Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FYI how to replace rubber suspension bushings at home

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FYI how to replace rubber suspension bushings at home

It's a big job, especially if you break a bolt or two which always happens on older cars because of rust. allways soak well with quality penatrating oil 2 days before doing this (NOT WD-40, it is NOT a penatrating oil.) I use PB-Blaster.
But assuming you manage to get the lower/upper/trailing arms onto your bench, here is my best way to replace them with urethene two part bushings.
They are not hard to insert, it's getting the old ones out thats hard if you don't have access to a 20 ton hydralic press.

Take the arm outside and burn the rubber out with a torch, it will stink with lots of black smoke, but in a few minutes the rubber will soften and you can shove it out with the steel bolt insert, leaving the metal sleeve to deal with now.
All you have to do is get a hacksaw blade and cut it at 90 degrees inside the hole and then you will find you can just atack it with a screwdriver and a hammer to remove it.
All that's left is to clean it up and insert the new urathene bushings and sleeve, don't forget the silicone lube or they may squeek and wear out prematurely.

The main trailing arm bushing, the huge 4" diameter one is a little more involved as you need to cut the rubber out of the hole and off the center pin. I used a sawzall with a slim coarse wood blade and it took 5 minutes. Burn out whats left with your torch and clean it up. DO NOT remove this liner sleeve. The huge urathene bushing pops in really easily with a little grease without any tools needed, just stomp on it with your foot making sure its straight in the hole and it will almost fall in. Clean up all the rubber off the big 2 hole center pin and slide it back in noticing it has a longer flat on one end which goes on the inside or it won't line up correctly.

All those rubber bushings can be done this way including the rear upper and compensating arms, but those are cheap so I bought new oem's for those.

Same applies to the front bushings. I used a MAP gas (yellow cylinder) as it much hotter than propane or butane.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FYI how to replace rubber suspension bushings at home (itsmejto)

Pictures sure would help out. Oh and PB blaster is crap. KROIL is the way to go. $46 a gallon and i have one sitting at my house.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FYI how to replace rubber suspension bushings at home (ke98248)

If you use Kroll correctly, if will get almost anything loose.
The best there is.
Expensive but worth every bit you spend.