Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fuel cut-off

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 04:11 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel cut-off

today, while trying to burn a mustang with my b16a powered 98 civic hx (with p72 ecu from 99 gsr) i accidently revved to 8Gs.. ( revs so fast i forget that i have to shift faster) .. well anyways.. my engine sounds like it was lagging or something and then when i looked down at the tack, it read 8Gs and the needle was jumping toward 8.5 and down again. I think i was experiencing fuel cut-off.

my question:

is this damaging to my motor? anything?
Old 08-31-2001, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default Re: fuel cut-off (vhg119)

Yes you are. Try not to do it again. Fuel cut-off is there so you don't detonate your engine by "over-revving." However, maybe doing this once is okay, but just be careful next time. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!! Btw, did you beat him?
Old 08-31-2001, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (FastxCivic)

nah, that's not true...there is nothing wrong with hitting the fuel cut off....that's why it's there...to protect you from over reving.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:37 PM

Default Re: fuel cut-off (DragIIcivic)

it's not going to hurt anything to bounce of the limiter- hell, it probably puts more strain on the drivetrain than the motor- from the jerking.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fuel cut-off (fixhondas)

Okay, did anyone pay attention to SCC when they had the SI project car? What happend to it while it was being raced and hitting the rev limiter? CRACKED THE HEAD!!!! Yup, the loss of pressure from going to full fuel then to no fuel and back again = NOT GOOD. You might get lucky a few times however, don't think it is okay to bump it. Hell you might get lucky and only blow the head gasket, either way, think about what is going on inside the engine? Or if you want to feel what the engine feels, put the car in first...now from a slow roll (5 mph) bounce your foot on an off of the gas pedal......WOW, mutliply by lets say 50 times, that is how your engine is feeling. STAY OFF THE REV LIMITER!!!!! If not for your sake, for the cars.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (Spade)

sorry bro, but hitting the rev limiter was not the sole cause in that, Detonation was...and there isn't any danger involved in hitting it.
Don't believe everything you read in Magazines.

BTW, Myself and Several of my friends, as well as people on this board have hit the rev limiter under a FULL 10PSI of boost, and have not sustained any damage...
that is a real world first hand example.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (DragIIcivic)

Yes and no, I ment to also add that the driver SAT on the rev limiter threw an entire turn. Cannot remember his name but he is notorious for tearing apart cars drives the KOOL car in Cart......N-E-Way, the reason I added my 2 cents was that he had said that he notice the tach bouncing from 8500-8000 that is sitting on the rev limiter.

I also have bumped the rev limiter....and in (i regret owning it) the Ford Ranger, cracked the heads the second time I hit the limiter.....in the HX, no problems....I just ment to say, don't aim for it, aim before it.
[Modified by Spade, 3:32 AM 9/1/2001]

[Modified by Spade, 3:34 AM 9/1/2001]

[Modified by Spade, 3:34 AM 9/1/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I gotcha now.....that is true...you SHOULD NOT EVER sit on the rev limiter CONTINUEOUSLY.....

I was argueing that an occassional bounce will not hurt anything...
if you hit it, you obviously need to get off it asap...

hope that clears it up to all curious parties
Old 09-01-2001, 01:23 PM
New User

wow.. thanx guys.. i'll try not to do that again.
anyways.. yeah i beat him on the take-off but then i forgot to shift and was hitting the limiter so (he being on a higher gear and i traumatized over my car rpm jumping around) i was left in his dust.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys basically hit all points already. Hitting the rev limiter on occasion doesn't hurt per-se, not to say one can rest his foot on it but, none the less I've hit the rev limiter on both my Civic and Teg numerous times with no damage. Check out those "Best Motor-Ring" videos of the those testers in Japan doggin CTR's, ITR's, NSX's, Skylines, Silvias etc.. one thing I noticed about them, they were NOT affraid of the rev limiter one bit, and these cars were being flogged on the track for 5-10 laps non-stop, matter of fact I don't think the ITR the camera was in saw less than 7-7.2k rpms the entire 10+ mins of the race! Rest assured Honda knew what they were doing when they placed the limiter where they did. Interesting note, one tester in a PY '00 CTR was ripping around solo on a course over there, and one interesting thing I noticed, all his shifting came at 9-9.3k rpms!! On a stock B16B! Odd how Honda placed the rev limiter so high up past the redline (8.4k rpm), that or it was disabled altogether but whatever the case, it was aweseom seeing that needle sweep over to 9.3k more than once and listeining to the engine simply scream as he was approaching the corners... :drool:
Old 09-02-2001, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (VTC_CiViC)

Sure, those TEST drivers weren't afraid to hit the rev limiter, it's not there car!
Old 09-02-2001, 12:52 PM

Default Re: fuel cut-off (Loco Honkey)

[Edited for content]
Old 09-03-2001, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (Loco Honkey)

Loco...I somewhat disagree with you....IMO a dangerous lean condition doesn't occur because you have a fuel cut....not a fuel slow....So there is a spark, but little or no combustion to propell the engine...All fuel from the previous firing would be burned under normal operating conditions...it coasts for a split second till you get off the redline..detonation doesn't, and wouldn't occur unless you laid on the redline.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:44 AM
New User

Default Re: fuel cut-off (91ED7Si)

that reminds me when i was like 12 i had a friend who just got a tercel[at that time you only had to be 15 to get permit in ky]
and it didnt have a tach and he just drove down the street constantly banging the rev limiter...
he either forgot to shift or didnt realise he needed too or something.
just to let you know how stupid he is..he was tripping on acid and drove threw a dirt parking lot..there was a big rut filled with rain water..and he thought it was GLASS! so he tried to drive over it and dunked the whole front end of the car in ahahaha.
WTF does this have anything to do with the subject that they are talking about?
Old 09-03-2001, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (92CivicSiR)

taken care of
Old 09-03-2001, 06:41 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have bumped the rev limiter....and in (i regret owning it) the Ford Ranger, cracked the heads the second time I hit the limiter
Well that right there explains why the head cracked

Old 09-03-2001, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel cut-off (spyder)

Yup, that is why the head cracked......found out when I took the truck in it was under full warranty......got new heads for free, and new warranty, loved beating the hell out of that thing. But, not a retired drunk anymore so, got myself a real car.