Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here

I was under my dash today doing some security mods and I decided to remove all the a/c junk under the dash I left behind. I guess its the blower and evaporator? Anyway, I weighed them after I took them out and it came out to 12lbs even. I never actually weighed all the underhood a/c parts, but when I had it all in my hands, I would have to guess 40lbs.

Note: We don't need to see posts like "wow, 50lbs, thats like .009 seconds off your 1/4 mile. That wasn't the point of this. I don't drag race, and after my swap, I didnt want to round up a del sol vtec compressor mount, so I took out the A/C all together. I just wanted to make a post to let people know how much the a/c components that they may have not taken out actually weigh.

Now, do any of you guys who took out the passenger airbag in your eg have any ingenious ways of filling the hole in the dash? I haven't taken out the airbag yet, because I dont want there to be a huge hole there. Maybe I'll pick up a cf or fg sheet and make something up. . .
Old 07-28-2003, 03:07 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (743)

yeah bro i remove my air bags and just remove dash cover off it placed it back on the dash.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:16 PM
JV
Who?

12lbs! I'm suprised it weighed that much.

When i removed my evap core, it felt maybe 5lbs at the most. 5 or 12 lbs, every little bit helps.

How did you block off the hole where the evap attaches to the AC lines? I made a plate out of sheetmetal, then siliconed and bolted it to the firewall.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I'll pick up a cf or fg sheet and make something up. . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be pretty cool.

Edit- You took out the blower motor too!? What about the winter? lol
Old 07-28-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How did you block off the hole where the evap attaches to the AC lines? I made a plate out of sheetmetal, then siliconed and bolted it to the firewall.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to go outside and do that now. I came inside because someone left candy in my glove box and I have melted kit kats all over my clothes.

Let's keep this post going. There's alot of posts about weight reduction, but if we combined them into one with real numbers and information, it would be really helpful to alot of us, I know I've searched through the archives alot trying to figure this stuff out.

I weighed my car a week or two ago with full interior, and a full tank of gas, and I ended up at 2175. This is a 94 cx, b series motor, full gsr f/r susp, heavy 14" wheels with heavy 14" all season tires. Only weigh reduction I did was replaced the 15lb factory airbag wheel with a 5lb sparco one, and removed underhood A/C components.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Edit- You took out the blower motor too!? What about the winter? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

We'll see. I still have the heater core in place. I'll probably put the blower back in later this week though. I needed to get behind it for some wiring.

I've heard of people having to end a race early because their windows fogged and they didnt have a heater core, but I've never heard of problems related to taking out the blower.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took mine out also.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:47 PM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

We'll see. I still have the heater core in place. I'll probably put the blower back in later this week though. I needed to get behind it for some wiring.

I've heard of people having to end a race early because their windows fogged and they didnt have a heater core, but I've never heard of problems related to taking out the blower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, i see. I was thinking you took all the AC and heating equipment out.

If you did something like that, and you daily drove it during the cold azz NJ winters, then... lol
Old 07-28-2003, 03:51 PM

Ah, i see. I was thinking you took all the AC and heating equipment out.

If you did something like that, and you daily drove it during the cold azz NJ winters, then... lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha. . .My original plans were to have a beater truck for this winter, but I have alot of classes this semester and I wont be able to work enough to pull it off. I'm gonna order some snow/rally tires for my steelies this year though, and through some softer springs on my coilovers. Last winter, I drove to school and work 12 miles each way, with bald azenis. . .
Old 07-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, do any of you guys who took out the passenger airbag in your eg have any ingenious ways of filling the hole in the dash? I haven't taken out the airbag yet, because I dont want there to be a huge hole there. Maybe I'll pick up a cf or fg sheet and make something up. . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get a 92-93 Civic dash. Only one airbag Some 93 EX's have two airbags though.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:32 PM

I've taken out all my firewall material, heater, heater blower, all that stuff. Once I get my GSR dash as well I'll be trimming pieces of the dash out (behind it) and seeing how much less I can get the dash itself for.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (poison)

You guys are hardcore!!
I can't even image how much you sweat your ***** off in the warm weather/summer..
Old 07-28-2003, 05:29 PM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha. . .My original plans were to have a beater truck for this winter, but I have alot of classes this semester and I wont be able to work enough to pull it off. I'm gonna order some snow/rally tires for my steelies this year though, and through some softer springs on my coilovers. Last winter, I drove to school and work 12 miles each way, with bald azenis. . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

that, my friends is hard core talk about a daily driver, out here in Cali, people get spooked out by a little drizzle
much props, my friend
Old 07-28-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (opi)

LOL, no heater or anything here. Windows down is good enough for me

Only luxory I have in my car is padding for my ***
Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 PM

Lose weight in the summer too!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get a 92-93 Civic dash. Only one airbag Some 93 EX's have two airbags though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
my 92 canadian si came with no airbags.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Re: FYI - eg weight reduction junkies - look here (C1V1C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C1V1C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my 92 canadian si came with no airbags.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you have the wheel that looks like the eg6 wheel
don't you?

Take out the passenger bag and the cover is attached
with tamper proof torx bits and like 3 sided nuts. Just
get out the big pliers. Quick work out of the tamper proof.