Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket ?

i bought a LS/VTEC swap and im re-doing some of the work on it and had a question about an intake manifold gasket. I need a new one and i dont know what one to buy and what year to get. The block is a 94 and i dont know what year the head is. Its a PR3-4 I believe. So i just need to know what one to buy. Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasket ? (TurboEK9Coupe)

bump
Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEK9Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought a LS/VTEC swap and im re-doing some of the work on it and had a question about an intake manifold gasket. I need a new one and i dont know what one to buy and what year to get. The block is a 94 and i dont know what year the head is. Its a PR3-4 I believe. So i just need to know what one to buy. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno, maybe I missed something, but an LS/VTEC can be w/ any B series VTEC head, most commonly w/ GSR and B16s.

Are you telling us for sure if it's a PR3, or are you asking?

B16 = PR3
LS = PR4
GSR = P72

At least I'm pretty sure that's what they are - I'm pretty sure the heads share the same codes as the pistons - but I could be wrong on that one, somebody please correct me if I am. Any B series gasket should work though as they all have the same manifold bolt pattern...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gasket ? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any B series gasket should work though as they all have the same manifold bolt pattern...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

They actually don't, which is the reason why a B16 or ITR intake manifold won't bolt on to a GS-R head.

I'm a little confused by the original question also. If you have a PR3 head, just pick up a B16 intake manifold gasket. Is there something else I'm missing?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasket ? (Padawan)

No i was wondering what year, make and model of a car so i can get the correct one to buy. So any car with a B16 that i buy the gasket for will work with my PR3-2 head. Thats all i wanted to know so when i go to NAPA i can tell them what car it is from. Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They actually don't, which is the reason why a B16 or ITR intake manifold won't bolt on to a GS-R head.

I'm a little confused by the original question also. If you have a PR3 head, just pick up a B16 intake manifold gasket. Is there something else I'm missing? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh wow, didn't know that, good knowledge .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEK9Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i was wondering what year, make and model of a car so i can get the correct one to buy. So any car with a B16 that i buy the gasket for will work with my PR3-2 head. Thats all i wanted to know so when i go to NAPA i can tell them what car it is from. Thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, if you have a PR3 head any gasket for a B16 will work. Yes the B16 changed slightly from the ones in the del sol in OBD-I to the 99/00 Si but the bolt patterns are the same, they didn't do any drastic changes. Yes, any B16 IM gasket will work.

I don't know what a PR3-2 head is, I know a PR3 head is a B16 head, but I don't know where the two is.

As far as year though...I never looked into it nor verified it but I'm pretty sure there's a date stamped on the front of the head above the header some place (somebody else can verify or exclude this suggestion). Should say something like 9/99 or some **** like that.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ask for a 99 civic SI IM gasket or to sound cool ask for a 2001 interga type-r IM gasket there the same.....
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (210EGhatch)

Thanks for the help guys. Yea the year of the head is a 91. The guy that i bought the swap from didn't know anything about the motor and i have had nothing but trouble since i have put it in my car. A month after i put it in, one of the rod bearings was gone. Then last december i had to rebuild the head and now i have to fix the leaking head gasket. I know that their can be problems with the head gasket leaking by the exhaust manifold, and what is the best way to get everything to seal up?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEK9Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEK9Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help guys. Yea the year of the head is a 91. The guy that i bought the swap from didn't know anything about the motor and i have had nothing but trouble since i have put it in my car. A month after i put it in, one of the rod bearings was gone. Then last december i had to rebuild the head and now i have to fix the leaking head gasket. I know that their can be problems with the head gasket leaking by the exhaust manifold, and what is the best way to get everything to seal up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should seal fine w/ the new gasket.

If it's warped though you have to get the head milled and the block done a bit (block's usually not necessary, but it ensures it).

If it's not warped it should seal w/ proper lb/ft. tq. in the right torque sequence.

EDIT:
PS: Again your question is a bit on the vague side.