Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gas Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Issue

Hey all been doing winter work on my car. Anyways since its propped up I decided its a good time now to fix my gas tank. The problem is that its dented. Big dent. And I can only fill up my tank to 9.6 gallons instead of the 11.9. This dent also expletives with my gas meter too. Car is a 00 si.

So I was wondering.... If I wanted to go about taking a block of wood or something, and attemmpt to hammer out the dent from the inside, how would I go about doing this? (Remove back seats, fuel pump, anything else I need to know?) Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank Issue (riceforlife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey all been doing winter work on my car. Anyways since its propped up I decided its a good time now to fix my gas tank. The problem is that its dented. Big dent. And I can only fill up my tank to 9.6 gallons instead of the 11.9. This dent also expletives with my gas meter too. Car is a 00 si.

So I was wondering.... If I wanted to go about taking a block of wood or something, and attemmpt to hammer out the dent from the inside, how would I go about doing this? (Remove back seats, fuel pump, anything else I need to know?) Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't.

The gas tank is enclosed. You need a new tank.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey all been doing winter work on my car. Anyways since its propped up I decided its a good time now to fix my gas tank. The problem is that its dented. Big dent. And I can only fill up my tank to 9.6 gallons instead of the 11.9. This dent also expletives with my gas meter too. Car is a 00 si.

So I was wondering.... If I wanted to go about taking a block of wood or something, and attemmpt to hammer out the dent from the inside, how would I go about doing this? (Remove back seats, fuel pump, anything else I need to know?) Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

strike an arc and weld in a new panel! JK!!!!!!!! don't do it.

death may occur, ya you have a plastic tank. just get a new one. should be like 500 bucks either that or find a shell............pleanty of em in socal.........offer the owner like 150 bucks and im sure he'll let you have it
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank Issue (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You don't.

The gas tank is enclosed. You need a new tank.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you remove the fuel pump you have access to stick a piece of wood in the hole and bang the dent out from the inside - depending on where it is.

@ OP:
If I were you I'd leave it tf alone.

Not only is it going to be a big pain in the ***, especially if the dent's not perfectly centered on the bottom, but if it's not leaking now, just leave it be...
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Gas Tank Issue (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you remove the fuel pump you have access to stick a piece of wood in the hole and bang the dent out from the inside - depending on where it is.

@ OP:
If I were you I'd leave it tf alone.

Not only is it going to be a big pain in the ***, especially if the dent's not perfectly centered on the bottom, but if it's not leaking now, just leave it be...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Of course, but I don't figure he'll be able to hammer a two gallon dent out from there. I would imagine it stretches out.

Not to mention I wouldn't want to put pieces of wood in the tank or damage the tank further.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gas Tank Issue (NOFX)

all righty then guess ill just leave it alone and average my 220 a tank
Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it alone and think of it as saving $6 every fillup
Old 12-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a different tank. The em1 tank is no different from any other 99-00 coupe/hatch, so find someone parting a civic and buy it.
I changed a gas tank 2 years ago - took an hour.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a different tank. The em1 tank is no different from any other 99-00 coupe/hatch, so find someone parting a civic and buy it.
I changed a gas tank 2 years ago - took an hour.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If it makes the OP feel better, all '99-'00 US Civics besides the GX (which the chances of you getting a GX fuel tank is slim to none) are the same part number even.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ca-rs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave it alone and think of it as saving $6 every fillup </TD></TR></TABLE>
Except you'd fill up again sooner and as of lately the fuel price is more the next time.