Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gauge needles not glowing ... help plz

Old 02-27-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge needles not glowing ... help plz

i turned my car on and noticed something wasnt right, so i drove a block or two and noticed that the needles werent lighting up on my gauges. its a relief since ive had my alternator belt snap before and the gauges and everything else just stopped working. but everything seems to be working fine, climate control and everything. the only thing is that the needles for my gas, rpm, and mph do not light up. they work and all but they do not light up. any bit of help is much appreciated. ive searched gauges in the forum and have not found anything similar. im posting right before i sleep and i really need it fixed. planning to get car bar'd this week and can't afford to have any problems. im afraid this small problem might not be so small. any help is much appreciated, thanx in advance.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge needles not glowing ... help plz (singlehx)

Check a couple things really quick.

Check the four screws on the back of the tach and make sure they're screwed in tightly and none are missing.

Next, check the actual bulbs that are not lighting up, and see if they are burnt or out of order.

If you have access to another tach, try putting that in and checking to see if it works. Making sure that there isn't a short in the wire.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 AM

Default Re: gauge needles not glowing ... help plz (sagron69)

if one of the bulbs for the needles are burned out, will all the needles stop working simultaneously? i have never taken out the tach nor tampered with it but ill give it a try tomorrow after work. i was hoping it would be a fuse but could the needles not lighting up be affected by a fuse? i'd think more things would stop working if it were a fuse. thanx for the input.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what car is this for?

i know in 96-00 civics, there are two bulbs at the top of the cluster that light up the needles. check those out, they are #74 bulbs in case you need to swap them out for some fresh ones.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: gauge needles not glowing ... help plz (hkt03)

Good thought HKT03, mine went out when I was in Canada on the top of the cluster and I had to use my dome light to see what klm i was goin. If one is out it turns off the other one, they're wired sort of like christmas lights in the way that the first bulb sends the signal to the next, so all bulbs must be in working condition or the others won't work atleast in my 96 Civic EX Manual cluster
Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 PM

thats the comment i was waiting for! thats what i hope is wrong, i just got outta work but it sucks because its raining ... im going to see if i can go check it out at my cousins garage. im assuming that i have to take the cluster out so im going to research that, are the #74 bulbs available at autozone? o yeah my car is a 98 civic hx. thanx for the suggestions guys.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get the bulbs from autozone but if you can, try and pull the bulb out first.

i bought some sylvania bulbs and they turned out too fat so the left one would not go in because if spread the socket out too much. i dont know how else to explain, but just make sure its about the same "girth" as the honda one
Old 03-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How'd it go fixed?