Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge problem

Hello,

This is my first post here. I recently bought a 1999 civic hatch CX. Overall the car was a great buy and I am happy with it.

I do need some help with my problem. My fuel gauge is not always working. As of right now if it turn the key toward the on position but do not start the car the gas gauge will adjust to show the correct amount of fuel in the tank.

I have done some searching and it seems that these are the 3 main issues associated with this problem,

#1 The fuel float is stuck (seems this is not likely as the gauge will go to the correct position when the key is forward but the car is not on).

#2 The actual fuel gauge on the cluster is broken, from what I have read this is fairly common. (I do not suspect this is my problem as the gauge will adjust when the key is forward without the car running).

#3 The fuel sending unit is malfunctioning due to age or other deteriorating factors, or it has a poor ground connection. (I feel this is most likely the cause of my problem)

So moving forward, I am going to start by working on #3. It is my understanding that I need to remove the rear seats in my hatch to gain access to the fuel sending unit.

I however am not sure how to best remove the seats, do I need to remove just the bottom of the seat or the entire assembly?
Also I am not exactly sure how to test the fuel sending unit, I read that it can be checked with a multimeter but I do not have access to one at this time. Another way to check it that I read was to unplug it and if the gauges goes to empty, that should be a good indicator that the sender is in need of replacing. (Does this sound accurate?)

Anyways good to be here, sorry for posting such a common issue but I do like to have the reassurance that I am on the right track.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel gauge problem

Anyone?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel gauge problem

Hey hows it going. You will only need to remove the bottom seats. This can be done with a 10mm or 12mm (i forget what size) socket/spanner (which ever works best for you) the bolt is located in the middle of the bottom cushion towards the rear. Will probably be best if you go at it from behind (thats what she said). Lift the cushion up from the back and you should be able to see the bolt. After you remove that bolt, lift the bottom cushion up from the back first, then straight up, then it should unhinge from the front as you pull straight up.

Found a link for you http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=219617