Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP

I was looking around at new cars this weekend and came across an '04 civic ex, i really like how the gauge cluster looks with the red and white lighting, has anyone wired one of these into an older chassis, also does anyone have any pics of this cluster. i know how to wire in a cluster i alredy have a teg in my eg. i found these pics

Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (a1320honda)

SEARCH. It has been talked about before.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (Hatch It)

sorry, i tried to search, but maybe im just trying the right words, antone help me out?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a teg in one of the mags this month that has a RSX dash in it and it looks sick he said it took him about 1 1/2 months to fit everything up I think it was in the new Import Tuner
Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (Lmgrcivic)

Ya i cant find anything of anyone doing this in the past or even asking questions about it, if someone knows something i dont about this or even about how to search for this im open. ive been searching for the past 2 hours and nothing.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 AM

Buy a 2004 Honda Civic.

Problem solved.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (jlacoy82)

good call!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not worth it imo... best bet is to get wiring diagrams and compare... it would be a extensive cut and solder ordeal!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (JDMisGOOD)

there's a good chance taht you'd only need to re-pin. the only things i'd think to worry about is the speed sensor (pulse or voltage) and the odometer (digital instead of analog)
Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (dantastic)

well thats what im trying to find out basicaly, like i said, ive already done the work to out a teg cluster in so im confident in my wiring ability, just wether or not the speed sensors are the same and all the regular stuff can be wired in.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Those gauges are for an automatic....do the manual ones luk ne different??
Old 01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (hawaiianbro)

they dont have the p r n d etc., but otherwise the same. they look dope as hell at night. you can kinda see in the pic
Old 01-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (98HB)

i guess im the only one that finds this cluster swap "cool"
Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think it would even fit properly in your civic?
i think it would be cool if you put it in... maybe you can find one for cheap and can mess around with it
Old 01-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll definately have to repin, probably resplice, and definately have to find a good source of power for the gauge lighting. Aside from that, it's probably all cut and paste.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (Archidictus)

IT IS NOT CUT & PASTE!!!!

there are more than one function/gauge that is controlled by a digital communication line.... this line runs from sensors to the ecu then to a multiplexor then to the gauge cluster.

I know this cluster is very similar (not in looks but operation) to the RSX cluster. An adapter harness could be made but you will not have those functions that use the multiplexor.

I will be running a RSX-S cluster with a K20a swap in my EK...I will be able to have those functions/gauge by running a k20 ECU running a digital communication line from the ECU to a multiplexor then to the RSX-S cluster.

without the '04 sensors, ecu & multiplexor you will not have a 100% functioning cluster....but you could probably wire up the tach, speedo (i believe those are run off voltage)

I will let you know when or if an adapter harness will work (for a ~90% functioning cluster) - when i find out. If it doesn't work I will run a RSX-S engine & interior harness (modified to PnP with Ek dash) & I will also have to run a RSX-S floor harness to get the fuel gauge to work
Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (adirondackR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IT IS NOT CUT & PASTE!!!!

there are more than one function/gauge that is controlled by a digital communication line.... this line runs from sensors to the ecu then to a multiplexor then to the gauge cluster.

I know this cluster is very similar (not in looks but operation) to the RSX cluster. An adapter harness could be made but you will not have those functions that use the multiplexor.

I will be running a RSX-S cluster with a K20a swap in my EK...I will be able to have those functions/gauge by running a k20 ECU running a digital communication line from the ECU to a multiplexor then to the RSX-S cluster.

without the '04 sensors, ecu & multiplexor you will not have a 100% functioning cluster....but you could probably wire up the tach, speedo (i believe those are run off voltage)

I will let you know when or if an adapter harness will work (for a ~90% functioning cluster) - when i find out. If it doesn't work I will run a RSX-S engine & interior harness (modified to PnP with Ek dash) & I will also have to run a RSX-S floor harness to get the fuel gauge to work</TD></TR></TABLE>

as someone stated earlier. an eg hatch was in the latest import tuner and is running a rsx dash including gauge cluster. I wonder how he got it to work
Old 01-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as someone stated earlier. an eg hatch was in the latest import tuner and is running a rsx dash including gauge cluster. I wonder how he got it to work</TD></TR></TABLE>

did the hatch have a K20 or k24 swap??? if so:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run a RSX-S engine & interior harness w/multiplexor & will also have to run a RSX-S floor harness to get the fuel gauge to work</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't see the article but if it was a "show" car who says everything worked 100% anyways
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP (adirondackR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I will let you know when or if an adapter harness will work (for a ~90% functioning cluster) - when i find out. If it doesn't work I will run a RSX-S engine & interior harness (modified to PnP with Ek dash) & I will also have to run a RSX-S floor harness to get the fuel gauge to work</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shitty, thats not really what i wanted to hear, but thanks for the info man
Old 01-24-2005, 04:26 PM

I've got the entire instrument cluster pin-out/wiring digram for the RSX-S cluster. I've got the teg cluster wired into my eg now, but i'm looking to do something new. Depending on this semester's school schedule, i'll let you guys know if i come across anything else.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For all the trouble id rather do a rsx cluster swap
Old 01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHKeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHKeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got the entire instrument cluster pin-out/wiring digram for the RSX-S cluster. I've got the teg cluster wired into my eg now, but i'm looking to do something new. Depending on this semester's school schedule, i'll let you guys know if i come across anything else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what had to be done to get everything to work, cause ive read on here that the speed sensor sends a different signal to the ecu then to the cluster, thats all im waiting for to try and figure this cluster swap out cause people r sayin its the same for the new civics as well?

Quick Reply: gauge cluster questions, need answers ASAP