Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers

Did a compression test today and the damn adapter piece got stuck in the spark plug hole. Didn't realize it was still in...screwed the spark plug back in and the electrode and insulator/porcelain tip broke and these were only a week old Yes I had the adapter piece screwed on tight before putting down there. Tried Loctite but no go, tried over and over again with the tester to get it out but nope. Finally just got a big flathead and tapped a indention in the adapter and got it loose enough to use a needle nose.

Now need to go throw this piece back to Autozone and go buy a new spark plug

Still got a question though, do I need to get 4 new plugs or can I just get one? Also is it fine to leave a piece of the white insulator/porcelain down there? I don't think there's anyway to get it out.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (JJSpecTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJSpecTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to let you know, i've used Snap-On compression testers that also gets the adapter stuck in the hole. It's not just the Autozone ones. What I would try to do is put some thread locker red, screw it on, and leave it there for 2 hours, then try removing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I already got it out if you read it all Did have a question at the end though.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (DFW)

its fine. it will pass the valves.

somtimes you have to let it cool, b4 your try to take out the tester
Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its fine. it will pass the valves.

somtimes you have to let it cool, b4 your try to take out the tester</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should I crush it more lol...I'm scared
Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure, how big is it?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure, how big is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that big at all, I guess like milimeter
Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shop vac?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (jibs)

What kind of motor? If its a GSR I wouldnt recomend it sense the valve clearence is extremely low (.008 I think).

Go get a long thin thing... like areally long pencil, or like the middle section of a coat hanger and tape a peice of double sided tape on there and see if you can pick it up with that. I wouldn't crushing it. You could damage the top of the piston.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (jibs)

you can buy just one but i go to napa and get a set of for NGK plugs and its like 6 bucks.

absolutely nothing should go inside ur engine other then oil. i'd try my best to get it out. but thats just me. it would bug the **** out of me knowing that something fell in and i left it in.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (93eg2james)

good advice about the shop vac! !!!! try that route i think its gonna be your best bet
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (Donkey85)

those are good ideas, if you cant seem to get it out. dont bust your ***** over it. ive seen D series spit out some ****, causing zero damage.

if you decide that you cant get it out, b4 you start the car put something at the tail pipe to catch it, save it. lol thats memorabilia

good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (Donkey85)

eh, you could pull all the plugs and crank the motor, and hope that the little peice shoots out

if the peice is small enough, you could try vaccuming that little sucker out, or as suggested above get a little stick and wrap some double sided tape around it and try to fish it out.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (Heylookits shawn)

[QUOTE=Heylookits shawn]eh, you could pull all the plugs and crank the motor, and hope that the little peice shoots out
QUOTE]

Just pull the ECU fuse from under the hood. No fuel, No spark, just crank
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=Heylookits shawn]eh, you could pull all the plugs and crank the motor, and hope that the little peice shoots out
QUOTE]

Just pull the ECU fuse from under the hood. No fuel, No spark, just crank</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would that just make it shot out from the exhaust?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Which is the ECU fuse? The fuel fuse is still out from doing the compression test..
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=Heylookits shawn]eh, you could pull all the plugs and crank the motor, and hope that the little peice shoots out
QUOTE]

Just pull the ECU fuse from under the hood. No fuel, No spark, just crank</TD></TR></TABLE>

but that would make it go through the valves, which could potentially get stuck and cause some damage. pulling the plugs would enable the little chunk to get blown out of the spark plug hole, in theory anyway. it works when you have oil in there, but porcelian is alot more dangerous than oil
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM

yeah i did it that way when i had drill shavings int the cylender (helicoild casue i snapped a plug off) but an electrode is much larger and might just bounce off your head causeing damage

i would put the cylinder at BDC and look in with a flash light you might be able to get it with a telescoping magnet.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg8tuner)

Just cranked it with all the plugs out, fuel and radio fuse out. Found some piece of it on the floor but i dunno if it was already there or not and couldn't see anything the hole either...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (DFW)

I guess thats a good sign. If you cranked the motor, then obviously the valves moved. If nothing happened doing that you'll most likely be fine.

Good to hear a happy ending in this thread.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess thats a good sign. If you cranked the motor, then obviously the valves moved. If nothing happened doing that you'll most likely be fine.

Good to hear a happy ending in this thread. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hope so
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man this always scares me every time I pull my spark plugs out. Really hope it doesnt mess anything up. I cant give you any other advice other than what people have suggested. You may want to try and shoot some compressed air in there for awhile. But you really wont know where it went
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kuja396)

What could happen if there still was some in there?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP, try using a long tube blower and stick it in the spark plug hole, and put a vacuum behind it. make sure that the piston is on the compression stroke, so it has nowhere to go but back out the hole.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DFW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What could happen if there still was some in there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it was left in there, theres a possibility that it could get caught in the valve seat and bend the valve. The valve stem is surprisingly weak. Any slight bend, and you lose your compression and you have a dead cylinder.

I have a question for ya. How does someone with over 10000 posts not have a clue about something like this? Or at least, the basic principals of engines and how they react to foreign matter?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_DC4_Fanatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_DC4_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To the OP, try using a long tube blower and stick it in the spark plug hole, and put a vacuum behind it. make sure that the piston is on the compression stroke, so it has nowhere to go but back out the hole.

If it was left in there, theres a possibility that it could get caught in the valve seat and bend the valve. The valve stem is surprisingly weak. Any slight bend, and you lose your compression and you have a dead cylinder.

I have a question for ya. How does someone with over 10000 posts not have a clue about something like this? Or at least, the basic principals of engines and how they react to foreign matter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I mean it's not everyday that something like this happens...trying to get advice before I try anything.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Got this little ****** out just now, threw all the other pieces away last night...hope that's the last piece. It's a whole lot smaller than it looks.

Quick Reply: Fuking POS Autozone Compression Testers