Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas pump

Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gas pump

This might sound like a stupid question, I never looked into it though.

What turns the fuel pump off at a gas station?

Is the part (float) inside the pump or inside the car?

It keeps overflowing. Somebody told me the float is inside the pump and that it must be just at the gas station. Which is dandy but it's happening at every gas station. Just sounds like a bottle is filling up then it just comes pouring out of the gas fill thing. I know gasoline eats away at the paint on plastics on bikes...so I'd assume there'd be teh same concept going for the paint on the plastic of the rear bumper and that really desturbs me.

Any input anybody could give would be nice . Car's in mint condition, I'd hate to have gasoline overflows start to eat away at the paint.

BTW: '95 EX Coupe
Old 10-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas pump (Syndacate)

Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it has something it do with pressure in the tank or something cause it turns off if your filling a gas can when the fuel reaches the nozzel...I have no Idea though. I had a car that would do that every once in a while.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas pump (steelrainwarrior)

If it was a pressure sensor that would mean that i have too much pressure in the gas tank. Which would make sense to an extent becaues like 70% of the time when I take off my gas cap it makes a hissing sound (like when you open a soda bottle) - So I take it the cap seal is leaking...which I didn't really think would be a problem..but you think it could be causing this? I thought the float was mechanical. Also thought it was in the gas pump, not the tank.

Somebody help, the gas projecting up at me each time I fill up my tank isn't enjoyable .
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pump nozzle has a float in it. Unless your fill tube is cracked, there shouldn't be an abundance of gas coming back out after the fill nozzle float is triggered.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: gas pump (Archidictus)

So your talking about the pump itself right not the fuel pump thats inside your car? Yea it shuts off because of the float on the nozzle. When the tank is filled with enough pressure/fuel the float lifts stopping the pump from filling up more. On some pumps theres little holes on the nozzle to releve pressure from the nozzle and can also allow you to top off your car if need be (my friend does that alot).
Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes this is how I figured it worked...but that's a problem.

It's happening at more than one gas station. Happens wherever I fill up...used to never happen...then it started happening at the gas station I always go to...so it hought their pump was just fucked...so I tried other pumps at the same gas station - same ****...so a few weekends ago I was out and about (about 4 hours from my dorm) and had to get gas and then it's still doing it.

It's not happening just at this gas station, it's happening everywhere. So what else could cause this not to stop?

BTW:
Anybody have any info on the hissing sound (air rushing out) when I loosen my gas cap?

EDIT:
I wouldn't give a **** at all if I didn't know of plastics on bikes getting ruined because of gas staying on them.

If the gas overflows, will it eat away at the paint on my car?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

Well i get the hissing sound also. For while i wondered what it was and asked my automotives teacher and he said that the fuel system was pressurized as soon as you turned the car on. The cap keeps a seal on the system as to not let any pressure out. Thats why on some newer vehicles you get a CEL if you don't "click" the cap.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (excivicboy96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by excivicboy96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Well i get the hissing sound also. For while i wondered what it was and asked my automotives teacher and he said that the fuel system was pressurized as soon as you turned the car on. The cap keeps a seal on the system as to not let any pressure out. Thats why on some newer vehicles you get a CEL if you don't "click" the cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, '01 eclipses had that problem I believe. If you didn't shut the car off when you pumped gas the CEL would be on for the next 20 (I think it was 20) restarts of the car/ECU.

I'm more concerned about the paint getting ripped off.