Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fuel pump problem HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump problem HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

well i was driveing up a really steep hill and and i was hammering and my car started to cut out...it did it a bit more going up the hill and then it was fine for the rest of the day...the next day i drove to work and it was fine.. then on the way home from work it stalled 2 times and now it will not start at all.....the fuel pump will not prime but i pulled the pump and tested it and it works...anyone have any impute... i cant find the main fuel pump relay on my 00 civic si....i checked all of the fueses and they are all fine.. anyone have any impute??????thanks...o yah help me please!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: fuel pump problem HELP ME PLEASE!!!! (projectlude)

anyone??? i need my car!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant find the main fuel pump relay on my 00 civic si....</TD></TR></TABLE>The PGM-FI Main Relay is located in the Front Passenger corner of the Cabin. If you remove your Glove Compartment, you'll see it along the right hand panel...
http://img220.imageshack.us/im...4.jpg
To remove/replace it, you'll have to remove #11 & #12...
http://slhondaparts.com/browse...=true
so that you can access the attach point here...
http://img74.imageshack.us/img...6.jpg

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i checked all of the fueses and they are all fine..</TD></TR></TABLE>BEFORE you remove anything, double-check your fuses with a MultiMeter. It's the only sure way to know...

If you've already checked your Fuses with a Multimeter AND your PGM-FI MR is functioning properly (testing it is a 3 page process in the Helm Manual), then you'll have to trace the signal you're getting to your Fuel Pump... From the FP to the Floor Harness to the Main Harness to the PGM-FI MR to the ECM/PCM to a place that is over my head... Hopefully others will be able to help if you need to do this.

How did you test your Fuel Pump? Any CELs? GL, in any case, and let us know how things go!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: fuel pump problem HELP ME PLEASE!!!! (JasonGhostz)

wow thats a lot of stuff.. and i tested my fuel pump by pulling it out and hoooking it up to my batterie and it turned on...it had a check engine for improper catalyst and for knock sensor...i have a helms manual but i guess im not smart when it comes to electrical stuff because its way confusing... thanks for the inpute...
Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tested my fuel pump by pulling it out and hooking it up to my battery and it turned on...</TD></TR></TABLE>This pretty much rules out a bad FP. Next, check that you're getting signal from the Floor Harness to the FP. The Floor Harness runs along the Driver's Side Trim, and the FP Power Wire will be Yellow/Green stripe. You should also check that the ground for the FP is flowing when "in use". The stock location for the FP's Black Ground Wire ends at G552, near the Driver's Seat Rail.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it had a check engine for improper catalyst and for knock sensor...</TD></TR></TABLE>Are these gone now? It's always best to fix the things you know are wrong first, instead of potentially creating more problems. Also, sometimes the symptoms you experience can be remedied by fixing seemingly unrelated problems (not necessarily this situation).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a helms manual but i guess im not smart when it comes to electrical stuff because its way confusing</TD></TR></TABLE>BS. 99.99999999% of the time, it has less to do with one's "intelligence" and more to do with one's willingness... We have to be willing to learn, as it takes time, effort, and practice. Skills will follow. I see myself as a perpetual noob (and I'm probably better off for it), but once you start gaining confidence from doing the little things, you'll realize that all it takes is time and desire.

Anyway, are your Tail Lights, Reverse Lights, etc working? If not, check the connections between the Floor Harness/Main Harness, and the Floor Harness/Under-Dash Fuse Box...

Do you have a MultiMeter? P. 11-237 in the Manual shows the steps to properly test the PGM-FI MR...

Hope this helps... let us know!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-24-2007, 08:01 AM

wow thank you for the detailed description on how to figure this out.. i will have to get a multimeter and check this stuff out.. thank you very much and i will let you know what happens..
Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will have to get a multimeter and check this stuff out..</TD></TR></TABLE>For troubleshooting like this, especially for a starter, you don't need go all crazy yet with the SuperShizzle. A simple analog (needle/dial indicator) one will do for now, but if you want to start researching models for down the line, Fluke and Craftsman make good quality DMMs. I eventually went with the Craftsman 81079, and bought the Waekon "Bed Of Nails" and Gold Universal Jumper Lead Set... I'm such a tool *****... I still use my Actron more ($20), since I haven't gotten screw-in Banana Plugs yet... LOL!!!
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...79000
http://www.waekon.com/PS/catalog/wg11.html
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16159

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, thank you for the detailed description on how to figure this out... and I will let you know what happens.. </TD></TR></TABLE>NP. That's what Honda-Tech is supposed to be all about! If you think my advice helped, just wait until the REAL gurus arrive... Hopefully, they'll be in the mood to help. Besides... YOU HAVE A HELM MANUAL!!!
Good luck, and let us know!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-24-2007, 06:58 PM

thanks for the info im going to ask around work tomorrow to see if anyone has a needle/idle indicator before i go and buy one...i will let you know whats happening.. and thanks again..
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

ok i just tryed running my fuel pump direct to my battery to see if the car would start and still not starting...would that let my car start? or do i have bigger problems.. i am getting a test light tomorrow and then i can see where the power is lost...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 PM

i just pulled my plug out and checked for spark and def..no spark...