Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   fucked up my second gear (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/fucked-up-my-second-gear-996375/)

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:09 PM

fucked up my second gear

i grinded my second gear tonight pretty damn bad and now it makes a little scratch noise everytime i down shift into second gear and it pops out of second when i go about 10-15 mph. i'm guessing it won't go away , so what happened did i fuck the snycro's or the whole clutch? please let me know what you think and how much you think it will cost to get replaced or fixed. thanks in advance.

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:11 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (jdm123)

I would say syncros not the clutch

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:15 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (bgoetz)

how much does it cost to get the syncro's replaced?

Jim Truett 09-19-2004 07:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please let me know what you think and how much you think it will cost to get replaced or fixed. thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The synchro sleeve set is about $280 retail, plus labor. I say start looking for a good used tranny.

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:17 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (Jim Truett)

shit.. so i just need to get the syncros fixed and everything will be alright again?

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:18 PM

don't know if you have a shop do it alot because a tranny is no fun to dropand take apart. You may be able to do it yourself with a helms manual. I have done a bit of tranny work but I don't know if I would try it my self. the helms is a must though it will give you ALL of the answers and then some.

Kamin 09-19-2004 07:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shit.. so i just need to get the syncros fixed and everything will be alright again?</TD></TR></TABLE>
you could have bent a shift fork too.

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:21 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (Kamin)

i'm a idiot

Redline96LX 09-19-2004 07:21 PM

Replacing the actual synchro is a small part, not too expensive. Labor is gonna way overshadow the cost. They will change you buy the hour, dropping the tranny, totally dissassembling it, and while there there, itd make sense while droppin all this cash, to replace all the synchros. It will be cheaper to get a used one in good condition with nice synchros, even installed, itd be more worth it.

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:23 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (Kamin)

if that was the case then why just is 2nd??? I shift fork would be a hell of alot easier though https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

Jimmy 09-19-2004 07:23 PM

Do what i did.

Take the tranny off yourself (less cost)

Order your parts on slhondaparts.com

Then take the parts to the tranny shop and only pay 150.00 for labor like i did.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/embeer.gif

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:23 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (Redline96LX)

is there any way i would be aable to scope out the problem myself before i take it to a shop and have them look at it?

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:26 PM

go to the helms website buy a helms and go though the trouble shooting pages for your tranny. The helms cost and bit of $, but you will use it for alot more things it is a must for anyone who wants to learn more about their car

ABK 09-19-2004 07:26 PM

Do you rev match when you downshift (like speed up the input shaft, not just reving up the motor with a clutch in).

But some synchro mesh in there see if it will help for a little bit, but start looking for a new tranny.

Street Ghost 09-19-2004 07:33 PM

Re: fucked up my second gear (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you rev match when you downshift (like speed up the input shaft, not just reving up the motor with a clutch in).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you do that? I always thought that to rev-match when you downshift.. you just press the clutch in, select a lower gear, blip the throttle, and let the clutch out.

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:33 PM

i wasnt aware of the whole input shaft thing what would that be

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:36 PM

the shaft that conects the tranny and the crank really important

ABK 09-19-2004 07:37 PM

clutch in, pop out of the gear, let the clutch go bleep the trottle, clutch in, in gear, clutch out. This way you speed up the input shaft in your tranny so your input shaft matches the speed of the output shafts. This way you don't mesh gears like crazy.

*Camera inside the car showing their foot work*
Watch some of those race series like that scca and all that stuff. It's amazing how well they do it, heel toe and rev matching (that's some nice driving).

dohcdelsol 09-19-2004 07:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clutch in, pop out of the gear, let the clutch go bleep the trottle, clutch in, in gear, clutch out. This way you speed up the input shaft in your tranny so your input shaft matches the speed of the output shafts. This way you don't mesh gears like crazy.

*Camera inside the car showing their foot work*
Watch some of those race series like that scca and all that stuff. It's amazing how well they do it, heel toe and rev matching (that's some nice driving).</TD></TR></TABLE>

So its like double clutching but your downshifting correct??? humm.....

green- 09-19-2004 07:48 PM

This sounds like the same thing that happened to one of my friends. Eventually his 2nd gear didnt work anymore and he drove it for 6 months without 2nd gear. 3rd and 4th were starting to go out too. It ended up being his syncro's. He just bought a new tranny.

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:51 PM

I say buy a new tranny, but be sure that it has the VIN # on it you could swap the tranny in a weekend with the helms and a engine hoist

bgoetz 09-19-2004 07:52 PM

and while you are at it change the clutch and maybe add a light weight fly wheel

jdm123 09-19-2004 07:54 PM

if i was made of money i would lol

ABK 09-19-2004 08:01 PM

Is a D or B series? If it's a d you don't need to be loaded.

bgoetz 09-19-2004 08:05 PM

yeah you could find one for ~ $600