Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel pump bad? *Pictures*

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump bad? *Pictures*

For awhile now I have had problems with car and the fuel.

At first my car would start to die on me when i had low amounts of gas. I would press the pedal and the car just would not go untill I turned it off then back on. I had a mechanic look this over and he replaced my fuel filter and told me it was either that or I was running out of gas.

After getting it back and keeping a fair amount of gas in it. I did not have any problems. Then after awhile when i would go low on gas this problem would happen again put if i kept pushing down the pedal over and over it would eventually get back up and go.

Recently i let a friend borrow my car.(again low on gas) He said he kept having problems with it wanting to die and it would spudder and did this the hole way back to my place.

I did not mess with the car for about a week after that. Finally today i took tried taking it to a gas station and put about $5 in gas in it. Started up fine, Drove fine for a couple minutes. Then soon started loosing power as if it was out of gas. Never actually died on me, Was slow, but i managed to get it to the gas station.

Filled it up with gas started it up, Everything sounded/felt just like it should. Reved it up to make sure there where no *blump* sounds like it was doing. Thought everything was good so i put it in drive and began to be on my way back home. got a couple feet untill the car started doing the *blump* sound and acting as if it was running out of gas. came to my first stop(still doing the blump sound) then took off a little hard on the pedal i hear a POP sound and the car took off right after that as if the exhaust was clogged and finally was unclogged.

Still felt a little weird to me while driving. when i would come to a stop then speed up the blump blump blump sound would come then slowly go away after gaining speed.

Anyway. I took out my fuel pump my self and took a couple pictures.
The filter is a brownish color with some black spots on the bottom. It's hard at touch and seems to be pretty bridal as when taking it out of the tank little peices fell off the filter. Everything looked old and a little rusy and hard to take off. As if the pump has not been messed with in a long time. 94 civic with 124,000 miles on the body 90,000 on engine. Do i need to replace this?
Attached Images    
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Fuel pump bad? *Pictures*

Can't say by looking at a fuel pump whether it is bad. You really need to measure the fuel pressure.

In addition, have you resoldered the main relay?

When was the last ignition system tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition timing)?

Any CEL codes?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That filter on the fuel pump is a sediment screen. If it's hard and "brittle" it may be shellaced over and no longer pourous. Sometimes a lot of fuel additives and moisture (from condensation due to low gas in the tank for a long time) can shellac it. Might be a part of the problem. You can replace the sediment screen and see if it makes a difference. When new fuel pumps are installed sometimes they require replacing the sediment screen to warranty the new pump.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really sure how to measure fuel pressure, But I take it ill need to buy a kit for that.

I have never resoldered my main relay. It is time I should?

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor where all replaced when i bought the car about 1 and a half years ago. But i have had this car in the shop so much almost half the time it was sitting or being repaired. Should they be looked at? or replaced?

No CEL while engine is running. It does however show up then go away when i turn my key. But i think that's normal.

Could this also be a clogged injector?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
You can replace the sediment screen and see if it makes a difference.
Excellent idea since the pump is already out.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECwalka
Not really sure how to measure fuel pressure, But I take it ill need to buy a kit for that.

You may be able to get a free rental at an auto parts store.

I have never resoldered my main relay. It is time I should?

Definitely.

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor where all replaced when i bought the car about 1 and a half years ago. But i have had this car in the shop so much almost half the time it was sitting or being repaired. Should they be looked at? or replaced?

Plugs, cap and rotor are worth inspecting.

No CEL while engine is running. It does however show up then go away when i turn my key. But i think that's normal.

That's normal when there's no codes.

Could this also be a clogged injector?

Possibly. But first replace the filter sock as was mentioned.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the car has sat long periods of time with little gas on more than one occasion. If i'm going to buy a new filter and i don't know for sure that it's not the fuel pump it's self shouldn't i just go ahead and buy a new pump with a filter? I just don't want to buy the filter when it was the pump that was bad.

Do most autostores carry these? or do i need to buy online?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fuel pump is a LOT more expensive than the sock filter. Start with the latter.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. I will resolder my main relay

Check plugs, rotor cap

and order a new filter.

I will get back with you after these are finished.Thanks so far.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Main relay resolderd

new spark plugs

New distributor rotor and inner and outer O rings

New fuel pump sock/filter(The old sock was deteriating and a hole bunch of it was in the gas tank where the sock fits down into. i couldn't get it out so i just broke it up and put it too one side then put the pump back in)

Also put in a bottle of GUMOUT injector cleaner in the gas tank

While putting the spark plug wires back on I stupidly mixed one of them up and tried to start the car with no luck and i now have a CEL(not sure if the fire order being wrong caused this)and the car would not start(obviously)

Figured out the fire order was wrong soon after, put them on the right way, Car started up without a problem, revd it, sounded good. So then I tried resetting the ECU by tanking the negative terminal off and letting it sit for awhile(this is how i do that right?)

Then turned it on again and took it for a drive. At first It gave me no problems.

then after about 5 minutes or so i felt the car sputtering when ever i would hit the gas pedal

For example. Id come to a stop and let off the gas pedal. As soon as id hit the gas pedal after taking my foot off it it would sputter for maybe 5-10 ft then take off without a problem after it took off and my foot was on the gas there would be no stuttering but EVERYTIME i would take my foot off the gas then press it in again it would stutter for a second.

I only drove it around for 10 min after getting everything fixed. haven't drove it anymore.

And i still have a CEL on
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the CEL code - see Codes sticky.

How old are the plug wires and distributor cap?

Did you check the ignition timing or measure the fuel pressure?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The code was 21. My vtec solenoid was fine but the sheild the wire fits into ended up being broken so i had to take the wire and jam it down the other sheild that connects to the battery.

No CEL anymore.

I replaced the hole distributor about a year and a half ago. Cap looks good, no oil, all the seals where actually fine too but i replaced them anyway. Rotor had a little burn spot on the metal so i bought a new one.

Plug wires look alright they are about 2 years old. Car starts up just fine.

I can't do ignition timing or measure the fuel pressure as i don't have a light or gauge
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECwalka

I can't do ignition timing or measure the fuel pressure as i don't have a light or gauge
Auto parts stores may offer free rentals for both tools.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gap the plugs? .044
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought NGK R plugs(the exact ones my engine calls for) at autozone. He said before buying them they are already gaped for the vtec engines. So id assume they are. Haven't had a problem with spark so i'd say there fine.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plugs are gapped at the factory, but if they're dropped the electrode can be bent. It's always wise to verify gap.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, I'll need to get a tool for that as well
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tool to check spark plug gap should cost you about 85 cents (american). Most auto parts stores have a little paperweight looking thing that you can put on your keyring that has a thin outer lip that you use to measure spark plug gap. Always have one!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't ever believe them when they say they are gapped already. Always check cuz I bet 1 or all are off a little and none are probly gapped the same
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove my car around for about 20 minutes just a little bit ago

At first it drove smooth and perfect then after awhile when ever i tried to accelerate the car would not go past 2k rpm's It would hit 2 go a little over then bog back down to 2 over and over.

Sometimes it would go over 2 and once it gets past 2.5k the thing would take off.

It seemed like sometimes id give it more gas and it would get over 2 and go other times i would give it gas and it wouldn't do anything.

But once i get it over 2500 it runs fine no bogging down or anything.

Then if i let off the gas and let it go under 2 it would bog down again and id have to let off the gas and try and give it gas to get over 2000 or it would just stay at 2.

No CEL.

Don't know if this changes anything but this is an automatic tranny. But i can rev it just fine all the way up once its in park
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump*