Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Sway Bar Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sway Bar Installed

Wassup guys, today i finally put my Suspension Techniques front sway bar in my 92 hatch. Everything went well with no problems and the car handles alot better.

Only one draw back, my sway bar rubs against my exhaust when i go over a bump or downshift or anything of that nature. Is there something i can do to prevent this from occuring again?

Thanks, John
Old 10-15-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (nY's FiNeSt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nY's FiNeSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Only one draw back, my sway bar rubs against my exhaust when i go over a bump or downshift or anything of that nature. Is there something i can do to prevent this from occuring again?

Thanks, John</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either get an OEM swaybar or get some exhaust work done.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (tonyXcom)

any other options?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:10 PM

not really. they hit eachother. one of them has to move.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not really. they hit eachother. one of them has to move.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup
Old 10-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (Pho Real)

By handles better do you mean reacts to steering input better but understeers about twice as bad? Yeah, that's what I thought you said.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (Archidictus)

alright i just took a look under the car, it's actually hitting the cat, not the exhaust itself.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:36 PM

bump
Old 10-15-2003, 03:19 PM

geezz..this iso simple. what kind of miricle answer are you looking for?

you have 2 things that are hitting eachother.

One or both of them has to move.

Either move the swaybar or move the cat.

Cant move then swaybar then move the cat.
Cant move the cat then move the swaybar.

Cant move either then remove swaybar. Problem solved.
Cant move either then remove the cat. Problem solved.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 PM

sorry, i was thinking maybe the cat could be pushed in just enough to clear the sway bar or maybe after a while of rubbing it'd bend on it's own
Old 10-15-2003, 04:41 PM

yeah, thats why I said at the very beginning..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyxcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Either get an OEM swaybar or get some exhaust work done.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Unceasing Measure

Take the front swaybar off. It's hurting your overall handling anyhow, whether you choose to accept that fact or not .

Crisper steering response, yes.
Perhaps better launches, maybe.
Better cornering, no.
More understeer at the limit and an earlier limit imposed, yes.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:28 PM

LOL. Nobody ever uses front swaybars huh?

Matched with a good rear swaybar, you can take away any understeer the front gives you.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL. Nobody ever uses front swaybars huh?

Matched with a good rear swaybar, you can take away any understeer the front gives you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't read anything about a larger (or even an existing) front swaybar. Obviously you can offset the negative effects of a front swaybar on a Honda with the appropriate rear counterpart, but you cannot deny anything I've said in the event that it's the only suspension strengthening he's done.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you have some extremely stiff springs, you want a front sway. If the understeer is too much, then get a smaller front sway or a bigger rear bar.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:40 PM

Swaybars basically do two things: they decrease roll while cornering, and they decrease grip while cornering.

You can offset understeer with a bigger rear swaybar, but you're simply decreasing overall grip in the process.

Front swaybars induce understeer. Rear swaybars induce oversteer. This is why it's popular to run EG hatches in autocross with a big rear swaybar and no front bar. The car tends toward oversteer while not sacrificing grip.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By handles better do you mean reacts to steering input better but understeers about twice as bad? Yeah, that's what I thought you said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you speak the truth. worst mod ever.

i rock Sustec pro SS coilovers and NO swaybars. It rules. incredible grip in all corners and perfectly tail happy for cones and street
Old 10-15-2003, 06:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't read anything about a larger (or even an existing) front swaybar. Obviously you can offset the negative effects of a front swaybar on a Honda with the appropriate rear counterpart, but you cannot deny anything I've said in the event that it's the only suspension strengthening he's done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, but dont give other readers the impression that front swaybars are the devil, because they aren't.

Last time I checked, the ITR came with a front swaybar and its arguably one of the best handling fwd cars in the world. The CTR has a rather large front swaybar at 26mm and its handling is near, if not identical to the ITR.

Also, lets not recommend to your average driver to disconnect or remove his front swaybar and leave just the rear. As soon as they let off the gas on a turn, they are more then likely gonna oversteer themselves out of control.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you have some extremely stiff springs, you want a front sway. If the understeer is too much, then get a smaller front sway or a bigger rear bar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i have really stiff springs, i don't really feel any understeer, that's why i'm kinda scratchin my head
Old 10-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have really stiff springs, then your sway bar isn't doing much. Think about it, the main purpose of the sway bar is to reduce chassis roll. Chassis roll basically occurs when one side of the suspension is compressing while the other is extending. Stiffer springs won't compress as much and keep the chassis from rolling as much (if at all).
Old 10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
egizzle8

I'm getting ready to install my agx's and teins s-tech and was looking to put swaybars on my dx hatch but after reading this it makes me unsure to buy a whole front and rear kit or just buy a rear bar or run nothing at all. Help! Should I or shouldn't I buy a whole kit or just run nothing?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (egizzle6)

I would recommend a sway bar setup. Personally I don't think that you'll find a kit better than the OEM bars.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:42 PM
egizzle8

If I go OEM should I stick with just the si/ex or get a ITR swaybar?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:58 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (egizzle6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I go OEM should I stick with just the si/ex or get a ITR swaybar?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep cant go wrong with oem , ive got a jdm itr rear sway on the back and no sway in the front , hard cornering when i let off the gas it loves to oversteer , but i like it and if your used to it , its not a problem at all . im still debating on whether or not to get a ctr front sway , havent decited yet.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Installed (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yep cant go wrong with oem , ive got a jdm itr rear sway on the back and no sway in the front , hard cornering when i let off the gas it loves to oversteer , but i like it and if your used to it , its not a problem at all . im still debating on whether or not to get a ctr front sway , havent decited yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if only ctr sways fit on an eg

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Installed