Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, not right after I get it to start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, but not right after I get it to start.

Anyone help with any suggestions. The car will start when it sits for about half a day or maybe shorter, but that is what I have realized. New plugs and wires, just replaced fuel and air filter. Battery is fine, alternator is good. Checked plugs, show brown wear nothing out of the norm. Once the car is started however, it has a high idle, around 2000-3000rpm. Drove the car to work one morning, then drove it to autozone to pick up an oil filter, and it would not start in the parking lot to get me home and had to have it towed. The accelerator pedal is not stuck (high idle problem). The motor turns over, but just wont start. I don't get it. Someone suggested possibly bad fuel guage, and that I am almost out of gas..but not sure as I have never had this problem in the past. I know the speedo cable is out of wack, so who knows what else is up with the guage cluster, but that part aside, what else could that be, and is the gas scenario reasonable.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, but not right after I get it to start. (gasp0matikz)

well, add some gas, silly! That will answer your gas gauge question. I doubt that is it though.

There might be some stuff in your gas tank. Car starts, runs awhile, then crude reaches filter, it gets clogged, car dies. Next time it wont start, check to see if you are getting gas by pulling the plugs and cranking it over and smelling.

If you are getting gas, then check for spark. If no spark, start troubleshooting the dizzy. etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, but not right after I get it to start. (sol2hatch)

Okay, went to work on the car again today, added 4 gals of gas to make sure it wasn't sucking anything up from the bottom, and that it was not the gas guage reading off and that there was plenty of gas in the tank. Started up, had a high idle around 2000rpm, and then shut it off, tried to turn back on, doesn't start. Turned fuel pump off, and aleviated any current pressure, tried to start with fuel pump off...started right up, and died after the fuel obviously got drained from what was in the line. Turned fuel pump back on after I shut it off, started up and high idle again, turned off, would no longer start. Possible that the fuel pump is malfunctioning and flooding the car with fuel? I am still trying to get some knowledgeable suggestions now that I have worked on the car further and have more information.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, but not right after I get it to start. (gasp0matikz)

Try the main relay
Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Funky car problem, starts up when it sits, but not right after I get it to start. (messeduprex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by messeduprex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try the main relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that
Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ur coil could be going