Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel and Temp Gauges maxed out!? :(

Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel and Temp Gauges maxed out!? :(

Ok well before I begin, I just want to make clear that I am not just some Noob who doesnt know how to work on a honda. I am working on a 94 civic with LS swap and a stock cluster. Here is the car:

Heres the story:

I removed the gauge cluster like I have done 100 times before with no problems. I removed each of the individual gauges (RPM, Speed, Fuel/Temp) individually from the cluster while retrofitting some LEDs. When I put them back in for some reason my fuel gauge just slowly rises to max. I was very confused so I checked alllll the connections on the plugs and all the screws on the back of the cluster and everything looked perfect. I even tried cleaning all the connections including where the screws go on the back of the cluster. I also thought it may have been from using the wrong screws to put them back in (because there are both brass and stainless on the cluster) After swapping the screws in every combination I put it back in and what do I see? Now both the temp and fuel gauges rise to the max once power is on! The fuel gauge rises very slowly and the temp rises very fast.

I checked the power and grounds on both temp and fuel gauges and they both are at about 12v. When checking the signal wires the one going to the temp is 9v and the fuel is at 2v. This makes me wonder if its not the gauges at all but something else. I really have no idea how I could have messed the sensors or harness up as I didnt even touch them though. I dont know what I did that would make the fuel do this first and then after doing nothing but swapping screws have the temp do it to. I have taken this apart 1000 times with no problems and am so confused. Please help!!!

Any help is appreciated, I will honestly pay to whoever has my answer cause I dont wanna buy another gauge cluster.

I guess Im going to try swapping my friends cluster in and see what happens.

Modified by Just*Hatched at 1:17 AM 6/11/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel and Temp Gauges maxed out!? :( (Just*Hatched)

You know those aluminum covers in back of each temp and gas gauge. They are on right? Have you tried switching them? **** that's all I can think off really.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel and Temp Gauges maxed out!? :( (mortificationrock)

Ok well I think it MAY have something to do with that. It seems like I may have lost 1 of the covers because I only have 1 cover on now and there should be one on both I believe. I tried swapping the 1 cover on each gauge and it seems to have no effect though. I dont know if those even serve a purpose other than for protection.

Any input?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel and Temp Gauges maxed out!? :( (Just*Hatched)

Well that's all I can think of really. Have you checked your fuses? Unplug battery for a while? Ecu reset(fuse trick). **** I really don't know I guess try anything that comes into mind.