I picked up cheap used, the plate that has the gauges is 7.5" by 2.25" and I'm unsure what the storage bin is from since it came with the used console. 5thgenSi from carolinahondas.com was who made the plate and couldn't be any happier
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nicee, i saw a honda on here i think, can't remember, with a sick *** metal console. that **** was awesome. all modern hvac controls, radio slot, and gauge pods, i think a double din slot, and the radio compartment. i want it...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did away with my stock radio and installed amps and an audio jack for my MP3 player. So I still have tunes. In this case my GPS, which is pretty nice having the navigation piped through the speakers. I only have oil pressure right now but I have room for 1 more gauge + an EQ.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked out that EG console on Inlinefour.com and man I was really digging it until I saw the $150 price tag.... I understand it might be rare but for that price I will just keep my damn gauge on the A-pillar unless I can come across one somewhere cheap.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the EK there is a different piece of trim you can get for around the cluster, it stinks we don't have one for the EG. I think one could fit, but it'd be tight. Or the 94-01 Integra there's a little pod a guy made that went where the clock is in the dash. That was really clean looking, and I know it was some guy on here. It's not worth swapping the Integra dash in, IMO.

It has crossed my mind making a custom dash, but then the car would no longer look stock...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i kno, il4 has theyr prices up.. i thinnkk you can find em on other websites, im pretty sure i seen it on jdmshit. but theyr not really trusty

Quick Reply: gauge pods