Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas gauge drops to empty when I start delsol

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gauge drops to empty when I start delsol

Hello, need help. I have a 93 delsol manual trans. . One morning while driving noticed my gas gauge on empty so pulled to gas station filled up, gauge went to full. When started the car went about two blocks gauge read empty again, pulled over, turn the key to on position needle went to full, started driving and again same thing. Did that until got home. Also noticed when I put on the hazzards only the front works and the gas gauge goes really fast to empty. Now today started looking for any thing obvious turned the car on same issue. the radio wire hit the metal and sparked and now it doesn't turn on now. What could I have blow looked at fuses none are blown and can anyone help with gas gauge problem? Please HELP!!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:39 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: gas gauge drops to empty when I start delsol

You have a blown fuse. It's at the fuse box under the dash. Carefully remove the radio and make sure the ILLUMINATION orange wire is securely covered. That is what made the "spark".
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi thanks, but I don'dt have a radio. I was trying to find out why my gas gauge was acting weird and I saw and herd the spark, I put tape over the exposed wire and try to start it and no click or crank my lights dimmed when I turned the key.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:50 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

If your lights dim out when you try to crank the engine, your BATTERY needs replacing.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, do you now about why my fuel gauge goes to empty when I put my hazzards and the two in the back don't blink? They do signal but the two back hazzards don't. Thanks appreciate it
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

the fuel gauge issue and hazard lights may have to do with either a shared power circuit....or they are two separate issues on their own. Is the car "wire tucked" by the way?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes .
Old 06-30-2013, 06:07 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

......you just answered your own question. IT's time to check the wiring. Honestly, the only way to do a proper wire tuck job is solder and cover with heatshrink tubing. Anything else will result in electrical issues down the road.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, found the crazy problem with the gas gauge. It was a fuse .I looked at it wasn't blown. So today bought a fuse tester checked them out . Really weird though, the one I replaced worked it wasn't blown and now the car won't start. I turned the key to on and heard luke 20 clicks all in a row then the clicking stopped. Took the relay which was main fi relay out waited a couple of mins.put it back in and when turn to on position I hear only one click. Also, weird I tested other fuses with the test light and the left and right high and low beams didn't light the tester but , my lights all work fine. Can I get some feed back ? Could it be the main F.I. realy?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sexyblack973
Also, weird I tested other fuses with the test light and the left and right high and low beams didn't light the tester but , my lights all work fine.
Not weird -- You would have lit up the test light had you turned the light switch on.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, found the crazy problem with the gas gauge. It was a fuse .I looked at it wasn't blown. So today bought a fuse tester checked them out . Really weird though, the one I replaced worked it wasn't blown and now the car won't start. I turned the key to on and heard luke 20 clicks all in a row then the clicking stopped. Took the relay which was main fi relay out waited a couple of mins.put it back in and when turn to on position I hear only one click. Also, weird I tested other fuses with the test light and the left and right high and low beams didn't light the tester but , my lights all work fine. Can I get some feed back ? Could it be the main F.I. realy?
If it just click, your battery is dead. Not enough power to crank. Get the battery tested at auto shop. I think you have a short circuit somewhere to drain the battery and make other electrical components act funny. You might wanna take out the cluster and check behind it. Using wiring tap, tape every wires that you think is exposed. Also pictures please.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello again , I tested alll fuses with the ignition on pisition. I clutch started the car and left it running for about an hour, turn the hey and no go. I'm taking it to a mechanic. I think it's the main relay due to it clicked like a machine gun and then stopped.Now it only clicks once.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello again , I tested alll fuses with the ignition on pisition. I clutch started the car and left it running for about an hour, turn the hey and no go. I'm taking it to a mechanic. I think it's the main relay due to it clicked like a machine gun and then stopped.Now it only clicks once.
Sounds like dead battery or loose battery connection.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello again, would you believe I took the car to a shop HOURS AGO. Icalled to find out the statis on my delsol. He said I looked and looked and could't find the problem. Is that a bunch of BULL SH!! T Aint it. Now I bet he's gonna what alot of money. Well, thats what he thinks ..I'm gonna clutch start it and take it where I originally wanted. It's two towns over and we had down pours all day thats why I didn't take it to my original place. I mean this mechanic owns a cpuple of handa civics. Cam't believe it.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Some mechanics know how to replace damaged or non-working parts but have no clue when it comes to electrical troubleshooting. My advice is to check it out yourself with an electrical multimeter. It will give you a better understanding plus save you money in the long run.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple of people have said it might be the battery, did you even take their comment into consideration?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Buckshot870
A couple of people have said it might be the battery, did you even take their comment into consideration?
x1937434932473

Like I said before.......
IT
IS
THE
BATTERY
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, changed battery and starter. Mechanic said it was the starter anyways car is running. Now, another problem I have a crime stopper sp500 remote start/alarm. My pink/white wire is for ign2/acc where does that wire hooks up to on the ignition harness ? Is it the black and yellow? Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was the battery. Starter was clicking because there was not enough. Well. You wasted money for starter already. Soooo. Have fun.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The click was the relay, I felt it clicking when I put my hand and I already had the starter purchased it last year due to 3 mechanics said my starter was going . Thanks. I'm having an issue with remote start I think while I was messin around under the dash I know the pink wire from the remote goes to the ignition the manual says pink and white wire is for ignituon 2 and accessory but I don't know which color on the ignition harness.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the manual for the remote system. You need the wiring diagram. Or else you'll fry the system.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay now, had crazy problem with gas gauge etc. Found a big hole in the exhuast. Changed exhuast and somehow all my problems mysteriosly went away Oh! and change the starter dwcided to throw it in since I had it new in the box in my teunk since last year. Anyways, problems all fixed so weird though. Also THANKS to all for your feed backs.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW