gas gauge problem - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas gauge problem

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default gas gauge problem

how is it going guys, so i got a question???? i have a 94 dx coupe i did a eg cluster swap, and it worked fine the first time i hooked every thing up but now the gas gauge just gos all the way up and i know the tank is almost on the red line,

so my question is should i look for another cluster or is there any way to fix this my self
any help would be great thanks

Last edited by drewbal; 01-19-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas gauge problem

Sounds like the float in the tank is messed up or you've got a wire crossed somewhere or the resistance is outta whack...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem back when I had my SIR cluster... so what cluster did you swap in? eg6 sir with white faces or black faces?

I tried looking for solutions too, and there was not too much I could do, the most likely cause is maybe a bad connections on the copper backing. They use very thin copper wire on the back of the fuel and temp gauge, often these wires can snap....

Unless someone else has some input, which would be appreciated then you might have to buy a new cluster.

My other suggestion is to have some one take apart their cluster and just sell you the fuel/temp gauge unit, but if it is a white face sir cluster, that will be very rare to find.....

(I swapped mine with a stock usdm black face fuel/temp gauge, it was easy and worked, just didnt look nice, now I did a s2k cluster swap )

hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

Check for a short in the Yel/Wht wire in the cluster connector.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help guys, i dont think its the float because when i put my old cluster in it works fine,but the cluster swap i did was a eg (92-95 si black faces) cluster in my 94 ej1, im going to try what you guys said and see what happens, but i was just thinking when i went to put the new cluster in i have a screw driver with a magnet on it and it might of touched the back of the fuel gauge (the part with the copper wire) could that have jack it up thanks everyone
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member

The contacts on the back of the gas gauge are ultra-sensitive to over-tightening. They've been over-tightened by someone, breaking the connection to the cluster circuit board. Countless people have done this...it should be a FAQ. It is fixable with a soldering iron, but it's easier to just find another gas gauge from a donor cluster.

fm
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus mungus View Post
The contacts on the back of the gas gauge are ultra-sensitive to over-tightening. They've been over-tightened by someone, breaking the connection to the cluster circuit board. Countless people have done this...it should be a FAQ. It is fixable with a soldering iron, but it's easier to just find another gas gauge from a donor cluster.

fm
i bet thats what it was... because when i did the swap all the screws were lose on the back so i just tighten them enough to were i felt they were snug and there was one screw on the gas gauge that was tight already and it was super tight, how can i tell if the connection has broke (stupid question i know) because i have never seen one broken be for thank again bro
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Honda-Tech Member

A multimeter, but I'm not sure where to touch the contacts off hand. I'd have to look. Deschlong has done this repair before, so you might want to PM him. I just replaced my gauge with a known working one and made sure to go easy on the screws.

fm
Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Oh look, I can change this

It's f***ed. Get out your soldering iron, and put aside a few hours to dedicate to this. Pull apart the gauge and examine your copper wiring.... you'll see where it's broken. You'll also see why it's a very frustrating repair.... but do-able! You will need something conductive between the end of the copper wire and the contact. I used a very small piece of sheet metal.

And for God's sake, tell all your friends - when you're working on the fuel gauge:
DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschlong View Post
It's f***ed. Get out your soldering iron, and put aside a few hours to dedicate to this. Pull apart the gauge and examine your copper wiring.... you'll see where it's broken. You'll also see why it's a very frustrating repair.... but do-able! You will need something conductive between the end of the copper wire and the contact. I used a very small piece of sheet metal.

And for God's sake, tell all your friends - when you're working on the fuel gauge:
DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS
its what i get for using craigslist good thing i didnt pay for them and just traded
Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help im going to tare it down after i pick up the wife, or i could make her take the bus jk ill let you know how it gos
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help got it fixed and if anyone has the same problem just send me a msg and i can help now that i know what to do , DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS because thats what caused the gauge to brake away from the copper wire, how i fixed it was i took a piece of extra wire i had and striped it down to were i could pull a thin piece of copper wire and then i just soldier a piece to the broken end of the wire and the other piece was soldier to the screw
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Oh look, I can change this

Nice! Glad you got it fixed. Good idea using a thin strand from inside another wire.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, its was a lot easier than i thought and i would of never know what to look for because i am still learning when it comes to cars, thanks H-T for being here its a good way to learn and not get then run around, wish i would of found H-T two years ago lol
Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Honda-Tech Member

drewbal, it would be nice to see pics of your repair so that we can add this to the FAQ sticky. An easy fix for this would be really nice to have there as this question comes up several times a year.

fm
Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member

no problem, i have pics of a dx cluster but i am sure they all work the same and you do not want to over tighten the screw on any cluster lol

First you want to take off the screws to the gauge that has been broken due to over tightening.

second you need to remove the gauge and pull it out, now you can remove the metal case that is around the copper wire, you can see what it should look like in the next pic

now that you have it all apart you can take a look at it and if its broke you would see a crack or split in the plastic that the screws go into, if its cracked then more then likely the copper wire has broke off the metal from over tightening all you need to do is find the broken wire and reconnect it with a piece of extra wire you have around just strip the wire down were you can just have a single strand of copper wire next get out the soldier iron and soldier the two ends that have broke and your all done just put everything back together and your done

i dont have a pic of the repair but if you need any help or have any more questions im here to help and return the favor just send me a msg. or post , sorry it took so long to post this but i have been pretty sick trying to pass some kidney stones man there no joke lol
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, I didn't swap the cluster I just changed the harness. It turned out to be from a auto mine is a manual. I am having gas needle problems. Could that be mine?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyblack973 View Post
Hi, I didn't swap the cluster I just changed the harness. It turned out to be from a auto mine is a manual. I am having gas needle problems. Could that be mine?
Start a new thread instead of bumping an old one.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Trial User

had the same problem tighten my screws a little on gauge and voila she worked lol something big things are small and stupid
Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #20
Honda-Tech Member

Hi sorry to message you about an old thread. But i was woundering if you would be able to help me out a bit.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/gas-gauge-problem-3018708/
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbal View Post
thanks for all the help got it fixed and if anyone has the same problem just send me a msg and i can help now that i know what to do , DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS because thats what caused the gauge to brake away from the copper wire, how i fixed it was i took a piece of extra wire i had and striped it down to were i could pull a thin piece of copper wire and then i just soldier a piece to the broken end of the wire and the other piece was soldier to the screw
Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #21
Stancetard Hate Monger

someone got yelled at 3 YEARS AGO for bumping this OLD thread, and here you are, derping all over the ******* place, bumping it AGAIN. START YOUR OWN THREAD. they're free. there is plenty of room on the internet for it.

Closed Thread