Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction

so after an extended downtime, my civic is back up with a centerforce dual friction clutch, and stock lightened flywheel --> thanks to handcommand (just the flywheel)(nice guy btw). well anyway, so far i can't say i'm totally happy with this clutch. After installing it, at first i thought i got air in my clutch lines, because the pedal was extremely easy to push down.

Turns out thats just the way it is, i think the pressure plate that came with this dual friction clutch is EXTREMELY weak sauce. Its making me worried, and i'm wondering if its going to slip when i give it full throttle launches and shift gears hard, after break in. I dont know if the PP has the clamping force to keep it from slipping under around 200ft/lbs of turbo honda torque.

anyone have any experience with these clutches? I'll update after break in, but for now i'm warning everyone to steer away from this brand/clutch line.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (s1ngle)

Something's wrong and it's probably not the PP. It should not feel weaker than stock.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (litterbox)

what would it be then? I completely flushed and bled the clutch hydraulic lines... clutch is fully engaging and disengaging.... what else would it be??

NOTE: I didnt say the clutch disc itself felt weaker than stock, but it seems like the pressure plate is. The pedal is just easy to push down, meaning the PP doesnt have much force.

edit: I talked with Andy offline, he warned me that my clutch might not be completely disengaging, and suggested clutch pedal free play adjustment. I'll do this tonight, but until then, anyone have any other similar experiences or feedback on this?

Modified by s1ngle at 1:38 PM 10/6/2005
Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (s1ngle)

I have experience with Centerforce and all I can say is that they suck *** Mine went out after about a year and a half, with just a shitty turbo kit on a B18B. I have an Exedy 3puck now and its holding up great, on my new LS/Vtec turbo-- 223ftlbs of tourque.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (TurboCoop)

3 puck? damn, thats a serious clutch, i should get a 1 puck

What happened? did it just fry? do you think the pressure plate didnt have enough clamping force? how was your clutch pedal pressure?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (TurboCoop)

some clutchs are like that..... you did everything you can to make it stiffer.. I really dont think the stiffness of the pedal has much to do with how the clutch will hold because my friend with a stock honda had a stiffer stock clutch than mine.... sometimes clutches are just softer... I put an aftermarket clutch in (dont remember brand was higher than stock thoug) and the pedal was softer. A guy told me that its just how some clutches are all depends....
Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (Slow_CvC99)

very well could be. I think litterbox may have a point though, my clutch may not be fully disengaging, because i am getting some weird clutch grinds too.... but i swapped on a new tranny and figured it was just the tranny (even though i was assured it had no grinds) so we'll see if a pedal adjustment helps.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: frustration and potential warning - centerforce dual friction (Slow_CvC99)

My old Centerforce just kept gettting worse and worse, until I couldnt go over %50 throttle in 3rd and up.. It was horrible, I never saw the clutch after it was taken out cause I didnt put the new one in so I didnt see the damage. The 3-puck I have now is great, its very streetable too, cause its sprung. Not that expensive either.