Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel Line Fitting Stripped ... Help?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Line Fitting Stripped ... Help?

I went to change my fuel filter today on my 97 Civic hatch. It was going smoothly until I went to take out the feed line. It looks like the previous owner took it to some retarded shop monkey at Jiffy Lube or some other bogus facility .... and they rounded the **** out of the 14mm fitting on the feed line from the tank. It's the fitting that goes into the bottom of the fuel filter.

The line I'm talking about is #13 here. This is a $100+ fuel line and is a full hard line, no soft sections to splice.

The question is this: How do I fix this? I'm sure I can get the fitting off with a little bit of vise-grip love ... but how do I go about fixing the problem without replacing the entire fuel line?

Is there enough play in this to clip the flare off (maybe 1/2" tops), and put on a new fitting?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch this happened to me on my EG heres what i did i went to a junkyard got another end peice just cut it off. Doulbe flare the end of your messed up line get one of those little pipe cutters. Use high pressure fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps and get a peice of metal tubing from a parts store cost in all bout $10 not including tools Good Luck
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 PM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

Yeah, that's a viable option ... only issue is the amount of flex in the hose for the next time I try and remove the bolt.

I could always just double flare the end, and install an NPT brass fitting with a nipple, and use some injection line (silicone lined).
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: FV-QR (Eran)

thats what i did with my brake line.

after to take the fuel line off, cut a section that is less than 1mm, then slide your new fitting on flare it which takes like MAYBE half an MM

so really there is no need to worry about loss of line length.

also don't cut it with something that requires you to pinch the line, and nothing that throws sparks.

meaning pnuematic tools are OUt. use a hacksaw light pressure
Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 PM

i clipped mine and installed one of those clear v8 fuel filters for carbs and i have a walbro fuel pump with no issues.

i was told that they dont hold pressure but thats a lie its been over 2 years and im still rollin with the same fuel filter with snipped lines. anther good thing is its clear and i can tell when its time to be changed.

i used linesman pliers to snip and a phillips screwdriver to open the line back up straight. as long as you cut it clean it shouldnt be all messed up to where it cuts the fuel line.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (sr20hardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sr20hardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i clipped mine and installed one of those clear v8 fuel filters for carbs and i have a walbro fuel pump with no issues.

i was told that they dont hold pressure but thats a lie its been over 2 years and im still rollin with the same fuel filter with snipped lines. anther good thing is its clear and i can tell when its time to be changed.

i used linesman pliers to snip and a phillips screwdriver to open the line back up straight. as long as you cut it clean it shouldnt be all messed up to where it cuts the fuel line. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the ones where you have the replacable element?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 AM

this is the exact fuel filter i used.

http://secure2.data-comm.com/s...etail

as you can see its made of plastic yet holds the pressure of a 255 walbro so thats gotta be good right?

i know those clear glass ones are top notch but i think they're made more for bikes not sure how much fuel they can flow. i know the ones for a v8 are more then capable of flowing enough for a honda plus it was only $1.99 lol

by the way you can get these at your local auto parts store i never liked the big bulky metal honda models that you cant even see how clean it is. its just a freaking fuel filter all you're doing is keeping dirt out your fuel injectors.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

Guess it's time to get a close-quarter hack saw and single flaring tool from work ... this sounds like a project for another day.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or cut your line and measure it and use this!!! cheap and it works!!!! save you alot of money and time!!

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php

part number # 165056
Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

I'm not using a compression fitting
Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is ... this!!!

??? |</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a flare to -AN conversion
Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is ... this!!!

???</TD></TR></TABLE>

AN adapter for your stock fuel line so you can run a braided line and a AN style fuel fliter
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not using a compression fitting </TD></TR></TABLE>

im using it, so far so good, 1 and a half year with no leaks!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 AM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

I know what a compression fitting is. When I replied, there was no image or link.

I want it to look relatively stock and function as stock. I am not interested in using different kinds of filters or braided lines.

I'm looking to fix what I have with minimal change to the overall appearance and functionality.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 AM

dude seriously save yourself the time and headache and do what i said. you're obviously gonna have to hack the line so why use a big a$$ heavy filter that'll no longer mounts in its original spot since the hard lines been cut? these clear filters are small! all you need is some fuel line they wont droop down like it will if you go about trying to fix it the right way yet the right way would be to replace the line its your call.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

Well, if I only cut off behind the flare and reflare the line, I will have minimal loss. I can just slide the filter down in the holder.

I like my car to look clean and factory-fit. A plastic inline fuel filter does not meet those requirements. Just because you don't like how it looks doesn't mean I should change my car.

Ghetto is not an option.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know what a compression fitting is. When I replied, there was no image or link.

I want it to look relatively stock and function as stock. I am not interested in using different kinds of filters or braided lines.

I'm looking to fix what I have with minimal change to the overall appearance and functionality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like you either have to replace it with a stock line, or hack the stock line as minimum as possible so the stock filter would bolt into the stock place and find a fitting that is the exact same as the stock fitting and flare it.

GL!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 AM

personally i dont do ghetto so i know whatcha mean it actually looks kewl! lol how many people can watch their fuel flowing in a fuel injected car?

this also takes up far less space then that big bulky a$$ black thingamabobber.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if I only cut off behind the flare and reflare the line, I will have minimal loss. I can just slide the filter down in the holder.

I like my car to look clean and factory-fit. A plastic inline fuel filter does not meet those requirements. Just because you don't like how it looks doesn't mean I should change my car.

Ghetto is not an option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

go for it.

you have multiple options upgrade to braided and army-navy setup.

or run the factory steel ( tends to rust on the insider-out in some snowy areas) hard line.

easiest by FAR. just take the bolt off the top of the filter cut the old fitting off.

get a new fitting, filter reflare and install, probably looking at 30-40 min install if nothing goes wrong, expect **** to go wrong, if you can't get a good flare on it.

hit up the army-navy fittings
Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

Yeah, if necessary, I will do a flare-AN compression to the factory filter. I would rather it just look (and function) like stock, but that's the closest option that isn't a plastic filter zip-tied to the firewall.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, if necessary, I will do a flare-AN compression to the factory filter. I would rather it just look (and function) like stock, but that's the closest option that isn't a plastic filter zip-tied to the firewall. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what he implied was to get the -AN adapter, then get an aftermarket filter for the -AN lines.

IE what all the k20/24 guys have
Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 AM

i know pics would help im just trying to tell you its not as ghetto as you think it is and this is an easy fix that lasts! you'd have a harder time trying to get fittings sealed up with crush washers etc... but like i said do as you wish just trying to help lol
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sr20hardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">personally i dont do ghetto so i know whatcha mean it actually looks kewl! lol how many people can watch their fuel flowing in a fuel injected car?

this also takes up far less space then that big bulky a$$ black thingamabobber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well ... I'm not exactly hurting for space. And I don't care about watching my fuel flow. I'd rather have a black thingamabobber that has 150K+ mile capacity. That's right, if you contact Honda, there is no scheduled maintenance on a 96-00 Civic fuel filter. They're lifetime.

The only reason I'm replacing mine is that I've gotten some bad gas lately, switched fuel tanks and pumps, and did a methyl alcohol treament through my tank and injectors. I am afraid of what I've dragged up.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 AM

well good luck on your decision i know you'll get it figured out i just hate to see you waste so much time on something so simple which is why i was pushing so hard! lol
Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sr20hardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know pics would help im just trying to tell you its not as ghetto as you think it is and this is an easy fix that lasts! you'd have a harder time trying to get fittings sealed up with crush washers etc... but like i said do as you wish just trying to help lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ya, that fukin crush washer on those OEM fuel filters are a PITA.

just get new ones LOL