Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fun times with high mileage - the clock spring/cable reel/brake light/horn issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fun times with high mileage - the clock spring/cable reel/brake light/horn issue.

So my 1993 Si has 282k + on the chassis/original motor/original transmission. That's miles for you foreign folk, which translates to roughly 454k kilometers. Anyhow.

About nine months ago, my horn and brake lights started working intermittently. I found that repeated blows to the steering wheel restored some kind of functionality, if only for a few moments, and so I assumed the most annoying - my clock spring/cable reel (I've heard it called both) **** the bed.

I've tested the brake pedal switch, I've tested the brake light sockets/circuits, I've tested the horn, I've tested the horn relay (I can hear the ************ click every time I press the horn buttons) and I've tested my legendary patience. All proved in fine working condition.

Fast forward to the present. Yesterday I replaced the clock spring with a known working unit with all the same options (cruise, no deployed airbag, etc.). Nothing. The horn doesn't work, the brake lights don't work, I don't know if cruise works because I removed the module a while ago, but I would assume not.

What else is there? Anyone? I'm open to suggestions not because I give two ***** about driving without brake lights - I'm very cautious when people are behind me so as not to cause an accident because Miss Suzy is on her cellphone and jerking off her Pekingese puppy while applying makeup and eating Wendy's in her H3 - but I WANT MY GODDAMNED HORN BACK! There are too many moron drivers in Columbus for me to deal with as it is, and not having the shrill, effeminate Civic horn o' doom (TM) makes life just a little less bearable.

Someone help me or I'm going to buy a megaphone.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fun times with high mileage - the clock spring/cable reel/brake light/horn issue. (Archidictus)

No one can even comment?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fun times with high mileage - the clock spring/cable reel/brake light/horn issue. (Archidictus)

I guess all I can offer is to check continuity in your wiring. I know that sounds stupid, but it sounds like you've totally exhausted every other method of troubleshooting.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are too many moron drivers in Columbus for me to deal with as it is, and not having the shrill, effeminate Civic horn o' doom (TM) makes life just a little less bearable.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
^ This **** is f'n priceless!! I included the trademark, so I don't have to pay royalties, right?