Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gauge cluster swap HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge cluster swap HELP!!

OKAY i bought myself an 96-00 civic ex cluster and swapped it into my 96 civic cx hb (its a 5spd). the rpm works great, also the fuel and temp, works perfectly. now when i start the car the MPH needle/gauge goes to 20-30mph, and i am not rolling it's at idle. weird! ppl told me its plug 'n' play and should work fine! but my swap seems to be not. any help! i plugged the the two main harness and the yellow plug, except i dont have a green plug where the ex's has em, and my cx doesnt!

please help!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you do have the green one its kinda hidden in the wire loom but i think its for cruz control the cluster swap should be plug and play.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (95civickid)

hmmm okay i will look for that damn green plug, but i am for sure i haven't seen it?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (zerogravitycrx)

Swap the speedometer/odometer portion from your old cluster onto the EX to see if it fixes the problem. The green plug is for cruise control, which your car won't have.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (BlueIntegraBoy)

mine was plug and play. on the other hand when i tried the gsr cluster that is a different story. still havent figured out that piece of crap.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (DaKINE-Ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaKINE-Ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine was plug and play. on the other hand when i tried the gsr cluster that is a different story. still havent figured out that piece of crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>j00 need teh man above you for that.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">j00 need teh man above you for that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh its not that hard, I got mine in with some help from an ht member but I did the work myself .

Everything should be plug and play though...I would double check your wiring, plug for plug.

Only other thing I could think it could be would be a faulty cluster...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (.ken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahh its not that hard</TD></TR></TABLE>I meant BlueIntegraBoy, not God. lmao
Old 09-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First swap your old cluster back in to make sure it works. That rules the fault back to the cluster.

Then check to make sure the screws on the back of the EX cluster are all in the right spot and tight. If one of the screws isnt the right length (and there is 2 different lengths) and it is not making thread contact, it will cause the gauge to spike or lock at a different area.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I meant BlueIntegraBoy, not God. lmao </TD></TR></TABLE>

oops .
Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">j00 need teh man above you for that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I meant BlueIntegraBoy, not God. lmao </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 09-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swap the speedometer/odometer portion from your old cluster onto the EX to see if it fixes the problem. The green plug is for cruise control, which your car won't have.</TD></TR></TABLE> Should be three screws on the back of the cluster. And I agree, your car shouldn't have the green plug because it is for cruise..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First swap your old cluster back in to make sure it works. That rules the fault back to the cluster.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

A very good suggestion as well. That way your not taking apart 2 clusters only to find the problem is in the vehicle not the cluster. But I'm guessing its the speedo in the new cluster. God luck and have fun!!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (HondaFanatic708)

so it might be faulty? thats sucks!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:31 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (zerogravitycrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerogravitycrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it might be faulty? thats sucks! </TD></TR></TABLE>It may be faulty. But not to worry because if the speedo in the new cluster is faulty you can replace it with the speedo in your origional cluster. But like mentioned when you remove the new cluster plug your old one in and make sure the speedo is still working fine to eliminate the possability of a wiring issue. But otherwise its pretty simple to swap the speedos and you should probably do this anyway so the odometer reflects the actual mileage.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (HondaFanatic708)

Yeah...why wouldn't you swap your speedo anyways? They look the same and you stay legal by having the originla mileage.

I'm doing the same thing, but was gonna swap the fuel and temp gauges with the fuel/temp combo and the tach. Come to find out the actual cluster housing is different so it won't work. I have to buy a used housing and I'm good to go.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Trial User

Default Re: gauge cluster swap HELP!! (undertheradar)

some guy said "i don't think the it'll work in a CX. i have tried it in a Dx & LX and the stock car it came with. did you unplug the battery cable before you install the cluster. Since its electrical (Being driven by sensor not cable you have to install & remove the cluster with battery disconnected) you can burn out the Motor. Double check the cables and cluster"

is that true? if it doesnt work, my ex gauge sucks ballz!