Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!!

We're trying to figure out why gasoline is just building up in a couple of the cylinders. We pulled the plugs, and the cylinders continue to fill with gas.

Ignition is OFF. We crank the car, and gallons of gasoline squirt into the air. WTF is going on???

Can someone give me a quick hand with this???
Old 04-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (Nameless RB26)

unplug the injector fuse, or unplug the injectors from the clips
Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (xerox445)

With the spark plugs out(and the injectors still plugged in), its not uncommon for pistons to shoot has out of the sparkplug hole as it cranks.

I'm a little unclear as to what the problem is.
You pulled the plugs to try and figure out why a couple cyls were flooding????

And how do you crank the motor with the ignition off?
I'm confused.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (Slopoke)

Ok, what happened was for some ****** reason, his main relay keeps power to the fuel pump ALL the time. Go figure :/

Doesn't turn off for the normal 2 seconds.

So, while we were installing the nitrous kit, we left the ignition on while playing the with TPS, and it filled the cylinders with gas.

Still haven't gotten the car started, but it's clear that the fuel pump is on at all times and never turns off unless the car is off.

SRight now, I'm just waiting for the cylinders to dry out and I dryed the plugs off. I'll give it another shot in a while.... hopefully it works.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you simply have the ignition in the on position (not running the car) and you are getting fuel into the cylinders then you either have a bad injector or you have somehow grounded out the ground wire for the injector and its staying open. you also should try to figure out why your fuel pump isnt shutting off.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (monicle)

Exactly as monicle stated, if your ignition is 'on', but the engine is not running, there should be no way for the injector to spray fuel unless the injector itself has become stuck open or the control side of the injector is being grounded.

Having the fuel pump run continuously isn't a good thing either, but you'll need a Helms and meter in order to troubleshoot electrical problems....do you have these items?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (EE_Chris)

I was under the assumption that even with fuel pressure, no fuel would be sprayed unless the injector had a pulse and opened up. I believe they work like selanoids, opening and closing. Something is sending a constant pulse. Also, im under the assumption that the crank angle sensor sends a signal to ECU which in turn sends the pulse to the injector to open up and let fuel into the combustion chamber at the proper time.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (xerox445)

the injector is acltually always got a +12 when the car is turned on the ecu actually grounds the injectors one at a time so if you have a break in the wire and its grounding somewhere it will be constantly open. or the solenoid in the injector is busted and its just stuck open. you are right though that a normal injector even under pressure should be spraying no fuel hence the assumption that one is broken.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM

i bow down to your knowledge monicle
Old 04-14-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (speedtech_bowl)

Guys I'm still not figuring this out. There is NO spark at all. I've looked at every single fuse in the car over twice!!

If I leave the car in ACC posision the fuel pump stays on constantly and fills the cylinders up. When I go to start the car, it hydrolocks, so I have to pull the plugs and crank it over to spray it into the air.. (looks like a ******* spout 10 ft in the air!)

I also had a person walk by my house noticing that fuel is coming out of the tail pipe. :/

This is really pissing me off! We had the engine running yesterday. This is ******* retarded. We switched distributors and same ****.

No spark on any plugs, just dumps fuel

Can anyone give me any advice? Seriously I need to get this guys car out of my driveway so I can move on with me life, I don't have time to **** with this anymore - it's been all day.

I can't find any electrical problems anywhere so far, none in the engine bay. All fuses seemed to look ok under very bright light. I replaced two of them but same ****.

Advice PLEASE! thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM

was the problem there before you put a new main relay...if not try a different main relay....maybe the one you got is defective
Old 04-15-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't find any electrical problems anywhere so far, none in the engine bay. All fuses seemed to look ok under very bright light. I replaced two of them but same ****.

Advice PLEASE! thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need a multimeter to check for shorts and such otherwise you're left to replacing and inspecting, which as you can see ain't getting you too far.

Are all the cylinders actually getting filled.....have you tried another ECU yet?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you'r cylinders are filling up with fuel and youre cranking it over to get the fuel out naturally some will go out when your exhaust valves open up so that atleast explains why its coming out of your tailpipe. When you were installing the nitrous kit did you do any work on the fuel system? New injectors, fuel rail, pump, anything? or did you not even touch the fuel system at all?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you looking for electrical problems when the problem is obviously a bad fuel injector? It's probably stuck wide open.

The fuel pump should always prime when the ignition is turned to the ON position. And even a few seconds after you turn it off, there will still be some pressure in the lines. So with a faulty fuel injector, whenever the fuel pump primes up, the fuel will obviously flow right through the faulty injector.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:06 AM

Didn't touch the fuel system at all.

All we did was extend the TPS wires so we could hook the ZEX sensor wire to it.

All the TPS wires match up perfectly and crimped down perfectly. I've redone that twice.

The main relay and everything else was never fucked with. NOTHING besides for the TPS.

Unfortunately I friend my multimeter with 500k volts

There's fuel dumping in, and no spark at all from the distributor. I'm thinking something happened to the main relay or something, but I don't see how it could malfunction like that.......

ughhhh, I'm sick of this ******* car. I've never had a honda I couldn't figure out. I can't find any shorted wires or cut wires either.

Guys think it could possible be the TPS?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no that wouldnt make sense with the troubles that you are having. however feel free to disconnect the clip and see if your problems are still happening. you will get a cel if you turn on the ignition with the tps disconnected though.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Didn't touch the fuel system at all.

All we did was extend the TPS wires so we could hook the ZEX sensor wire to it.

All the TPS wires match up perfectly and crimped down perfectly. I've redone that twice.

The main relay and everything else was never fucked with. NOTHING besides for the TPS.

Unfortunately I friend my multimeter with 500k volts

There's fuel dumping in, and no spark at all from the distributor. I'm thinking something happened to the main relay or something, but I don't see how it could malfunction like that.......

ughhhh, I'm sick of this ******* car. I've never had a honda I couldn't figure out. I can't find any shorted wires or cut wires either.

Guys think it could possible be the TPS?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, you're not listening to these guys. It's not ignition related. One (or more) of the injectors is open when it shouldn't be. The pump will prime when you turn on the ignition to the ON position until there's enough pressure built up (check engine light turns off when there is) If you have an injector stuck open and the pump is trying to build pressure it'll never shut off.

Also, check the wiring to the TPS, maybe the ECU thinks you're at WOT or something???

Old 04-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pump will prime when you turn on the ignition to the ON position until there's enough pressure built up (check engine light turns off when there is) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong: The ECU primes the fuel pump for 2 seconds and thats it.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong: The ECU primes the fuel pump for 2 seconds and thats it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, my bad, I thought it was pressure sensitive. Anyway, an injector stuck open for 2 seconds straight will dump a lot of fuel into the cyl. . . .
Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 AM

damn jared just has that special touch with hondas
Old 04-15-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!! (Jumpmann23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jumpmann23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn jared just has that special touch with hondas </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope you're being sarcastic... because I built your whole ******* engine for you because you have no knowledge at all with that stuff. The distributor wiring may have been off on your swap like you said, I could have helped you more on that stuff, but you were being a scamfucking **** with my parts I lended to you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, you're not listening to these guys. It's not ignition related. One (or more) of the injectors is open when it shouldn't be. The pump will prime when you turn on the ignition to the ON position until there's enough pressure built up (check engine light turns off when there is) If you have an injector stuck open and the pump is trying to build pressure it'll never shut off.

Also, check the wiring to the TPS, maybe the ECU thinks you're at WOT or something???

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I am listening to these guys. The injectors are FINE, we had the car running an hour before we touched it. All the injectors are leaking fuel, not just one of them. There's no way the pintles in the injectors are all going to stay open and fill the cylinders with gasoline unless they are shorted or grounded out somehow.. which it sounds like they are.

I will redo the TPS again today. I will also be picking up all the diagrams for the wiring today. I'll post back up and let you know what the problem was.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope you're being sarcastic... because I built your whole ******* engine for you because you have no knowledge at all with that stuff. The distributor wiring may have been off on your swap like you said, I could have helped you more on that stuff, but you were being a scamfucking **** with my parts I lended to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was being sarcastic..i dont have a problem with you..... but i do have the knowledge now... and it wasnt the distributor. it was the entire wiring harnes.. when we cut those plugs off the back of the engine harness beacuase you said they "got in the way"and there " there just dead plugs".. when i swapped the harness out for an ex one it fired right up. but its all good now its in the past.

i was just saying that it seems like your always getting jewed into these types of situations. my car not starting for like 5 monhts and this guys car in your driveway. hopefully everything works out.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 AM

Ya I didn't think cutting those plugs off would matter.. since they aren't plugged into anything. They're either diagnostic plugs or used on other cars from other countries. Just another mistake to learn from. I do have experience with hondas also, for almost 5 years now.. done over 15 swaps and moving onto nissans. It's all in the past though like you said.

Your car looks alot better now BTW. I'll have this dudes car running soon.. I'm pretty sure it's the TPS wiring since that's all we messed with.

I'll post back with the results though.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya I didn't think cutting those plugs off would matter.. since they aren't plugged into anything. They're either diagnostic plugs or used on other cars from other countries. Just another mistake to learn from. I do have experience with hondas also, for almost 5 years now.. done over 15 swaps and moving onto nissans. It's all in the past though like you said.

Your car looks alot better now BTW. I'll have this dudes car running soon.. I'm pretty sure it's the TPS wiring since that's all we messed with.

I'll post back with the results though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep its alll good now,i was young and dumb and kinda pissed off. but we both were and we had equal rights to be pissed at eachother. but now that i look back on it was over stupid ****. SO anyway you find a shell for the RB26 yet?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jumpmann23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep its alll good now,i was young and dumb and kinda pissed off. but we both were and we had equal rights to be pissed at eachother. but now that i look back on it was over stupid ****. SO anyway you find a shell for the RB26 yet? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be looking for an S13 this summer. I just picked up an H22 yesterday so that set me back some $$. I'm not in a big hurry on the 240 though. I think the H22 is going to be dropped into a 92-95 hatch soon though if I can find a good shell.

My goal to have the S13 done is by the end of summer, definetely before winter. The motor is completely assembled and cleaned. I'll be taking out 10k to put the car together.

Anyways, can anyone help me out with this D15??? This is the biggest honda bitch I've ever had a problem with. I broke my fluke meter with 500k volts so I'm at a loss to have that right now.

I pulled the fuel rail out with the injectors and layed it onto a towell, I put the car in ACC (KOEO), and it SPRAYS NONSTOP with the pintles wide open, like all the injectors are shorted or some ****.

I'm starting to think it may be a main relay problem. I can't find any problems in the engine harness. ****! Someone help me out or give me some clues to look for I'd really appreciate it. I forgot to pick up the diagrams for the car today.

Quick Reply: gasoline POURING out of cylinders!!!!! WTF!!!!!