Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

full coverage insurance cover everything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full coverage insurance cover everything?

alright so i'm finally in the process of getting my 97 civic fixed up but i'm going through the usual stage of paranoia, which i assume is normal. so far, i have proximity and backup battery, but i still feel that this isn't enough. if i get full coverage insurance and have receipt of labor from shop and some parts, would i get refunded in case my car gets stolen? i just need some piece of mind because my car's not even out of the shop yet and i'm already feeling scared. any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: full coverage insurance cover everything? (froogle29)

You have to report everything you have aftermarket on the car. Then you pay a higher premium. Then you get gap insurance. Then if its stolen you have everything paid off and your left with nothing but a 0. But a 0 is better than a -2399
Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: full coverage insurance cover everything? (froogle29)

Nobody here can answer this question for you.

You need to call your insurance agent and ask him/her how to get everything on the vehicle covered. Some companies simply will not add coverage for mods, while others may, but like aqua said they will charge higher premiums to cover the actual value of the vehicle.

That's the catch with modde Civics - you get performance of a much more expensive car, with econobox insurance rates, but if the car is stolen/totalled, you also get econobox pay out too.

My agent told me an appraiser would have to access the value of my 1992 Civic, but there are no "Civic appraisers" that are recognized by State Farm, so there's not much I can do. They did offer me some sort of show car coverage that basically covers everything, is affordable, but if the car is totalled outside of driving it to or from an event I'm 100% screwed.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gap insurance isn't for when you car is stolen, it's actually theft insurance that covers that. Just go to your agent and tell them what you've done, provide receipts, tell them you want theft coverage too.

Gap insurance is when you're in an accident, and the check the insurance company will cut you might be less than what is owed on the car. This difference to pay-off the car is what's call "GAP" coverage.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: full coverage insurance cover everything? (B18C5-EH2)

It depends on the company. I called Geico and they wouldn't cover my car at all b/c I have engine modifications but they would cover exterior upgrades for an additional premium.