Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Wheel bearing issues??`

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel bearing issues??`

So I have a 1992 civic hatchback. I have the humming sound that usually comes with a bad wheel bearing. I know that many people have this issue and that all the replies tell the people that its in fact the wheel bearing.

I have changed the wheel bearing and ball joint on the drivers side and still no luck. I went to a salvage yard and bought another hub and installed it still no luck in curing this issue.

Has anyone come across the same symptoms as a wheel bearing without it being a bad wheel bearing (i.e warped axle, or maybe a bent or bad tie rod).

Any help with is issue would be great. Thanks ahead of time
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front Wheel bearing issues??`

On mine it was the TIRES stupid azz Walmart Goodyear tires (on it when I bought it)..
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have changed all 4 tires, the humming sound only gets bad when I turn the wheel left when i turn right its all good, but the left killin me.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then it sounds like the RF bearing
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can possibly be a bearing in the transmission, the pilot bearing, or the stock differential that is going out.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u think its the bearing kick the wheel and if i jiggels more then it should its the bearing or lift it and if u can more the tire from side to side hell yeah its the bearing
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Humming noise that is load (weight not torque) dependent is almost always wheel bearings or tires. Generally when turning left and the noise goes away the bad bearing is on the left, and vise versa for turning to the right.

Originally Posted by Josueneta
if u think its the bearing kick the wheel and if i jiggels more then it should its the bearing or lift it and if u can more the tire from side to side hell yeah its the bearing
The wheel isn't supposed to jiggle. And side to side wobble in a wheel tells you that either the inner tie rod, outer tie rod, or wheel bearing is bad. Top to bottom wobble in a wheel tells you an upper ball joint, upper arm bushing/s, lower ball joint, or wheel bearing is bad. Wobble in both directions (side to side & top to bottom) tells you that the wheel bearing has been bad for a real long time.

Bad pilot bearings only make noise when they are being used (in gear, stopped, clutch pedal pressed).
Bad differential bearings will make noise regaurdless of turning direction.
Bad transmission internal bearings make noise when under a load (accel & decel) and, when really bad, when stopped in neutral with the clutch pedal released.
Bad throw out bearing will only make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed.

I hope I helped you narrow down the possibilities for your humming. It is possible that the right rear could be the bad one, before you go replacing more bearings, jack the R/R up so the wheel's off the ground, keep the e-brake off but the car in gear & blocked so it won't roll, spin the tire as best you can and listen closely (put your ear fairly close) for the humming (kind of more of a growling from outside the car) sound from the center of the wheel. If you don't hear anything or only a faint scraping from the brake, then it's probably safe to do the front.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so i just wanna get this right. If i am turning right and the sound goes away I should changer the right wheel bearing?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure its your bearing, I have all the same symptoms in my 94 eg, turning one direction.... noise goes away.... other direction its worse.... and I just took it down to the shop and they told me its a bad wheel bearing.... so how hard is it to change a wheel bearing? basic shop tools..
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its something to take to a shop to change out the bearings but to take the Hub off is really pretty easy.
Well I am going to replace the passenger side Wheel bearing and see if that helps
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and no more noise. It's so nice