Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gas octane rating and sputering

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas octane rating and sputering

I put in the wrong gas last time i fillled up my B16A3. Put it 87 instead of 91 and now it sputtering. Its only been doing that since i pulled away from the station. Is that the culprit?

What kind of damage can it do? i have 241000 miles on it so i dont wanna run any chances, so can i empty the tank via the drain or what?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Gas octane rating and sputering (DeadEnd9009)

Retard your ignition timing.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm too lazy to read all of your post and try to figure out why but I can tell you right off it's not the gas. You might have gotten a bad batch of gas (completely possible and highy likely) but it's not the 89 octane that's causing the sputter. You can run 89 octane in any civic and it'll run just fine, higher octane gas DOES NOT improove gas mileage, make your car run better, or anything else of the sort, those are all myths, you just need a higher octane if you have a high compression engine to keep it from preigniting, stock civic engines are far from high enough ignition to worry about preignition, 89 is fine. You probably got a bad batch of gas, just run it out, fill it up asap so the good fuel can mix and disperse the bad fuel more making it run better until it's all completely out.

Here's a tip:
If you see a tanker truck at a gas station, don't buy gas there. When they pump the gas into the tank it stirrs up the silt 'n **** at the bottom, this makes everything float around and makes the gas like ****. Every so often you'll get a bad batch, nothing to be worried about.

EDIT:
So to answer your question in short. Not only does the lower octane gas have NOTHING to do with why your car is sputtering, it won't do any damaeg to your car. You dont' need to run 91 and will get the SAME EXACT power, gas mileage, and engine life if you run 89, regardless of whether you believe me or not. Especially with that engine (not a rediculously high compression engine).
Old 09-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Actually, in the first line, he wrote that he put in 87, not 89.

And B16A3s have high enough compression to ping with 87 octane.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Screwtape Sr.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screwtape Sr. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, in the first line, he wrote that he put in 87, not 89.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's funny when I can say: You know less about cars than I do.

Even running 87 won't cause that with his motor, unless it's an NA ownage machine and he's running rediculously high compression (which I highly doubt).
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's funny when I can say: You know less about cars than I do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's funny when I can say: Statements like that are a clear sign of someone with an inferiority complex and who is, deep down, insecure and feels inadequate about other areas of his life- Since it's clearly a defensive statement...which is completely unmerited.

But, really, how do you know that you know more about cars that I do? And why is it so funny?

Maybe his ignition timing is advanced?

EDIT: I also think it's funny when I can say: I'm more literate and more educated than you. You couldn't even read the first 15-or-so words in his post. So you threw a random number like "89" out there, when, interestingly enough the number "9" isn't anywhere to be found anywhere in his post except "91".
Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screwtape Sr. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's funny when I can say: Statements like that are a clear sign of someone with an inferiority complex and who is, deep down, insecure and feels inadequate about other areas of his life.

But, really, how do you know that you know more about cars that I do? And why is it so funny?

Maybe his ignition timing is advanced? </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do I know? Because you said what you said. It's funny because I don't know much, and you made a statement that was like 4x as dumb as anything I could say. Though I have to say your first statment's probably accurate; I probably am insecure and feel inadequate in other areas in my life. I'm having trouble in calculus, and my chemistry teacher just moved to the US from Russia like a month ago so it's hard as hell to understand her. I definately feel inadequate in those areas of my life. Though I'm not claiming to know an assload about motors, always looking to learn more from peple who know more, though I do know that the gas octane isn't what's causing that.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How do I know? Because you said what you said. It's funny because I don't know much, and you made a statement that was like 4x as dumb as anything I could say. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You think my statement that a 10.4:1 CR motor can ping with 87 gas is dumb?

EDIT: No, no, "4X" as dumb? Wow, you are bad at math. If anything, my statement touches on a gray area; So I couldn't be 4X wrong.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Though I have to say your first statment's probably accurate; I probably am insecure and feel inadequate in other areas in my life. I'm having trouble in calculus, and my chemistry teacher just moved to the US from Russia like a month ago so it's hard as hell to understand her. I definately feel inadequate in those areas of my life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome. Defending and trying to exhalt yourself by agreeing with the other person's statement and adding more information. You're so textbook.

EDIT: Oh, haha...one more thing. Post whoring, I know, sorry.

But even IF my statement were 4X dumb and incorrect as you say, don't you think it's even 4X dumber to make a blanket statement, simply based on that SINGLE piece of information, such as, "I know more about cars than you." ?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever, it's too late to argue, blow me is my answer, followed by pi.

At OP: This is my last post in this thread so I'll end it with my opinion and nothing more. In my personal opinion, I highly doubt that the sputtering because of the low octane of the gas. It is more likely the sputtering is caused by a bad batch of gasoline, it happens from time to time.

Anymore flames can be directly PM'ed to me, I don't like to tie up peoples' threads.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Multi-paradigm

It can't be your opinion, because you already stated that "you know" and that "you know" that I'm wrong because "you know" you know more about cars than I do.

EDIT: (removed) Sorry, that was rude.