Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge help

ok, i might get flamed for this but oh well thats what i get for trying to do something without asking first.. seemed easy enough though.. anywho, i was trying to replace my gauge faces with some new ones i bought and had to take off the needles (guess theres a tool for that..). anyways, i busted them all off.. BUT i busted them off IN the the plastic on the bottom so i can still glue them back in.. now, what im wondering is if the electric coil on the inside is preset when the engine turns on or does it try to find 0. im guessing its preset.. so, if it is, is it possible to glue them on when the engine is on.. i mean the speedo will be on 0 and the tach is usually idling at 850 when warm and i know how much gas i have.. would this be a good idea.. or maybe someone is far better than i am at it and knows what to do, i really dont wanna go buy a new one..
Old 07-27-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Gauge help (H22A1CivicEG)

You can try what you just said but your **** is still gonna be off significantly... That's why we don't use those inserts..

Good Luck but I would try that and get it close then get an RSM to actually drive off of.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those needles suppose to slide thru the gauges. i wouldnt glue them back on. it wouldnt be precise. just find another cluster from the yard.

btw: what cluster is it? rpm gauge or no?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Gauge help (=GAMEOVER=)

there must be some way of getting it correct.. someone with vast knowledge on this subjuct please intervene..
Old 07-27-2004, 05:33 AM

When you took out the limiting pins off of the gauge faces you should've marked were the needles were pointing, i did the sames stupid thing but i marked on my outer edge where the needles point the speedo points about 40 degrees from straight down without the limiting pin. plug your cluster in and turn your key to the on position9 do not start, watch the temp gauge, if the engine is cold it should move toward the bar by the C and stay there, if it imediatly moves to the middle pull the needle and point it at the C, dont go too far because then your motor may over heat in the future and you wont know it till its too late. the tach should point ~60 Degrees from straight down without the limiting pin in place, to get this properly set spin the needle counter clockwise until you feel resistance, then spin the needle in the same direction to said location. DO NOT REPLACE LIMITING PIN YET!!! then start your car and watch the tach, if it seems accurate leave it. if it is off, wait for your car to warm up (5-7 mins) and it should be on at about 800 rpm. it would be a good idea to find a digital tach from a friend; or maybe a local shop? use this to calibrate if possible. During this entire procedure do not replace the clear cover on cluster. As for the gas, siphon out all of it and put in one gallon, then place the needle on empty WITH THE IGNITION IN THE ON POSITION! as for the speedo, i would reccomend trying to find one of those cop trailer thingys and aka "speedtrap" and look at the speed numbers when you go by an match your gauges to them. GOOD LUCK!! add questions to board

oh yeah P.S. a dinner fork works pretty good for removing the needles.
ALSO: you could always trade yours for a higher milage one (dont do that i was joking)