Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front suspension bottoms out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP : front suspension bottoms out!

sup guys, i have the Tein SS damper kit and a skunk2 front camber kit on my 2000 civic, i dont have it set too low, there is about an inch of fenderwell space all around and the damper kit is set 4 notches from the stiffest setting. when im driving down the road its fine, but when the concrete suddenly increases about a half an inch or so, or if i hit any kind of raised surface in the road going faster than like 20 mph my **** bottoms out in the front hard as hell, like my cd player skips like **** and everything. has anyone heard of this? i cant stand it and i dont see any dings or scratches on the camber kit or in the wheel well really.... please help.

Modified by 2ndchancehonda at 11:47 AM 5/24/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (2ndchancehonda)

bump
Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 AM

Doesn't sound like your bottoming out. What size wheel/tire combo are you running? When you hit sudden transitions like that it's just a severe jolt especially when your running low profiles with relatively stiff suspension setups.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (axhandler)

i have 15 x 7 work emotion CR's on 205/50/15 yokohama es100's... i cant figure out whats going on to save my life....
Old 05-24-2004, 07:52 AM

I know what your talking about.....happens with my SPC Camber kit and TEIN Flex's also...Though I am pretty low and i think its the camber kit hitting the top of my fender well.

I raised the car up a tad and now it only does it on really hard bumps on the road

BTW I'm not really seeing any dents or scratches on my upper control arms either
Old 05-24-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (CivicEKCP)

yeah, sounds like the same problem, i raised it up some last week and it helped alot, but it still does it some... anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:21 AM
el diablo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raise your car up.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (Built2Spill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built2Spill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">raise your car up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

aiight rich... like i said before i have about an inch inbetween the tire and fender. thats high enough for it to not be doing this...
Old 05-24-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: HELP : front suspension bottoms out! (2ndchancehonda)

bump
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axhandler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't sound like your bottoming out. What size wheel/tire combo are you running? When you hit sudden transitions like that it's just a severe jolt especially when your running low profiles with relatively stiff suspension setups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is more than likely what it is. Most all cars that have a stiffer than stock suspension and lower profile tires will do this.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (96hb)

Hey did you check your buimp stops? You may need to replace them. My dad's 93 RX7 had those problems. But then he had over sized rims 17" all around. 235 in front and 275 in back. Anyway the tires would fit the fender well under extreme cornering. and that was cause the bump stops were crapped out. Try replacing them
Old 05-24-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (96hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is more than likely what it is. Most all cars that have a stiffer than stock suspension and lower profile tires will do this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts are that with the camber kit it has changed the suspension geometry enough to make the top of the UCA to hit the inside fender well....the only way I can see to fix this is to shorten the arm on the knuckle that connects to the UCA...or to raise the car

I am running 15's with 195 50's.....I know the issue has to do with the camber kit...because none of this happened before I put it on....and I was lower then

atleast this is the issue on my car....i can't be positive about the thread starter.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:07 AM
el diablo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: front suspension bottoms out! (CivicEKCP)

This is exactly the problem...it is the camber kit. I have told him to either raise his car up or take the camber kit off. It was not doing this before installing them which would lead me to conclude this is the problem. once again raise your car up.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:32 AM

If the Skunk 2 camber kit hits the fender well then so will the stockers. The arms are the same other than the adjustable ball joint on the end.

Heres a visual...

If that is what's going on then something is bad wrong. Check all your bolts and make sure everything is secure, could be something loose.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built2Spill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is exactly the problem...it is the camber kit. I have told him to either raise his car up or take the camber kit off. It was not doing this before installing them which would lead me to conclude this is the problem. once again raise your car up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

aiight richard... um first of all. i never had my car lowered before the camber kit, when i put on the Damper kit i installed the camber kit with it (at the same time) so... your little comment about before installing them is bullshit... anyways, i know the bump stops are still good cuz the camber kit is like a month old... i guess i'll just live with the clanking....
Old 05-24-2004, 10:36 AM

the skunk2 camber kit looks to be a lot bigger though. since its adjustable that part that holds the bushing or whatever is way bigger.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:43 AM

Yeah...it's a little longer...

The one way to be sure is to put your car on jackstands, take a wheel off, then jack up the lower control arm and see how close the UCA gets to the wheel well.

With a 1-finger gap you should not be hitting...

I'm going to stick with my original statement that cars with stiff suspension setups hate bumps.