Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fuel system issues, car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system issues, car wont start

just a little preface, this weekend i swapped out my gas tank because the 6 bolts on the tank near the fuel pump lid snapped off when the previous owner swapped the fuel pump. gas tank went in relatively smoothly, hooked everything back up but now the car wont start.

so after changing the fuel tank, there was some gas in the lines so it started up but it was idling like crap, and once all that fuel was cycled, now it wont start up at all, it cranks and cranks and sometimes it will turn over for like 1 second and then it keeps cranking..

i also changed the fuel filter, however, the gauge i have on the filter is reading ~38psi which i think was about the same as i had before... cant really remember. i might try the old fuel filter just to rule that out.

is it possible that because the bolts broke, the lid wasnt allowing enough pressure to be created and now it has too much pressure?

its a 92 si, b18c1, has walbro fuel pump, 440cc injectors, generic fpr.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fuel system issues, car wont start (hoperegrine)

just to add to this - after trying a bunch of things, i ended up swapping the spark plugs, and hooking the wires up to an oscilloscope and got a good reading. Keep in mind the engine and everything is in near perfect condition... or at least was before all this... The car starts up now, but idles horribly (~100-200 rpms) and you pretty much have to give it gas from dying the whole time. I think the banjo bolt (w/ FP gauge) might be cutting off my gas, I'm going to rule that out later probably.

Oh, and its also smoking really really badly, with whitish smoke... I have a video here to demonstrate just how bad... lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwEmbkWdPmQ