Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the tachometer on a 98' Civic LX breaks and I want to put a whole new cluster in will anybody be able to tell that I swapped it out? I don't want to have problems when I sell it later on to get my Si.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sserna03)

you could just tell them you had to buy a new cluster?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (H.A.R.T b16a1crx)

Well the mileage will be different unless you illegally rewind the miles back, or forward. I would just write down the actual mileage and tell the people you bought a new one. But if you don't want to do either I don't think that anyone could tell.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (H.A.R.T b16a1crx)

But is there a way of telling that I swapped it out. What I am trying to ask is if it is noticeable in some way?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sserna03)

If you do a good job and don't scratch everything or forget to wire something up, no I dont think that it will be noticeable.

*edit, but lieing about the mileage on your car is illegal, and if the person you sell it to does find out then you can get in serious trouble.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you buy one made for your model i dont think people could notice and if its noticible buy a new one keep the old one and show it to the buyer.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (civiccpedx)

What if I buy one of those clusters on ebay where they say they can set the mileage at any number you want. Can't I just have them set my actual mileage? Will that work? Can they really legally do what they are claiming?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you change the milage on the NEW cluster to match that of the broken one. Then the answer is yes, it will be noticable. It will show up on the CarFax report as the milage being off. However, you can (and I don't think its illegal to do) change the milage on the new cluster and the only person that knows of this will be you and anyone that helped you. I hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (DOHC4life)

How will Carfax know the mileage is off if I get a cluster that is similar to the miles I have now, maybe just a little higher? Also, I can't change the miles myself on the new cluster right? Wouln't someone be able to tell that it was odometer fraud? How does that whole thing work anyway? Is it hard to install a gauge cluster? What do you have to do? Sorry for all of the questions but since I am a new user I only get 5 posts per day (or something like that) and this is my 5th!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure excatly HOW Carfax finds out that the milage is off, but they do. Even if you do find a cluster that has close to the same miles as your current one, it will still show up.

Yes you can change the milage yourself, there is a thread about how to do it. I'll find it and post it later.

And you need to be more specific by "that whole thing."

No, it's not hard to install a new cluster. As long as it is the same or similar cluster. ie. A 99-00 Si cluster is plug and play (unplug old cluster plug in new cluster and your ready to go) in any 96-98 civic.

All you have to do is unscrew some screws, unplug some plugs and then reverse the process.

No worries about being a Trial Member, everyone was one at some time. EVEN THE MODS! It helped that you were polite and didn't flip on everyone.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take the odometer from your old cluster and put it in the new one. My buddy took his DX odometer and put it in an EX cluster.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GAUGE CLUSTER QUESTION, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can take the odometer from your old cluster and put it in the new one. My buddy took his DX odometer and put it in an EX cluster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. You can take the whole speedo/odo out and swap it to the new one. It's not too hard and no legal issues will ever arise.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sserna03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How will Carfax know the mileage is off if I get a cluster that is similar to the miles I have now, maybe just a little higher? Also, I can't change the miles myself on the new cluster right? Wouln't someone be able to tell that it was odometer fraud? How does that whole thing work anyway? Is it hard to install a gauge cluster? What do you have to do? Sorry for all of the questions but since I am a new user I only get 5 posts per day (or something like that) and this is my 5th!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe Carfax takes the info from the DMV. So if you transfer your title or renew your registration with miles below your current miles, then it's a discrepancy.

To remove gauge cluster:

1. Remove two top screws of bezel
2. Pull the bezel out. Starting from the bottom helps. It's clipped on.
3. Take out the screws holding on the cluster and unplug the plugs from the back.

Reverse steps to put one back in.